cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suppliments

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Suppliments

What's your view on suppliments such as vitamins and all the rest.

Personally I think they are unnecessary except in rare instances.

Having said that I have been taking Glucosamine for years, never had any pains in any of my joints despite walking miles but I keep taking the stuff, perhaps it's the placebo effect, who knows.

13 REPLIES
Fixes: 121

Re: Suppliments

I prefer a balanced diet than taking supplements but when I get periods of extreme tiredness I do take Vitamin B tablets as recommended by my previous GP which always helps. I do wonder whether I should take them on a permanent basis.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Can they help with spelling?
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Vitamin D is now recommended as a supplement for over 60s by the NHS, mainly because as you get older you don't make as much in your body. 

Minivanman
Hero

Mainly rubbish, this poor lady took a pile of them as an aid to detox and looked what happened.

milk thistle

molkosan

I-theanine

glutamine

vitamin B compound

vervain

valerian root

Misguided money wasting madness in my opinion. As @Mav suggested, unless treatment for a specific ailment then a balanced diet is more than enough.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-38495088

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

I get my vitamin D supplement by going to Portugal for 6 weeks in Feb/Mar. I haven't been able to get the NHS to pay for it thoughSad

Minivanman
Hero

Vitamin D @nozzer ?

You need to get out more! Wink

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/vitamin-D-sunlight.aspx

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 121

Minivanman wrote:

As @Mav suggested, unless treatment for a specific ailment then a balanced diet is more than enough.

When I say a balanced diet I mean that the sweet weighs as much as the dinner so the tray doesn't tip over on my lapCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Minivanman
Hero

@MisterW

Always fancied joining some sun away from our winter for a little while at least.

Do you have a second home there, or are you getting some sort of good deal price wise? If so, I might look into it for myself and Mrs Minivanman for next year. Thumbs Up  

Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Vitamin D @nozzer ?

You need to get out more! Wink

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/Summerhealth/Pages/vitamin-D-sunlight.aspx

Yebbut as you get older you cover up more in the glorious British weather (ie most of the time) to keep warm. I can't do like these kids that walk about in the snow wearing just a t-shirt, and kecks of course!

Community Veteran

@Minivanman,

No, we don't have a second home there. Out of season ( up to the end of March ) it's usually possible to negotiate a good deal if renting for 4 weeks or more, often 1/2 any advertised price

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@MisterW

Excluding the cost of rental what is the cost of food and other things you need whilst out there, ?

I ask because of the change in the value of the £ many expats say things have become more expensive.

Equally what sort of weather have you had in the past whilst out there, and in which area ?

Thanks.

Smiley

Fixes: 47

I no longer take drugs of any kind..knowingly.

I'm told that various vitamins and minerals may be retro added to some breakfast cereals but not in tablet or capsule form.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

@gleneagles,

Food is cheaper in Euros than here in pounds so at present you're looking at saving about 20%. Wine and beer is much cheaper, a decent bottle of wine is less than 3 euros. We rent a car while there, around 50 euros/week but you could get by without.

We stay in the Western Algarve, weather is generally pretty good although you can get some bad days. If staying for 6 weeks then a couple of bad days isn't a problem but if going for just a week then  it would be.

Temperature is around 17/18 in Feb rising to low 20's in Mar. In the sunshine and out of any breeze it's warm enough to sit on the beach in shorts and tee shirt. Can get chilly in the evening though...

Hope that helps