cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Supermarket Curse

Fixes: 47

Supermarket Curse

I've been to Tesco and Iceland this evening and both had me pacing around cursing.

The reason, they both relocate stuff to different aisles on a regular basis.

If I was in training for the 2020 Olympics it would be fair exercise but I'm not.

I know why they do it and it doesn't work with me because I have a secret weapon, a shopping list.

I keep it well hidden while in the store because I know how much supermarkets hate them.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
27 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Supermarket Curse

I hate it when supermarkets do that, so I brought out my own secret weapon..the laptop. Now when I do my shopping, it's online...let them that changed the aisles run up and down them hunting out my shopping..mwahahahaha.  Cool smiley

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Display your list prominently as you ask an assistant where each item is now located. If every shopper did that after an "aisle reorganisation" the store managers might take the hint.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Strat wrote:

If I was in training for the 2020 Olympics it would be fair exercise but I'm not.

Morrisons do the same... they are also expanding their product range to try and compete with ASDA..  as the your 2020 olympics... My missus is so slow, that I can whizz around getting items ( from our shopping list ).and have cleared half the shopping list before she has left Aisle number 2 ! ! ..

It`s the only "real" exercise I get.. !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I don't find it a major problem in the smaller stores such as Aldi but in the large supermarket stores it can be a nightmare, in particular if you are in a hurry.

One thing that can be difficult to find is swmbo, I usually take myself off to look at other stuff and join her later nearer the end of the shopping except that despite a shopping list she seems to zid zag all over the place, fortunately I have the car keys so no chance of being left behind.Wink

Community Veteran

My local Aldi went one step further and got rid of an entire isle.

Damn nuisance as it used to be up down up down................ then the checkout.

Now if I do that it's up down up down..................... and now I'm at the wrong end of the shop.

Minivanman
Hero

Is it as bad as that?

Seems to me that at least two thirds if not more stays in the same designated location with just certain areas given over to change for such events as Easter, Halloween, or making room for those plants and pots as spring arrives. Bread is usually at the rear, booze often in the last aisle, and how the heck are they going to restock and replace the freezer section with say spuds or carrots!

From what I've seen most supermarkets both here and abroad seem to follow some sort of cleverly designed subliminal pattern that keeps us all on track. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Minivanman wrote:

Is it as bad as that?

Absolutely. I had the dishonour of having to buy sugar from our local tesco a few weeks back. I went late at night and couldn't find it with the tea / coffee anywhere. I searched and searched...

They'd only moved it to the baking area Roll eyes

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Hero

Seems like a lot of bother for nothing, and presumably they had to swap around those overhead signs as well. Must be a reason I guess. Shocked

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

I hate it too, the local expensiveco has recently had a big switcharound and it's left me annoyed trying to find things quickly, and they do it for a reason, to stop people quickly nipping in, grabbing a few items and leaving in under 5 minutes, it means they have to spend an eternity trying to find one measly item with the managers hoping that when you look around you might spot something you would also want to buy but isn't in your list, but instead it just results in irate customers giving up and going elsewhere...

And there was also the thing with them not stocking washing up sponges, been needing to get some for a few weeks, no sign of the damned things in their store, so I buy a washing up brush/sponge thing that you pour washing up liquid into and it auto-dispenses into the sponge-brush head, next day I went back for something entirely different, the bar stewards had put multipacks of sponges on the flippin' shelf below!!!!!!! Ticked off

I hate tesco, I hope they go out of business soon...

Community Veteran

I shouldn't think Tesco will go out of business any time soon but I agree they should stop randomly changing the location of goods (the overhead signs often don't match any more and by the time they do it's not long before another relocation).  Ours has just, pretty much, swapped the locations of sweet and savoury biscuits - WHY, they're in the same aisle but now they've swapped sides/ends, a while ago they did something similar swapping crisps and other bagged snacks with each other.

Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Minivanman
Hero

I must exist in a different reality then because as said, I find most of the stuff to be in the same place - well more or less anyway. 

As for Tesco's, my biggest beef with them is the way they allow chuggers into the store.Never a big shopper with them but at their place in Carmarthen last week every checkout had a bucket rattling kid collecting for the local sports club. Whatever happened to such things as 'bob-a-job', fetes, and fun runs?

Conscience pricking parasites the lot of 'em Wink   

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

The reason they do it is to stop people like us who go in, go to the one isle or so, then out the shop. They WANT to to spend MORE money, so by moving the stuff about they force you to search and doing so MAY find other things you want.

SHMBO is the opposite of me, drives me crazy they way she WANTS to go up and down EVERY BIOIGY&*&OIUY)&T)(&T isle.
When she was ill a few weeks ago the shopping took me a total of 30 min. 2 shops and just want I wanted. With her it is several hours minimum.
jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman - we used to get these in our Sainsburys, but only during the day - now the only time I see any collectors is around Red Nose Day, and I avoid them anyway. They don't seem to bother those using the self-checkouts, and as I only use these, I don't have to politely say 'sorry - no cash carried' Smiley

John
Community Veteran

w23 wrote:

I shouldn't think Tesco will go out of business any time soon

People said the same about citylink, and they went away... Evil