cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supermarket fuel - good or not so good.

Mal08
Rising Star
Fixes: 2

Re: Supermarket fuel - good or not so good.

Quote from: shutter
There is a main road that goes from Southampton, to Fawley, Oil Refinery... it is very busy with tankers from......

That's the point - it depends where in the country one lives as to which refinery you get fuel from. 
I used to work for a while near the Grangemouth refinery in Scotland and saw allt he oil companis tankers going in and out. I spoke to some refinery workers and they sai the same fuel was stored in huge tanks and then at the point where the tankers refuel were smaller tanks and it was there that other additives were added depending on which oil company it was.
Community Veteran

@Mal08, it's the same thing at Purfleet in Essex. The refinery supplies fuel to a large part of the southeast and all companies pick up fuel from there to transport to filling stations. I wonder if the additives have any beneficial effect Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Who knows IF the additives are put in?  Undecided
Ever seen it ?  We just have to take the advertisers words as gospel........ don`t we.....  Huh
and we all know how gospel they are...... don`t we.....  Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Now, you're just being ridiculous! Roll eyes  Roll eyes
Geoff,
York.
Mal08
Rising Star

Quote from: artmo
@Mal08, it's the same thing at Purfleet in Essex.

I thought Shellhaven had closed - Huh - one of my best friends was a chemist there and would have known about additives etc. But sadly its many years since he passed.
Community Veteran

Wasn't the dispute resolved and the refinery kept open Undecided
Mal08
Rising Star

No - it is soon to become the new London Gateway deepwater port !
http://www.londongateway.com/additional-visitor-information/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shell_Haven
gromittz
Grafter

Nothing soon about it... London Gateway is open. Not fully I'll grant you , but does have paying customers.
Community Veteran

I use supermarket diesel in my cars and have done so for some time. Despite running up high  mileages on the engines there has never been a problem from the supermarket fuel that I have been aware of. However I have just started using a fuel additive, Millers Oils - Diesel Power Eco Max.
Early days yet but MPG is supposed to get better and the engine should run better with the cleaning effect on the injectors. I am paying £1.327 per litre for diesel at local supermarkets and the other stations are up by 5 to 7 pence per litre.
Millers Oils - Diesel Power Eco Max 500ml
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

Only thing i can think of about supermarket fuels is that it seems to be the supermarkets that sometimes get them mixed up - ie diesel in the petrol or petrol in the diesel.
I've heard of this happening several times on another forum yet it never happens with the big brands. Why they couldn't just use different shaped nozzles that only fit the correct tank is beyond me.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

I have noted that the RAC Marketing arm also sell a diesel additive which purports to do wonders with the MPG, catalysts & wear and tear. I also note that BMW do not recommend it.
It seems that most of the mix-ups between the two fuels is caused by users not checking before they squeeze the trigger. I have never known any supplier getting the right stuff into its storage tanks and expect the delivery drivers have a responsibility to check as well. It is true that the vehicle inlets are similar in dimensions, there were differences with leaded and unleaded petrol hoses while they were in use. Square/triangular shapes might be possible I suppose.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mal08
No - it is soon to become the new London Gateway deepwater port !

I was aware of London Gateway but didn't know all the refining side had gone from the area.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

I, too, use Morrisions Diesel.... and I also use Millers Diesel Additive from time to time.... (usually "overdosing" ! ! ! )... It does work, to a point.... can`t say I have noticed any significant increase in MPG, but the engine does seem to run better after a month of "additions" at fillup time.... Also... I use it a month before the MOT is due... it does clean the injectors, and keeps the emissions/particulates low on the test result..