cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supermarket PIN entry pads

geewizz
Grafter

Supermarket PIN entry pads

I've finally cracked. After months of doing that very deliberate looking-away thing while queueing, I've decided to stare at the pad when someone puts in their number. I did it today in a supermarket and it was such a release. It's such an artificial act to try to avoid looking at the most interesting thing that's happening right infront of you.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Supermarket PIN entry pads

excellent . now follow them outside and mug them.
Lo

Point is these pads are wholly inadequate.  There's very little opportunity for the person using them to enter their info with discretion.  I too am always conscious of people looking away whenever I start punching in my number!
The trick is to use both hands, practically smothering the thing so nobody can see what numbers you are keying in.  None of this huge E.T. finger syndrome is required  Grin

cp:green Please do not use a bold typeface as it is seen a shouting and considered rude. I have also removed the italic as it can make the text hard to read. link:rules mod:end
geewizz
Grafter

And what about the banks? I was standing in the queue minding my own business while a customer and the teller had a very public conversation through a glass window. Before the customer left the building I knew that he was carrying four grand in cash and that he was off to pay the builders who are working on his house and "prefer cash" He was asked to confirm his address as a security precaution. Obviously that was the bank's security, not his.
I had enough information to leave the bank, drive round to his house and rob him of his cash in a quiet cul-de-sac. As it happens, I drove past him on my way home as he walked back towards his house. I considered pulling over and offering him a lift for his safety but realised that this would probably be quite suspicious behaviour.
I'll stick to just viewing PIN pads in supermarkets.
Yes, I agree that the pads are inadequate. I find that the worst ones are the ones which are mounted on a stand. You can't turn them or lift them out of view. I like the two handed approach but I also take the extra precaution of touching a couple of extra buttons before entering my number.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The Sainsbury ones mounted on a post can in fact be lifted off and if you so desire hid inside your jacket while you punch away
Lo

God yes, the banks are the worst culprits indeed.
If I need to withdraw a wedge of cash I usually write down my request on a slip of paper such as "Withdrawal £xxxx", but even then they insist on counting it out in full view.  I also ask for it to be put in an envelope which is only slightly more discreet.
I understand it is difficult to hand over cash without counting it out in front of the customer, but why then can they not make the queuing area a good way back from the tellers area?  People should not be able to either see nor hear any personal transactions nor details.
It was good of you to consider offering that guy a lift but yes, it could have seemed a bit suspicious!  As fr those Chip & PIN machines I agree.  Some of them are indeed welded to the bliddy checkout.   Roll eyes

cp:green Please do not use a bold typeface as it is seen a shouting and considered rude. I have also removed the italic as it can make the text hard to read. link:rules mod:end
Stewie
Grafter

I too am always conscious of people looking away whenever I start punching in my number! Roll eyes

Grin And there are those cameras right over the tills, wear a big hat too  Crazy
geewizz
Grafter

Quote from: Stewie
[ wear a bit hat too  Crazy

Is that a speed cap?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Was at a cashpoint yesterday and noticed a bloke taking an unhealthy interest in my activities, so turned to look at him only to have him come closer and peer round me at the screen. I was one step away from asking exactly what my cashpoint manipulation skills had to do with him when he walked away... bit of a weird one. I always tend to have my wallet over my hand when typing in the pin anyway, but still... the urge to kill was rising.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

I find some key pads move, they're usually the ones that fall on the floor Lips are sealed
(I didn't break it, honestly guv).
@Lo
Could I very politely, pretty please, request you change your typeface, it could be viewed as shouting (apart from which when you want to shout, it's more difficult to do so Shocked)
geewizz
Grafter

Obrey, I would have reported that one to the bank that owns the cash machine. Did you check to make sure that there wasn't a card reader stuck to the slot?
Plusnet Alumni (retired) orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Oh yes, always do... ever since my mate saw one on one of the cashpoints outside safeway (bit of a mugging hotspot apparently), went to the machine next door then saw a big bloke come and whip the reader off and scoot in his car. I tend to check for cameras hidden on the top of the cashpoint aimed at the keypad too... you never know.