Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supermarket Plastic Bags to be Banned

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Supermarket Plastic Bags to be Banned

A 5p charge for plastic bags expected to cut their use by at least three-quarters will be introduced next year, the Queen will tell Parliament Wednesday.
More than eight billion disposable bags are used in England each year, or a staggering 130 per person.
Environmental campaigners say the carriers, each used for just 20 minutes on average, take up to 1,000 years to degrade.
Though many have a second life, as waste bin liners, dog poo removal etc

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2647716/At-Plastic-bags-banished-Ministers-force-reluctant-s...
338 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Supermarket Plastic Bags to be Banned

Just as long as the charge isn't as backward as the one we have in Wales.
We have to pay 5p for the PAPER bags from McDonald's.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
Infinity
Pro

I used to keep a supply of supermaket plastic bags in the "open to sunlight" boot of my Grand Cherokee, stuffed into a small compartment.
Then, one day I needed to use some, and pulled them out, they came out like confetti, they had degraded in the sunlight !!
They weren't even labelled as bio-degradable.
So I invested, at the exorbitant price of 10p each !, in re-useable thicker plastic bags, which are regularly replaced for free as they do split after a while.
I invested the great sum of £1 a few years back, and must have replaced them at least 5 times since.
Having said that, when I go for my walk-about in the local village, I now carry one of the Tesco Direct thick Hessian bags, not heavy, the main advantage being  very thick round sturdy handles which mean they don't dig into your hands when nearly full, and they have the capacity of around 4 plastic bags.
For bin liners, and other uses, a large Chinese Supermarket based in Manchester sells 1,000 large sturdy carrier bags for £15ish, without the annoying holes in them, there are no young children in the home.

Community Veteran

It would just about be acceptable if they were plain bags.
Instead we end up actually paying for a mobile plastic advertisement.
Personally I always just pick up a box in the shop and use that.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: avatastic
Just as long as the charge isn't as backward as the one we have in Wales.
We have to pay 5p for the PAPER bags from McDonald's.

Apparently, shops with less than 500 employees, ie corner shops, and small chains, will be exempt from having to charge for plastic bags.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: PlusComUK

Then, one day I needed to use some, and pulled them out, they came out like confetti, they had degraded in the sunlight !!

Some such bags merely break into tiny particles that pollute in less obvious ways such as entering the food chain.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1257289/Tescos-green-bags-WORSE-environment.html
I get groceries delivered. Ocado and Tesco take back used carrier bags for recycling. If recycled then there will be no environmental cost other than the energy used in remoulding the bags into new ones. On the other hand if groceries have to be delivered loose then the number of deliveries that can be made in a van will be reduced owing to the increased time to unload. Cost to the environment of extra vans on the road?  Alternatively if customers are going to have to pay for a dozen + bags this will add significantly to delivery costs. An incentive for customers to collect their own shopping instead in order to use reusable bags. More journeys by car instead of a van making many local deliveries?
My local council used to collect thin carrier bags for recycling but in the last year stopped doing so. I guess it depends whether general refuse is sent to landfill or incinerated.
I use multi-use bags when shopping in store. Disposable bags not recycled get used as bin liners. So stop using free plastic carrier bags and start buying and using plastic bin liners. How does that help the environment?
The Daily Mail itself carried a report a few years ago that the environmental impact of disposable plastic carrier bags was arguably less than that of longer lasting alternatives.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1358885/Why-need-use-environmentally-friendly-cotton-carrier...
I have seen no announcement of penalties for wrapping goods in excessive layers of packaging.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: alanf
Quote from: PlusComUK

Some such bags merely break into tiny particles that pollute in less obvious ways such as entering the food chain.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-1257289/Tescos-green-bags-WORSE-environment.html

That's a good point.
Interesting website, though I think it was from 2004...
http://www.packagingknowledge.com/degradable_biodegradable_bags.asp
Also
http://www.thebincompany.com/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=116779486
And Google shows other interesting websites, especially for Corn and Starch based Carrier Bags.

No doubt lots of informed, and also ill informed discussion in the Papers, and TV News, and Online  after the Queens' Speech later on today (Wednesday)
Community Veteran

I can visualise supermarkets having to provide plastic bags embossed with an official HMRC hologram and serial number to prove the bag tax has been paid. This will lead to a plastic bag smuggling crime wave as the Mafia imports fake plastic bags, this in turn will lead to the recruitment of more police to form a Serious Plastic Crime Unit. The next Government led by Wallace will introduce National Identity Cards to allow the Supermarkets to track/prove to whom they've sold bags and incoming travellers  to the country will be searched for illegal bag imports.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

many shops started charging 10p per carrier when labour introduced this, all it did was get the supermarkets to still give out free carriers whilst pushing local shops out of business so they dropped it,
personally I have half a dozen cloth bags that I bought in 99 and there still going strong and I use them whenever I go shopping and often get given funny looks when I inform shop assistants that I don't need a carrier as I already have one ......

this isn't going to change many peoples habits though particularly when most of the shops that used to supply cloth bags for a quid no longer offer them ...
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

The older style Tesco bags, the ones with the vertical blue stripes weigh 8 grams each
The newer style Tesco bags, the translucent ones also weigh 8 grams each
So why do the newer ones keep splitting ?
They feel thinner, is it a different type of plastic ?
Of course, this means more bags than are required are actually used !
Co-op bags only weigh 6 grams each.
And I have NEVER had a Co-op bag split on me, and they do feel more substantial than the newer Tesco Bags.

We’ve now taken to only part loading each bag, so using many more bags.
At least they have uses around the home.

As for re-usable bags, inconvenient to carry 10 bags whilst shopping, if remembered.
Or left in the Car !
I seem to remember a while back some supermarkets gave out free re-useable bags.
WTF
Grafter

Bring it on, I say.
We bought some fabric shopping bags and some insulated cooler bags from Tesco for about £1 each and they're still going strong after 6 years.  They live in the boot of the car so they're always there when we go shopping.  Have to wonder why I used to rely on disposable plastic bags.
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Disposable bags not recycled get used as bin liners.
Same here.  Cool
As the very cheapest bin liner bags cost 5p I'll just pay for bags as and when we need them.
We have plenty of reuseable bags but it's not always convenient to take them with you.
Fixes: 125

I disagree. What should be tackled are the culprits who dispose of the bags without care to the environment and those around them.
I would have thought the majority of people re-use them for storage, waste, bin lining and many other uses yet it is these people that will have to fork out more for their shop because of the inconsiderable amongst us.
My wife has some of the larger re-useable bags but even she forgets to take them with us occasionally and I never remember to take them.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I disagree.
With what exactly?  Undecided
Hopefully the charge will balance out into a small price reduction elsewhere, so the overall cost of shopping will be unaffected by this.
After all it costs the supermarkets to make and distribute the things which must be loaded on somewhere.
Fixes: 125

Quote from: HPsauce
Quote from: Mav
I disagree.
With what exactly?  Undecided

with
Quote from: WTF
Bring it on, I say.
Wink
I don't see how it can be balanced out with a small reduction elsewhere. What if the elsewhere is not on any items I would usually buy? Also, according to the link in the OP the money will go to charity and not the supermarket's coffers.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still