cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunday Parking

Highlighted
Fixes: 394

Re: Sunday Parking

In Herne Bay there is a car park opposite Morrison's that is a pay and display but street parking around the car park and outside Morrison's is free albeit limited to 2 hours (no return for 2 hours).
If the street parking is full I normally drive round the block once or twice and, by then, there's usually an empty space.
What can be annoying is when I take my mother, for who I have Blue Badge, I frequently find that the two disabled bays directly outside the shop are taken by taxis queueing up to get into their rank. Thankfully a polite reminder does tend to get them to move.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: Strat
Some shop car parks in Sheffield centre have a time limit on them and an enforcement patrol.

The Sainsbury car parks I know have a limit on the length of parking and they employ a mobile company to enforce the limit.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Seems to vary from Sainsbury to Sainsbury. My local in Apsley near Hemel Hempstead doesn't charge, another we use fairly regularly in Huntingdon does...and heavily, but its also the nearest car park to a pedestrian shopping centre, so its not just Sainsbury customers who use it.
Sometimes in these situations Sainsbury will credit their own customers with the parking fee. Not sure is Huntingdon does as we always use a (free) disabled space.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Free Sunday parking ended here a few years ago. Shops used to be busy on Sundays but it's no surprise that they're not now.
One thing many don't realise about towns with meter parking is that a large percentage of parking spaces are lost just because of this.
Yellow lines are often placed not because it's dangerous to park but because it's not financially viable to put a meter there.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

I Wonder  where the most expensive place is to park in the UK ?
I Guess airport car parking charges are high on the List, perhaps others can provide examples ?
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Google is your friend....
"Most expensive car parking in uk"  brought up this result...
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1025149/The-countrys-expensive-car-park-costs-43-20-hour-sta...
Highlighted
Community Veteran

That refers to an NCP in Bloomsbury being the most expensive per hour (£8) for short stays, not sure which one they mean though.
I used to use the Bloomsbury Square one regularly (the deep underground spiral one) and it was good and convenient for business in the area, but haven't been there very recently.
Online data suggests that it's £4 per hour at present which isn't bad for Central London and only £7.50 for an evening (6pm to 6am).
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Quote from: billnotben
Yellow lines are often placed not because it's dangerous to park but because it's not financially viable to put a meter there.

Thats a common view but have you actually wondered what would happen should an ambulance or fire engine need to get along these roads?
It's very easy to assume it's to inconvenience the motorist but yellow lines serve other purposes you've never thought of. Don't forget we're in a health and safety age now where these vehicles must be guaranteed a clear route through - not like the old days where you could park and block anyone you wanted with the "I'm alright so stuff you" attitude.
This is a common misconception in roads that end with the word 'close' where there may be a T shape at the bottom. Most folk assume it's parking and are surprised that yellow lines exist there. It's actually so that larger vehicles like fire engines can turn around without being forced to slowly reverse along the road wasting their life saving time. Not all of these roads have them at the bottom, only the smaller ones.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Fixes: 416

When the Hallamshire Hospital in Sheffield was built it had a small free car park in front which accommodated a few cars daily.
Car usage rapidly increased so it was expanded into a multi level park...still free.
Some time after charges were introduced citing people parking there and walking into town centre on shopping trips.
Now it's considered by many as a good source of revenue for the hospital as on street parking in the area is a nightmare with 5 hospitals and a university in the immediate vicinity.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0.1 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Hospitals are amongst the dearest parking charges around.  I have a meeting at one hospital this afternoon where they charge £1 for 2 hours but another nearby one charges £4.20 per hour. Luckily I get my charges refunded.
Highlighted

When my wife was seriously ill in the Hallamshire daily parking was quite a drain on my resources.
On the day that she passed away I heard from another patient that I could have got a pass to use the car park for free under the special circumstances.
You don't consider costs in such a situation but it would have been nice if a staff member had mentioned it.

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Absolutely, when my wife had her first stroke and not thought to be able to survive it (she did) I also racked up enormous charges for parking, to be told afterwards like Strat that I could have had a pass.
Its a bit churlish to think staff deliberately don't mention it until its too late.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Highlighted
Community Veteran

There are lots of things like that that don't get mentioned.  Cry
I have a rare medical condition that requires lifelong treatment and very regular medication (several times a day).
For many years I paid prescription fees until I happened to find out that I was entitled to free prescriptions as my condition was one of a number specifically recognised as justifying them.
I did NOT find out from anyone in the medical profession, though I did make sure that I told them all (up to consultant level) quite firmly once I knew.  Angry
Highlighted
Community Veteran

Yeah hospital car parks are a menace. When I was in hospital my partner waited until after mid-day to come and see me as outside the hospital was 4 hour limited waiting which started at 8am and finished at 4pm. Obviously if you park at midday, then by the time your 4 hours are up the restriction is too. On the day of discharge though she had to pay as she needed to wheel me to the car. It's disgraceful though how the hospital makes money out of peoples misfortune and in my case they were directly responsible for mine!
I got so fed up with the numerous scans and outpatient appointments at the other hospital I had to attend that I didn't bother paying for parking in their car park. I turned to one of my many free parking skills instead. Needless to say the rotten swines are now installing barriers to ensure they get every last penny Angry
Motorist milking must stop!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted

Not going to happen, we are easy targets.