cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplies

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Supplies

Ok, so I've been intrigued for a long time. Just where do these ebayers get their supplies?
It seems that everyone has something to sell but no-one knows any suppliers of anything. I met a ebayer recently in person who bought something from me privately. He openly said he was a trader on ebay and bought new stock by the pallet load. Offered to help me get started and when I emailed him about it the tune changed to "I buy stuff at bootsales and fix it then ebay it".
So how does one find things to sell?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
18 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Supplies

Google is your friend..... I just typed in  <  UK Surplus Stock > and got a page full of (potential) suppliers ! ! !...
Wink
N/A

I have a friend who used to do the 'grand tour' of the charity shops in Sheffield, buy what she thought might sell and advertise it on eBay.  She would also add a bit on for postage so if an item went for only 99p she would still make a small profit due to that.
I reckon a lot of people sell personal stuff because they are shopaholics and buy stuff that they just don't need or want.  As someone who dislikes shopping I find this strange but I do know of people who are rather acquisitive and end up with far too much stuff.  With regards to clutter, there is a strong tendency to minimalism these days, particularly as properties are often quite small so maybe that has something to do with it.  
I've sold on eBay (not much I might add) but have been surprised because almost everything that I have put on the site has actually sold and they haven't  been your ordinary every day items either.  One of them was a number plate!
Steve
Pro

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Thanks, Steve....  Cheesy
Steve
Pro

My pleasure Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Steve
Linky

Like the google animation... very cool... but why edit the post and change the link description to Linky?  Huh
Steve
Pro

Ours Is Not to reason why Cheesy But seeing as you asked nicely, It looks better Cool
Community Veteran

Ok lol
Community Veteran

poppy, i'm interested to know how fraught it is to be a seller.  i've had a buyer account for several years and have been fortunate to encounter only two rogues in a hundred transactions.  i reckon 2% and those small sums, ain't bad.  i'm somewhat chary of becoming a seller and usually hand stuff over to a pal who is a power seller.  what has your experience been like?
thanks, steve.  i'm looking at their terms and conditions.  it would appear that they act as middleman to businesses flogging en masse.
Community Veteran

I don't like selling on eBay. I've done a lot of it (just personal stuff, a lot of it from my childhood) but I don't like it. To contend with you have all the PayPal hoops that one needs to jump though, the silly buyers who are unable to read all the information you clearly present on your listing, the annoying buyers who decide not to buy, the ever-increasing fees that eBay charge, the frustration of trying to compete with businesses on a site that was first and foremost for personal sellers…
Yeah. It's annoying.
N/A

Artificer - I have not sold very many items on eBay so always get that sense of trepidation when I set it all up.  Part of it is that I am not a natural born seller and would rather give stuff away to avoid the hassle.  It is not something that I would want to do on a regular basis.  However, despite the fact that some of the items have been high value my experiences have been mostly good.  I had a blip with my first item because I put a reserve price and did not understand the cost etc.  I wanted to talk to someone about it but of course you have to do everything by message and wait for the reply.  IIRC I ended up taking it off and starting again.  
Even now although I am a bit more comfortable with selling I still find it all a bit confusing probably because I don't do it often enough.  The postage thing is one example - some of my items have been collection only so no costs are incurred (to the seller) and I always put no postage but it still appears with a £5 cost.   Huh
eBay now insist on PayPal for a lot of transactions and at first I did not like this form of payment but now I prefer it because I view it as less risky i.e. you are not lodging your credit card details with unknown companies.  Also you don't need to put your address in all the time.
I usually start by spending a bit of time looking for similar items in order to value the one I have for sale.  Mostly things go for similar amounts in my experience.  The last item that I sold was my Windows 7 disks and it got no bids until the last couple of days.  It got a little in excess of what I thought it would and the postage was smaller than I estimated so I was pleased with that.
The money has gone to help my niece and her baby in their new home so eBay has been very useful on this occasion.
Steve
Pro

@poppy I occasionally sell on ebay, Nothing big, Just some video games I no longer require, Generally no one bids until the last few minutes ( That's what I do anyway If I want something ) The last expensive thing I bought on there funnily enough was my windows 7, Bought It a month after release for £79.99, Home premium.
N/A

It pays to do your homework on valuation as I nearly made a mistake fairly recently when I 'inherited' an unusual mill stone water feature.  It turned out to be a bit more valuable than I had put it on eBay for so glad that I took it off after 2 days as we were undecided about keeping it anyway.  It is sitting nicely in our garden now and will be pleasant in summer.
Steve
Pro

Probably would of cost you that to post It off, ( Slight exaggeration maybe ) Grin
Edit Ah you have taken away the bit I was referring to which now renders this post Useless Undecided