cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supermarket offers.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Supermarket offers.

It's not uncommon to see items on offer where the offer is limited to one or two per customer.
What is to stop someone constantly going back to the store and buying these items ?
What made me think about this was an offer for Jack Daniels whiskey 70cl which is normally £23 a bottle but was on offer for £15 but limited to 2 bottles per customer ?
Did I keep going back ?  Surely you know me better than that by now.
Wink
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Supermarket offers.

I haven't actually seen any of those - but then again I don't buy spirits
Community Veteran

I guess the supermarket would be called irresponsible if they didn't try to limit the quantity, but as you say nothing to stop repeat visits.
Fixes: 123

I remember some years ago I was shopping in Safeway with my mother and they had an offer of which we both wanted two items. As I was treating mum I put them all in my trolley. At the checkout I was told only maximum of two per customer. I explained that two were for my mother who was standing beside me and I was treating her. The checkout girl wouldn't accept it so I took two out and put them in mum's basket at which point the girl on the checkout insisted we couldn't do that as I would probably be taking all four of the items home with me. I called for the manager who agreed with the checkout girl so I just walked out of the store with mum leaving my trolley load of shopping along with mum's basket clogging up the aisle.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

It's rules for rules sake. Like the "maximum of 2 paracetamol products per customer", my wife (who works in Tesco) just tells the customer who wants 3 or 4 to put them behind a "next customer" separator, and she will charge for them separately.
But it is also a case of why do you want 12 bottles of whiskey? Do you have a shop where you will be retailing them @a higher price?
Be sensible, if you want 4 bottles then go to self service and put 2 then 2 through.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Hairy
It's rules for rules sake. Like the "maximum of 2 paracetamol products per customer", my wife (who works in Tesco) just tells the customer who wants 3 or 4 to put them behind a "next customer" separator, and she will charge for them separately.

It is ILLEGAL to sell more than two packs of 16 Paracetamol Tablets at a time, in a Supermarket, or other shop.
A maximum of two packs of 32 can be sold over a Pharmacy Counter.
With a prescription, up to 100 sized Box can be dispensed in a Pharmacy.

In 1998, the government restricted pack sizes in the UK to 32 tablets in pharmacies and 16 in other shops.
Your wife, and Tesco could so easily be charged with an offence.
In Tesco, as in other Supermarkets, the till will flag up if more than two packs are presented for purchase.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

WHY is it an offence when they are 2 separate transactions. The limit is per TRANSACTION not customer.
You can also buy 100's in the pharmacy as long as the pharmacist ok's it. Why else would they display bottles containing over 32 on the shelves?
Fixes: 123

Deja-vu

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Yeah... Thanks Mav.... I thought I started a thread on this, a while back....  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PlusComUK

It is ILLEGAL to sell more than two packs of 16 Paracetamol Tablets at a time, in a Supermarket, or other shop.

Any references for this?  I thought 100 is the legal limit, whereas the 16 limit is a guideline.agreed by retailers.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

You could try working it out from this page...
http://www.rpharms.com/legal-classification-of-medicines-db/paracetamol-legal-status-table.asp
interesting to note.... the actual "size" of the tablets has some bearing on the quantities....
also the last column has the number 100 as the maximum that can be sold to one person at any one time...
see also the "notes" at the bottom...
Very confusing...  Huh
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Quote from: PlusComUK

Any references for this?  I thought 100 is the legal limit, whereas the 16 limit is a guideline.agreed by retailers.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1325.aspx?categoryid=73&subcategoryid=101

Rather than all the conjecture, perhaps anyone interested should pop into their local Pharmacy, and get the Law as it stands from the Pharmacist.
Contacted my Pharmacist relative.
She said that a Pharmacist may authorize three packs of 32 Paracetamol, but they would need to talk to the prospective customer to ensure no potential problems.
Authority would not necessarily be given if there was any doubt in the Pharmacists mind
Maximum of 96 tablets without a prescription.
A box of 100 with a prescription.