Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Superfast Broadband - Vote Labour

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Superfast Broadband - Vote Labour

from the manifesto http://www.labour.org.uk/manifesto/broadband-britain
Broadband Britain
Britain must be a world leader in the development of  broadband. We are investing in the most ambitious plan of  any industrialised country to ensure a digital Britain for all, extending access to every home and business. We will reach the long-term vision of  superfast broadband for all through a public-private partnership in three stages: first, giving virtually every household in the country a broadband service of  at least two megabytes per second by 2012; second, making possible superfast broadband for the vast majority of  Britain in partnership with private operators, with Government investing over £1 billion in the next seven years; and lastly reaching the final ten per cent using satellites and mobile broadband.
Now that I can't wait to see - FTTC for most of the country by 2012 (to clarify 2 megabytes per second is 16 megabits per second  Shocked Shocked Roll eyes)
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Superfast Broadband - Vote Labour

*yawn*
ctech500
Grafter

The Tories are promising 100mb if they get
Loombucket
Grafter

100mb?  That's NOTHING!
If my party gets into power (and with Shutter as our chairman I fail to see how we can lose) we're going to introduce TiSP countrywide in time for the 2012 Olympics.
It's true - I can prove it.  Google have already trialled it and we will implement it as soon as the designated carrier medium is cleared of the detritus that accompanies all election campaigns.

http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

(If Google confirms it, it must be true)  Wink
MrC
Grafter

Quote from: Loombucket
If my party gets into power (and with Shutter as our chairman I fail to see how we can lose) we're going to introduce TiSP countrywide in time for the 2012 Olympics.
Better see these folks who've made a start around Bournemouth:- http://www.h2onetworksdarkfibre.com/
Community Veteran

OldJim, I just looked , it says 2 megabits per second, not megabytes!  Wink
"first, giving virtually every household in the country a broadband service of at least two megabits per second by 2012"
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

It didn't  Grin bit of fast footwork there  Roll eyes
This is from the pdf which I saved to my computer
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: Loombucket
100mb?  That's NOTHING!
It's true - I can prove it.  Google have already trialled it and we will implement it as soon as the designated carrier medium is cleared of the detritus that accompanies all election campaigns.

http://www.google.com/tisp/install.html

(If Google confirms it, it must be true)   Wink

Just to confirm what Loombucket has said..... our party will out rubbish any other party that puts in a bid for the fastest broadband..... I feel that I can say this with absolute sincerity of purpose, especially as my background in the Royal Navy , as in Radio  Communications  gives me a lot more credibility than some on this forum..... In fact, My job in the Navy involved one of the very first high speed digital means of communication..... first brought to the public`s attention with the arrest of a murderer whilst he was fleeing britain aboard a merchant ship at sea..... Yes, folks I am talking  MORSE CODE.... it has been proved that Morse code is faster than texting....
http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoID=2025791097
Ooops... sorry,  just had to put a link in here somewhere... to prove my point.....
I am still proficient in Morse Code , sending and receiving, but somewhat slower than the guys in the clip, as I have not used it for a number of years....It`s a bit like riding a bicycle, you never forget how to do it, although you may be somewhat slower than when you had your youth....
So vote for .i.. and have some fun in life  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Key points from the labour manifesto (1997)
Education will be our number one priority, and we will increase the share of national income spent on education as we decrease it on the bills of economic and social failure
There will be no increase in the basic or top rates of income tax
We will provide stable economic growth with low inflation, and promote dynamic and competitive business and industry at home and abroad
We will get 250,000 young unemployed off benefit and into work
We will rebuild the NHS, reducing spending on administration and increasing spending on patient care
We will be tough on crime and tough on the causes of crime, and halve the time it takes persistent juvenile offenders to come to court
We will help build strong families and strong communities, and lay the foundations of a modern welfare state in pensions and community care
We will safeguard our environment, and develop an integrated transport policy to fight congestion and pollution
We will clean up politics, decentralise political power throughout the United Kingdom and put the funding of political parties on a proper and accountable basis
We will give Britain the leadership in Europe which Britain and Europe need

http://www.labour-party.org.uk/manifestos/1997/1997-labour-manifesto.shtml

Shutter, you have my vote
Community Veteran

Gee Whizz..... Thanks..... almost home and dry then !  Cheesy
Community Veteran

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious Sad  Bet Clown Brown won't want to be reminded of that Wink
Loombucket
Grafter

'ere Shutter, if you get to be Prime Minister having won the Election on a C.R.A.P. ticket, can I be Queen?
Community Veteran

Oooh Yes.... what a super idea ! !  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and being ex navy make sure your rivets are watertight  Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
It didn't  Grin bit of fast footwork there  Roll eyes

El Reg picked up on it too! http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/12/labour_manifesto1/
I particularly liked their observation that:
"The Labour party has mounted a strong counterattack against the Tories' determined push to present themselves as the most technologically illiterate of the mainstream UK parties."  Grin