cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplier of "steel cut oats" in Sheffield area

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Supplier of "steel cut oats" in Sheffield area

DAK a supplier of 'steel cut oats', sometimes known as 'Irish Oats' in the Sheffield area, pref in 5kg or 10kg sacks/bags. Lembas foods (S8 9QR) did them in 5kg bags, but the're only supplying 'rolled oats' now.
Background information:-
Steel cut oats are healthier than rolled oats, which are used in most oatmeal.  While rolled oats are steamed, rolled, re-steamed and toasted, steel cut oats do not go through these additional processes, which cause them to lose flavour.  Steel cut oats maintain their natural flavour and texture.  Additives like artificial sweetener and salt are sometime included in rolled oats.
Steel cut oats have low calorie content, and no calories from fat.  They also have absolutely no sodium and are low in salt and carbohydrates.  They are high in B-Vitamins, calcium, protein, and fibre.    Steel cut oats are essential to a healthy lifestyle and are a key foundation of the food pyramid.

Best cooked using 2 parts water + 1 part oats, left to stand overnight, then cook in the morning.
SWMBO recons if you like porridge, once you've tried "Steel Cut" you will never go back to "rolled"
9 REPLIES
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 32

Re: Supplier of "steel cut oats" in Sheffield area

Sounds good, I love my porridge (especially with peanut or cashewnut butter melted into it!)
Lembas is just a stones throw from my gaff, I'd be surprised if they can't order you some in.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Community Veteran

@Adam:- Lembus were doing it up until a couple of months ago, now they've stopped, maybe a few requests could prompt them to get it in again.
(especially with peanut or cashewnut butter melted into it!)

That sounds interesting, must try it!. I normally add a teaspoon of 'golden linseeds' the night before and allow to soak. Then top off with fresh fruit &plain Yoguart
Linseed is a very rich source of omega 3 essential fatty acids.  It contains 50 to 50 percent omega 3s, almost twice as much as is contained in fish oil.
Community Veteran

Journeys is deprived of his oats?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Grin Grin
Fixes: 47

The trouble with me and porridge is I turn it into Golden Syrup soup Cool
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 125

I love a healthy porridge breakfast as long as I can cover it in double cream Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

pierre_pierre
Grafter

not sure if this is what you are looking for, found a bag on the shelf in my local Sainsbury's

http://www.flahavans.com/product/buy.htm#uk
they are a bit cagey as to exactly what it is
pierre_pierre
Grafter

apparently another name for steelcut is pin head oats - and flahavans sell them in 1kg and 25kg bags
they do deliver direct  http://www.flahavans.com/contact.htm
Community Veteran

P_P, thanks that's the stuff.
I also checked out their web site and found http://www.flahavans.com/product/porridgeoats/pinhead.htm   will contact them

SWMBO uses steel cut (or pinhead) as a filler for "home made sausages".  http://www.allotment.org.uk/allotment_foods/home-made-sausages/home-made-sausage-ingredients-meat-rusk.php