cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supermarket On-Line Food Shopping... Home Delivery... Do you ?

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Supermarket On-Line Food Shopping... Home Delivery... Do you ?

Recent events have prompted me to finally try On-Line Food Shopping for Home Delivery ...
In my Case, Tesco.
My local store has stopped selling my favourite Hot Chocolate drink, but it is available On-Line, from a Tesco Superstore in the next Town.
Plus, from now until Christmas, they are doing a B.O.G.O.F on another of my favourite tinned foods, Light Choice Baked Beans, four pack.
So, 20 of each ordered, plus some other items, nice thing, at checkout, Vouchers can be applied by tick boxes, without needing to enter codes.
Bulky heavy items with a long shelf life, without the hassle of Car Park, trolley, checkout, time, people etc.
A minimal delivery charge far outweighs any of the above.
And still a hefty discount.
Delivered to the door, I have the space, so storage is not a problem.

Probably 12 months supply of each of the items above.
I've done this a couple of times recently, delivered exactly at the time specified, all items as ordered, no damage, with a very helpful delivery driver, a local who knows whereabouts I live, and a Text message stating items are on their way.
So, for myself, so far, excellent Service from Tesco.

21 REPLIES
Glenn
Grafter

Re: Supermarket On-Line Food Shopping... Home Delivery... Do you ?

I do all of my shopping online...and I've been getting my food shopping from Asda online for 2 years+...minimum order of £25 and no matter how much you order delivery right to my door is only £5.
I have accounts with Tesco and Sainsbury's as well and I've got deliveries from them too an odd time.
It just makes life so much simpler and hassle free to order online....love the fact I don't have to lug my shopping up 3 sets of stairs anymore...they do that for me lol
Cheesy
janitor
Grafter

Used to use tesco home delivery, but as they were about as much use as a chocolate teapot have stopped. After doing online shop I ended up going to the same shop to buy the stuff that was supposedly out of stock, plus stupid substitutions, that in no way had any connection with what was originally ordered, I gave up. The other stores either didn't have half of what we wanted or, the minimum order was to much.
RichAllen
Grafter

If I didn't live round the corner from my local Tesco, and I bought enough food for more than 1 person, I probably would shop online.
Then again, I did a semi-big shop at the new Aldi last week, and I only spent £9.30, whereas the equivalent shop up the road at Tesco would've cost me about £12.
Fixes: 125

Over the years I've used ASDA, Sainsbury's and Tesco. These days when an online shopping trip is necessary then it's Tesco. Never had any issues with them and mistakes (few) have always been rectified and refunds received in a timely fashion.
Last Tesco online shop I bought over £40 worth of goods but only paid less than £9 including delivery once I'd used vouchers Smiley

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

We have never used online shopping as most of our stuff it bought at Aldi.
A Relative uses on line shopping from Tesco. I understand if an item is out of stock they send a similar item, which you can refuse. There is also the question about best before dates, are these better if you go to the store?  I Put this as a question rather as a statement as I do not know but no doubt someone can enlighten me.

Quote from: gleneagles
A Relative uses on line shopping from Tesco. I understand if an item is out of stock they send a similar item, which you can refuse.

At checkout you can review all items and can stipulate whether you wish out-of-stock items to be substituted or not.
It would be nice if the substitution option could be set for each item individually rather than globally, though.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

Fixes: 47

I prefer to visit Tesco in person rather than pay them extra to visit me.
I use my car and shopping gets both of us out and about.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

With the exception of fruit/veg and meat which we buy locally we do all our shopping online and have done for at least the last 13 years, possibly longer.
Mainly because I detest shopping, particularly supermarkets.
Infinity
Pro

Quote from: Mav
Quote from: gleneagles
A Relative uses on line shopping from Tesco. I understand if an item is out of stock they send a similar item, which you can refuse.

At checkout you can review all items and can stipulate whether you wish out-of-stock items to be substituted or not.
It would be nice if the substitution option could be set for each item individually rather than globally, though.

I could select individually, this morning, items to be substituted, or not...
During checkout, before final payment

View Basket option.

I usually only select if the substitute is likely to be a higher priced / or better item.
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
As mentioned above, not with On-line  Food Shopping. as I am relatively new to this, but Click & Collect at my local Tesco store is superb, refunds and returns are immediate, with no questions asked.
Perhaps a visit to collect once a week / fortnight, they know me by name so don't even need order reference, and they ring me if an item comes in early.

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

for the last 8 years all my grocery shopping has been done online because its rather far simpler,
in that time I have had 9 instances of unspecified substitutions for completely the wrong items, 3 instances of none delivery (2 of which were straightforward, 1 not so much because it took them a month to do the refund) and 3 instances of late delivery....
I do chop and change what place I have my delivery from based on what products I'm buying and pricing, often I'll have 2 or 3 grocery stores open in different windows and compare the prices directly to get the best price on the day Smiley
oh and since I haven't had a driving licence for 8 years popping into store isn't a chore I've had to endure for years as well Smiley
like everything else though so long as you take the time and look around you can get massive savings on the essentials leaving a little out of the budget for luxuries (which means chocolate Smiley)
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

@PlusComUK
Found it by clicking View Full Basket which I haven't done before Cheesy

Infinity
Pro

One nice option I am discovering, is that I can amend the order, adding or subtracting items, up until 23:45 the night before delivery.
So, if I want more items I normally buy, or become aware of in the two days since ordering, I can add to the order.
By placing the order I get a specified delivery time, and can modify the order up to 12 hours before delivery
It also gives me thinking time, do I need the item, how many etc to possibly take advantage of free delivery with a slightly larger order.
At the moment I am limiting myself to non perishables, and items easily stored.
I wonder just how good the refrigeration would be, on say chiller cabinet whole chickens, If I buy in store, I can be home in less than 5 minutes, but having a delivery, how long between choosing and delivery, and just how good / safe is the refrigeration in the delivery van ?
Anyone have experience of say chilled items delivered ?

Another plus point for myself, as I am usually online midnight to 3am contacting abroad via SKYPE and phone, it meant once I'd decided on an item, I could sleep knowing the item was on its' way, without thinking I either have to go to Tesco then (3am) or wake up early to visit the store.
And of course, in the light of day, I have a couple of days to cancel whole or part of order, if I so wish.
As I say, I am new to on-line food shopping for Home delivery, so all  input from your own experiences is welcome.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

re chilled /frozen goods,
I regularly have them delivered some items will have a short use by date (normally fresh veg) but rest assured the trucks are refrigerated and being split they have a freeze section along with a fridge section and then the bulk area with all the cupboard stuff, depending on which truck they use it might be all refrigerated (including the cupboard stuff) or as I had once all frozen,
Iceland have been doing deliveries for people for years (although I must confess I stopped shopping with them when they stopped the online service last time around) but I found the idea of my frozen goods sitting near the till for up to an hour defrosting prior to being hauled out the back for delivery somewhat disturbing......
its horses for courses though so do what your happy with, personally I don't have much choice so I've adapted ot online shopping rather well
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you

Tesco delivered within allotted time (14:00-15:00) as usual.
The driver was pleasant and courteous and brought all the goods into the kitchen. One item wasn't available and I don't like substitutions. Everything else was as expected, in bags as requested.
We tend not to add fresh fruit/veg or meat as SWMBO prefers to see before she buys. But we did have mince which was on offer and looked fresh.
Although the delivery charge of £5 is a little more than what the trip would cost in petrol it has saved the missus from carrying it from the car to indoors Wink (we did get a lot of tinned goods)