Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super glue - careful with it.

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Super glue - careful with it.

We've all used it, we've all stuck our fingers with it, we've all felt the pain peeling it off..

Today i had a sterile plaster on my finger - hospital type. It's main fabric is cotton - not that plastic vinyl stuff normal plasters use.

Had to glue something together. Sure enouigh i got some on the plaster. I had no idea what was about to happen..

Turns out that cotton and cyanocrylate don't mix well. The cotton speeds up the reaction of the glue so fast that it heats upp and in rare cases is able to cause ignition. Yes, you got it, i was nearly screaming in agony!

I now have a blister from the burn and my finger still feels like it's burning despite being kept under the cold tap for several minutes.

Thought i'd mention it to save you guys having a similar tale of woe in the future..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
14 REPLIES 14
Strat
Fixes: 514

Re: Super glue - careful with it.

Duly noted.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0.2 (64-bit)

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It's fun stuff when applied to fabrics, not sure why it does so, but boy is it nasty when dropped onto clothes, one of them "Superglue smoke, don't breathe this!" moments... 😲

On a related note, some time before I was born my dad once apparently superglued his mouth shut accidentally, trying to hold the tube of glue while assembling something I guess, got into such a panic apparently that he started writing out his will...... 🤣

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

For me,.... so called "super glue"   is a waste of time.... whatever I have tried to fix using it... has not lasted 24 hours... but using a "normal" .... "proper" glue... seemed to fix things  er..... properly ! ! ...

Always been a bit wary / scared of using superglue when it was the "fad"   .. precisely for the reasons already noted in the OP and subsequent posts. 

All purpose glue....( for paper , cardboard. some wood )     Contact glue for those tricky things that won`t stay in place long enough !  ... and Araldite for the really hard to stick things that need a bit of strength in them..

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I don't find superglue to be that bad of a glue, so long as it's used appropriately (and carefully) it's a good adhesive, for mechanical repairs (I.E. where it needs to experience tension, torsion & twiddling) it can suffer, but for things that just need to stick & stay put, it's handy... Smiley

As for Araldite, I always found that stuff to be too much of a pain to work with, even when made up properly I could never get it to set right, it'd either be too brittle and break, or it's not cure fully and just remained soft & pretty much useless, and of course it had the disadvantage of never properly bonding owing to it's "fix it fast!!!" nature of setting in 5 minutes. Instead I now use that american stuff, JB Weld, takes a few hours to harden, 24 hours to cure, but holy monkey is it tough stuff, it's also a 2-part epoxy, but they strengthen it with extra stuff in it, and claims have been made that it can fix a split engine block and last the life of the engine...

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@7up 

Thanks for that tip.

They should provide that information with the product.

Despite the claims I have found there are items that it fails to glue together 

We are born into history and history is born into us.
idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

Araldite high temperature doesn't like heat! Had a brainwave to try it on the motorbike heat shield that I couldn't get out to do a proper job on it. Thinking it couldn't get that hot. I can tell you exhausts get bl**dy hot. The Araldite just melted. I ended up using this. 3 years on, still stuck together.

Superglue - you really need the 2 part stuff (with activator). Use that and it'll never come apart. The other problem with superglue, it needs to be a very tight tolerance joint to bond. Anything too big and it's a total waste of time, guaranteed to fail. And yes, I've burnt myself a couple of times with superglue. Boy does it hurt!

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

Shouldn't this thread be a 'sticky'?  😏

Warning: the Internet may contain traces of nuts

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Superglue (cyanoacrylate) is very good for putting coral frags in position to grow on in a system 😀

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@Marksfish  Didnt know what coral frags were so had to google it.....so learnt some thing new today.....thanksThumbs_Up

Marksfish
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Sorry, my bad, I should have explained . For those that are interested:

Coral frags are small pieces of live coral (fragments) that are broken off the parent colony. The small pieces are then glued to either small pieces of rock/ frag discs to grow out and swap/ sell on, or are glued to larger pieces of structure in the aquarium to grow as decor.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

@shutter wrote:

For me,.... so called "super glue"   is a waste of time.... whatever I have tried to fix using it... has not lasted 24 hours... but using a "normal" .... "proper" glue... seemed to fix things  er..... properly ! ! ...

Never had much luck with it either - IMHO it does not deserve the 'super' moniker... even the expensive Gorilla and  Loctite etc brands seem no better.

Seems good for gluing skin together ( which IIRC is what it was developed for, to replace stitches to quickly close up wounds in Vietnam war, seems that the moisture makes it set - had a gash in my head superglued together in A&E many years ago and it worked well and far less painful than stitches ). 

7up
Community Veteran

On the contrary, i've found superglue to be very god. It just depends what you're trying to use it on. If you use it appropriately - eg gluing small parts rather than engines or gearboxes - it will work well.

2 part epoxy resin is also pretty good too.

wotsup
Seasoned Champion

This may explain why 'super'glue does not work for most things --- no good on smooth surfaces.

https://www.polymersolutions.com/blog/science-super-glue/

7up
Community Veteran

Like i just said i've never had any problems with it. If you need to stick two smooth surfaces then rough them up with some sandpaper - gives it a key to adhere to.

Knowing how to use it and what it will stick easily to also helps. I rarely have superglue fail on me. Yes it does happen on the rare occassion but not often.