Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super enormous wind turbine announced

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Super enormous wind turbine announced

http://www.vestas.com/en/media/news/news-display.aspx?action=3&NewsID=2624
With reference to Vestas Wind Systems A/S’ company announcement No. 10/2011 of 30 March 2011, Vestas has earlier today at a press conference in London revealed the details of its next generation dedicated offshore turbine. To ensure the lowest possible cost of energy, this new machine, the V164-7.0 MW, boasts an entire 7.0 MW – and a rotor diameter of 164 metres.

and this artists impression
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Re: Super enormous wind turbine announced

Wow thats huge. The normal ones are big enough.
Few years back they were putting up a local windfarm near us. We were driving past and pulled over by the security office. To our surprise the fella was the only one there and offered to drive us right up to them and show us around. We jumped at the chance as you would and minutes later were right next to these things. They are MASSIVE (and I mean these are just normal wind turbines). I stood at the foot of one and felt like an ant in comparison. Until you're right up close to one of these you have no idea of just how big they really are. The blades are big.. the generator housing is literally like a bus and the tower itself.. well when you're stood at the base and you look straight up its actually quite dizzying.
I've got photos of them laying on the ground in pieces.
See next post below OldJims.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

Post them in two lots of three in two separate posts
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

This is one FUBAR'd forum considering PN claim to be providing a good honest service I can't call the forum a lot of good...
Righty, uploading two at a time it's let me do it as long as I left the message text empty (it then complains there's nothing there and returns me to the editor with the pictures attached which is progress).
Descriptions again:
1: The generator unit laying on the ground - It's huge but oddly not as big as you could expect it to be.
2: The end of a single blade (there were 2 more behind it - in a big crate packed like darts). Not the support under it. Stood against it I was tall enough to reach half way up the width of it - almost.
3: Completed turbine shot of one of the neighbour turbines
4: I stood next to this one but had to walk back a lot of paces to squeeze in the entire head of the thing - dizzying
5: One they built earlier. Yes those are the 2 cranes used (one behind other) and before you ask I've no idea how they did it with such short crane arms. It was a sunday so there was no-one around to ask. Second crane looks like it has an extending arm (even so it still doesn't look long enough).
6: Turbine parts waiting to be assembled from a distance.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

@Oldjim, Wow thats huge.  Shocked
Community Veteran

those windmills are spectacular when they disintegrate. bits fly all over the place. Smiley
edit: typo
Community Veteran

A bit like this one by the same company

-o&feature=player_embedded
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Wow.  Shocked
Community Veteran

An interesting article.
wind farms
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

.......and basically coming to the same conclusion.  Wind turbines are not the answer to our energy problems.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

This country is better off with wave power, or solar power or methane power from sewage farms, or river power.  Wind power is a joke
Community Veteran

Or nuclear power which is,IMO, the best solution of all.

....coat
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

Nop methane power from sewage farms is the best solution of all.
Community Veteran

Not really. 
Combusting substantial amounts of methane generates similar levels of carbon dioxide per watt generated as combusting coal or oil, which we're obviously trying to avoid because of alleged "climate change".
Also, the most popular way of generating methane commercially, (excluding raw extraction, and the approximate 16% of all worldwide emissions of methane being from "cattle belching") is via anaerobic fermentation of biowaste.  To generate enough methane gas to generate electricity, and to replace the UK natural gas requirements would require processing plants covering an area approximately the size of Oxfordshire.  I certainly wouldn't like to live next door to that.
Then we're left with the extraction of methane, which of course means we're back to extracting a fossil fuel.
B.