Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super-quick Giant House Spiders

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

A couple of weeks ago, whilst getting ready for bed, I noticed a dark shape by a skirting board.......
As I approached to investigate, the blob transformed into a large spider, that ran under the bed at some speed, the fastest spider I had seen.
Now under the bed are some storage boxes, so I couldn't see the spider.
A liberal squirting of RAID didn't flush it out, so........
We attempted to go to sleep.
Fat chance of that, 5 minutes later we were in a different room, and watched TV for an hour or so.
Venturing back into the bedroom, checking ceiling covings and floor, we saw the spider, a bit worse for wear, so it was collected and disposed of.
Then today, I read this online !!!!!
Millions of super-quick Giant House Spiders on rampage across Britain
http://www.express.co.uk/news/nature/606925/Spiders-Britain-Warning-Giant-House-Spiders-Homes-Garage...
Reminds me of this time last year !!
http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,130054.0.html
We did have a very tenacious spider attached to a car wing mirror for a couple of days, motorway driving at 70mph didn't budge it, and it wasn't really shielded by the wing mirror, on a thread between the wing mirror and car door, drivers side !
Perhaps it liked "Kite Wind Surfing"
I kept the window firmly closed....
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Super-quick Giant House Spiders

It's been written as though it's an unusual thing, it's pretty much a standard thing up here in't north, when the weather cools, they come indoors and start sleeping in my bed, followed by a swift squishing....... Roll eyes
Infinity
Pro

It is unusual, note the Thread Title.....
the fastest spider I had seen, fastest GIANT spider
Spider on STEROIDS
The Usain Bolt of Spiders...

Scariest thing.....
It ran across the large Bedroom carpet, directly towards me, and ran between my legs !!!
And getting ready for bed............. I was.......... NOT clothed
Now there's a scary sight !

Living in the countryside, in Derbyshire, we do of course get our fair share of normal, slow spiders, who tend to sit up high, watching you, and ready to drop down !!

Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
It is unusual, note the Thread Title.....
the fastest spider I had seen, fastest GIANT spider
Spider on STEROIDS
The Usain Bolt of Spiders...

But that's the thing, for the past 30 years I've been alive, it's been a normal thing up here, spiders with a legspan of 3 inches, they run across a floor like they're on a certain white powdery drug, and have a serious deathwish when they run across me like I'm a motorway, perfectly usual here, but then, this is the north, where everything normal and everyday is ignored, then considered unusual by them da'an saaf when it happens to them... Grin
RobPN
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Quote from: twocvbloke
..., it's been a normal thing up here, spiders with a legspan of 3 inches, they run across a floor like they're on a certain white powdery drug, and have a serious deathwish when they run across me like I'm a motorway, perfectly usual here, but then, this is the north, where everything normal and everyday is ignored, then considered unusual by them da'an saaf when it happens to them.

Only 3 inches?  I caught and disposed of one which I'd seen galloping across the lounge floor a couple of times late at night a few weeks ago, which was nearer 4 inches across and fairly tall.
Here's a photo I took through a window (further south than you are  Smiley  ) of a spider perched on the brick wall outside - it's legs easily spanned the brick it was on (bricks are approximately 4 inches wide).
Community Veteran

they are not interested in us.  they are, apparently, looking for nooky.  leave them alone and they will all disappear in a few weeks.  if you must interfere in their lives, get a large jar (big enough to completely encase the spider)  and a piece of card.  put the jar over the spider and slide the card underneath.  take this assemblage outside and gently release the spider.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Urgh.. we've had a fair few lately too.
Just the other nght I saw one racing along the kitchen floor before running straight at me in the living room. I scared it away (not wanting the hassle of catching it lol) and the damn thing came at me again. Then it ran and hid, then it came back at me again. Chased it back into the kitchem only for it to u-turn and come after me again.
By that point I was having none of it. Despite shutters recent assertions that i am a murderer, i slammed a drinking glass over it and relocated it to the school foot path over the road and released it - the same as I do with all the little crettins.
Disgusting things.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Quote from: RobPN
Here's a photo I took through a window (further south than you are  Smiley  ) of a spider perched on the brick wall outside

Looks like a Wolf spider that, not a "common house spider" as quoted in the article... Grin
Careful with that one, their bites can be quite nasty... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: 7up
running straight at me in the living room

Funny you should say that. Only yesterday there I was sat minding my own business watching the telly when something caught my eye on the carpet. Yes it was a large spider hurtling along, making a bee line or maybe a spider line, straight for me. It practically ran right into my hands and was then dropped onto the saxifrage outside.
Quote from: artificer
apparently, looking for nooky

A couple of times I've watched a small (couple of inches) spider stationary a few inches away from my kitchen cupboards on the floor. If it's his "lucky" day a monster one appears from under the cupboards then he makes his move.
St3
All Star

i see those spiders around the house alot, i dont mind them but my wife goes nuts and runs away.. and my jack russell chases them around the floor, there pretty harmless i think and i suppose the will eat the slightly smaller ones
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Infinity
Pro

Spiders as big as RATS invade a Cheshire town leaving residents terrified of the marauding SIX-INCH beasts
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3246167/Spiders-big-RATS-invade-Cheshire-town.html
Community Veteran

Obviously the person who wrote that title has never seen a wild rat, those pictured spiders are about the size of a rat's head... Roll eyes
But then, it is the daily fail...