cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supplements.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Supplements.

I Guess this question has been asked before but what, if any, supplements do you take ?
I Have been on Glucosamine & Fish Oils (Omega 3) for years and must admit have never had any problems with my joints although I accept this is no proof that they work.
If you don't take supplements what's your view of them ? 
38 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Supplements.

Glucosamine sulphate 1500mg per day  - completely stopped very painful knees when walking downhill on the Dorset Coast Path - dirt cheap £15 per year - I did try Glucosamine HCl but didn't see any extra benefit
Ginkgo Biloba 6000mg per day- supposed to improve circulation and appeared to reduce the effects of Raynaud's syndrome - about £9 per year and no noticeable side effects
randpwar
Grafter

I regularly take the Guardian on a Saturday that has a supplement and occasionally the Observer on a Sunday. I don’t take any ‘health’ supplements….assuming Theakston’s Old Peculiar isn’t included  Wink
On a more serious note I’ve always doubted the benefits, although, like you and also without any proof, I think the fish oil ones probably have the best chance. We make a point of including fish regularly in the family’s diet partly for this reason
Fixes: 125

I occasionally take Vitamin B when I am feeling a bit run down, lathergic or just rather low.
I don't take it regularly but when I do it does seem to help things.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

randpwar
Grafter

I’d like to see a trial to rule out the placebo factor
annerimmington
Grafter

I take Aloe Vera juice every morning (fantastic all-round immune-enhancer and keeps the joints mobile), Rose Hip (antioxidiant and natural Vit C and great for stiff joints), Magnesium for heart health (and great for insomnia), high strength garlic tablet (immune enhancer and keep cholesterol low), and Flaxseed capsules (vegetarian source of omega 3 and 6).  I`m a great believer in boosting your immune system and eating healthy food .
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I take various ones, Glucosamine, Green Lipped Muscle extract, Ginko Billba and am trying Ginger extract for my arthritis in my shoulders only been on them for a few days but so far so good.
My wife adds Evening Primrose Oil (eximia) and Black Cohosh.
When we ran out of GLM on holiday once she had problems with her knee and we had to get some from a local shop - so not placebo.
I find the Glucosamine helps my arthritis in my hands, and my right knee problem, the GLP I take for the other knee  Cry (& to help the arthritis)
annerimmington
Grafter

Yes, I`ve heard ginger is good for arthritis, so is Rose Hip.    Ginger is also great for any kind of sickness - sea sickness and upset stomach.
community
Grafter

I have been taking 23 herbal extracts every morning for the last 14 years.
I rarely suffer  anything other than what is normally expected as we get older.
Community Veteran

I take Ginkgo Biloba, CoQ10, Cod Liver Oil, Omega 3 and a good multi vitamin. Also take Zinc if I have the onset of a cold.
I used to take Glucosamine but then it was tested and stated to be of no use.  The NHS stopped providing it on prescription. Have to say since stopping it I haven't noticed any adverse effects. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Hard to know what works and what does not.
Often the trials carried out are paid for by the company that produce the product so the results are usually on the positive side.
Even products that have been proved to work can sometimes be shown to have adverse side effects which are only discovered years later.
Also depends on the source of the products as some firms cut corners to keep the price low...What it says on the box may not be what's in the box 
Community Veteran

I think in the case of supplements there is no need for exhaustive testing and some claims are impossible to prove.
Glucosamine has an interesting history.  It started as a supplement recommended for joint problems.  An official trial was carried out at St. Peter's Hospital in Surrey as a result of which it was made available on prescription.  Further, more detailed trials were carried out and in the end NICE decided it had no beneficial value and removed it from prescription on the NHS.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the trouble with suppliments at the moment is that very few of the shops selling them tell you about the side effect, they are trying at this moment to bring in restrictions
take Ginkgo Biloba
Side effects
Ginkgo may have undesirable effects, especially for individuals with blood circulation disorders and those taking anticoagulants such as ibuprofen, aspirin, or warfarin, although recent studies have found that ginkgo has little or no effect on the anticoagulant properties or pharmacodynamics of warfarin in healthy subjects Ginkgo inhibits monoamine oxidase, and therefore should not be used by people who are taking certain types of antidepressants (monoamine oxidase inhibitors and selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors or by pregnant women, without first consulting a doctor.
Ginkgo side effects and cautions include: possible increased risk of bleeding, gastrointestinal discomfort, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, headaches, dizziness, heart palpitations, and restlessness. If any side effects are experienced, consumption should be stopped immediately.
Allergic precautions and contraindications to use
People taking pharmaceutical blood thinners such as warfarin or coumadin should consult with their doctor before taking Gingko biloba extracts, as it acts as an anti-coagulant.
The presence of amentoflavone in Gingko biloba leaves would indicate a potential for interactions with many medications through the strong inhibition of CYP3A4 and CYP2C9; however, there is a lack of any empirical evidence supporting this. Further, at recommended doses, studies have shown "Multiple-dose administration of Ginkgo biloba did not affect cytochrome P-450 2D6 or 3A4 activity in normal volunteers. It is possible that the concentration of amentoflavone found even in commercial Gingko biloba extracts is too low to be pharmacologically active.
Community Veteran

All products have some side effects.  Before starting to use anything new check with your GP.  They are provided with information on all drugs, including supplements, and can advise on efficacy etc.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Agreed, but it doesnt help the so called health shops attitudes
this is from one of the biggest
http://www.hollandandbarrett.com/pages/categories.asp?cid=23