cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Super Tuesday.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Super Tuesday.

Mitt Romney looks to be the favourite as the Republican candidate for the US Presidential race.
But hold on a minute, this is the Guy that was beaten by Joe Biden in the last Bid as the Republican Candidate.
Wasn’t Joe Biden in turn beaten by George Bush in the previous Republican Bid.
Is it my imagination or are the Republicans developing a track record of picking losers.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Super Tuesday.

Joe Biden is a Democrat and currently Vice President of the US.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@artmo, well spotted meant John McCain , did a copy/paste without reading what I'd written Embarrassed Embarrassed
Community Veteran

@ journeys, no problem.
I don't think the Republicans will be happy with the present state of play as a clear front runner should have been found by now.
Romney was a successful State Governor and an experienced businessman but this hasn't given him a clear lead.
He has two main issues.  He is a known flip flopper telling different groups different things in order to win them over.  Secondly, there is deep mistrust of him because he is a Mormon. The southern States in particular are very concerned by this. He refuses to discuss his belief when asked questions.
If he eventually gets the nomination he could divide the Republican vote and this would play into the hands of Obama.
It will be interesting to see what happens in Florida in August.
randpwar
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Secondly, there is deep mistrust of him because he is a Mormon. The southern States in particular are very concerned by this.

From my experience of the Southern States, not great I readily admit but I reckon enough to get a firm impression, people from there have a mistrust and are concerned about almost anyone that isn’t  Wink……not saying without good reason concerning Romney though. Newt sounds like a ‘right one’ also. I know you take a keen interest in US politics artmo, how do you see it going? 
Community Veteran

I think it's easy to say the nominee has to be Romney or Santorum.  Both have their weaknesses.  If the Republican Party were brave they'd go with Santorum but I think Romney will get the vote.  As I said earlier this could inflict damage on the party and open the door to an Obama re-election.
Community Veteran

My Republican friends are worried at the moment as there is no front runner. My Democrat friends are naturally rubbing their hands in glee.  I heard it said that Romney was expecting to be in the fast lane by now but still had Santorum in his rear view mirror Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Like artmo's comment that  'He is a known flip flopper telling different groups different things in order to win them over.'
Reminds me of a past PM who was in office a long time by telling people what they wanted to hear.
You cannot argue with someone who agrees with what you say.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Reminds of the current ones(s).

Community Veteran

Two more States for Santorum, Mississippi and Alabama.  It possibly ends the chances of Gingrich and he is expected to pull out.  This will help Santorum who should get the conservative vote thus harming Romney.
Community Veteran

Well, a decision just announced.  Santorum has just suspended his campaign.  It looks almost certain that Romney will get the Republican nomination in Tampa in August.
Coincidently Obama is about to speak in Tampa this afternoon where he will be addressing the Buffett Rule.
Santorum's decision will certainly help Obama.
Community Veteran

Santorum is playing a shrewd game here.  He has built up a good reputation during his campaign and has become nationally known.  He is now well placed to go for the nomination again in 2016.