cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunday

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sunday

Today is Sunday.... traditionally, a day of rest..... and one for going to church and doing religious stuff
When I was a choir boy.....  ( over half a century ago ).... Sunday was special inasmuch as it meant I HAD to go to church two or three times in the day, due to the services that were held....
When Sunday Trading laws were changed to allow shops to open and trade on Sunday`s, there was a big "hoo hah"... about it  from the religiously minded do-gooders, but it was, and is, popular with the general public, and is, as much as a "shopping day"...also a "social occasion", where people meet in the shopping malls and have coffee and chat in a busy but relaxed atmosphere, akin to continental villages/towns/cities.
It seems that the present "restrictions" are to be removed, making it a "normal day" for trading purposes,... and once again.. I hear people interviewed on tv.... saying it is another "moral decline", and we should keep Sunday special...
they want it to be "their" kind of special... but how about you?.....
isn`t Sunday "special" to YOU, because, you can do what YOU want to do, and not what "old fashioned" ideas and conventions demanded.
47 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Sunday

Full opening hours on a sunday? Sounds good to me, not everyone wastes their sundays in a draughty old building with some old fart waffling to them about stories written by the sort loons centuries ago who would have seen striking a match as witchcraft... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Must admit I find sunday trading restrictions are a menace. You can go park your car, pay for the parking, even find an attendant in many places yet go into the local shop, buy a few bits and bobs at 7pm? Absolutely not.
I do agree that Sunday should still be a special day.. and a day when we can chill for a bit but I also think that trading laws need to be relaxed.
Don't get me wrong I'm not saying we should do away with Sunday.. we all need some peace / chill time but there must be a better way of handling it that works for all.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

It will only make a difference to the big stores. All small shops can open all day now but any one over 3000 sq.ft is restricted to 6 hours trading. Relaxing the rules will allow the big supermarkets to open all day.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

personally I would prefer it if they had said on a Saturday it was half day opening and on a sunday zero opening, there is no excuse (with 24 hour shopping in supermarkets) for needing to go to a shop on a sunday it should be a day of rest where you spend time with your family and friends, I haven't been to church except for special occasions out of choice ever (weddings funerals remembrance), however I have always treasured the ability to have one day a week where I got time off to do other things (thinking back to when I worked) now I like that places are closed and people have an enforced bit of down time, something that has been slowly eroded under the guise of multiculturalism and latterly under the guise of economic growth, without the required time off people will become gradually less productive something that can be clearly seen in the output statisitcs, where other nations have retained their day(s) of rest and have generally higher output levels than we do
the so called clever people never seem to get that flogging a dying horse just makes it die faster giving some rest makes it go faster !
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
It will only make a difference to the big stores. All small shops can open all day now but any one over 3000 sq.ft is restricted to 6 hours trading. Relaxing the rules will allow the big supermarkets to open all day.

That is a fair point and despite not liking big business for once i find myself supporting them  Crazy
The problem is that the smaller shops don't tend to be open long on sundays anyway.. or stock much that is useful.
As much as i dislike big business, i have to admit supermarkets these days are incredibly handy when you're really stuck for something. Not that i like going.. but at least the missus can go and get me my things  Grin
Fixes: 47

I had a parcel from Amazon delivered this morning albeit partially address to someone in the next road (I took it round).
The growth in online shopping and delivery is definitely a driving force in making Sunday just another week day.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: nanotm
personally I would prefer it if they had said on a Saturday it was half day opening and on a sunday zero opening, there is no excuse (with 24 hour shopping in supermarkets) for needing to go to a shop on a sunday it should be a day of rest where you spend time with your family and friends, I haven't been to church except for special occasions out of choice ever (weddings funerals remembrance), however I have always treasured the ability to have one day a week where I got time off to do other things (thinking back to when I worked) now I like that places are closed and people have an enforced bit of down time, something that has been slowly eroded under the guise of multiculturalism and latterly under the guise of economic growth, without the required time off people will become gradually less productive something that can be clearly seen in the output statisitcs, where other nations have retained their day(s) of rest and have generally higher output levels than we do

My point is..... that  even if there were 24/7 shopping  and all other entertainment places were also open 24/7..... if YOU want a day of rest and spend time with your family,.... YOU can... nobody is forcing you to go shopping.. ( except maybe the wife and kids ) !!!  Cheesy Cheesy 
.. however, what you are describing is,    that you,      and everyone else should have " enforced bit of down time"... and by that it would be BY LAW...

Harking back to the bible punchers of the old west.  Huh
  it you "treasure" the one day, then ok, fine... but others also "treasure" the fact that they can go to the shopping mall, on Sunday, and meet friends, and have a social aspect of their lives, away from the home environment, where they may be feeling imprisoned by the family comitments on a day to day basis, and Sunday is the "day of rest" by going to the shopping mall........
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quote from: nanotm
personally I would prefer it if they had said on a Saturday it was half day opening and on a sunday zero opening, there is no excuse (with 24 hour shopping in supermarkets) for needing to go to a shop on a sunday it should be a day of rest where you spend time with your family and friends

I can see it now, it's a summer afternoon on a sunday, some friends come around, and the person says to them, "let's make it a bit of a party, I'll go get the beers in from the shop, oh, yeah, I can't because the bible bashers demanded we are banned from buying things on a sunday, so, this day of spending time with my friends is completely ruined so it will be a disappointing and upsetting day because religion interfered in peoples lives where they had no right to do so"...
Doesn't really work in a 21st century world where life is 24/7, can't be pandering to the few who don't like what the masses are doing, needs of the many after all, needs of the many... Cool
Community Veteran

As a young lad I hated Sundays, not just the shops being shut but just about everything else being shut as well, what a boring day.
However I have to admit that whilst I see no logic to any religion I am glad that I live in a country that developed along religious lines compared to countries where communism ruled the roost.
In the past it may well have been a good idea to have trading restrictions on a Sunday but with so many people currently unemployed there should be no shortage of staff available to work on a Sunday, thousands of people have had no choice other than to work on a Sunday such as hospital staff, the Police etc so I see no case for shops to be restricted on a Sunday. There are a number of silly laws which list a number of good that cannot be sold on a sunday and that law needs to be scrapped.
Community Veteran

In general retailers won't take any more money. If one of them opens others will have to in order that they don't lose trade to competitors. Spending just gets spread over 7 days instead of 6.
Community Veteran

@artmo,
Not sure about that, the more time people are exposed to various items the more likely they will buy them irrespective of if they need them or even afford them.
For some people shopping is an addiction similar to gambling, drinking, etc the more they have access to it the more use they make of it, how much they end up in debt or how they will pay it back does not cross their mind.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

sunday trading laws are down to religion trying to impose a way of life.
for me, religion has no place in politics, law making or state education.
keep religion for in the home.
religion should NOT be imposing their opinions on the populous.
religion really is the root of all evil, and i include your CofE/CofS sunday church go-ers in that.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
As a young lad I hated Sundays, not just the shops being shut but just about everything else being shut as well, what a boring day.

+1
I hated sundays too. Even worse when you're an only child, a parent that doesn't want to do anything with you other than their stupid time wasting hobby or throw a sick day to get out of anything. Life was incredibly bad and sundays just made it worse. That and we lived in the middle of nowhere too so my parent really had me as isolated as possible. It was horrible.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

They should sell off the big draughty buildings and run e-chuches over the Internet. People with sufficient church points would then be allowed in a Sunday supermarket.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.