cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunday Parking

Fixes: 47

Sunday Parking

I notice that Leeds is to introduce charges for evening and Sunday parking http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leeds-22969123
It got me wondering if they are going to extend parking enforcement patrols to cover these periods or are the patrols already in place.
If it's extra duties for the patrols would the cost outweigh the revenue raised considering it's supposed to be designed to help fill a shortfall in funds.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
33 REPLIES
shalom2010
Grafter

Re: Sunday Parking

Maybe the CCTV will cover the 'illegal' parking. I really think it's a dreadful way of making money. Not only putting people off going to the shops but again attacking the motorist. If the council
need the money, they should increase the council tax for everyone.
From the article it looks like star gazers will be happy with the lights going out every night, wish that would happen here, I really enjoy night time photography!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Strat
It got me wondering if they are going to extend parking enforcement patrols to cover these periods or are the patrols already in place.

Most councils operate a reduced enforcement service on Sundays so I suspect they will increase their staffing or change the patrol pattern. It depends on how their rotas have been planned out and how easy it would be to change it all etc.
Quote from: Strat
If it's extra duties for the patrols would the cost outweigh the revenue raised considering it's supposed to be designed to help fill a shortfall in funds.

It will pay for itself easily. A CEO only needs to issue one ticket (paid at full cost or two at the discount) to earn their wage for that day. Anything more than that and the local and county councils get the money. If you consider the number of people who will get caught out by this change that will be a lot of income for the councils. Local councils take the money for PCNs issued in their car parks and county councils get the PCN money for the public highway PCNs.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

I know York (used to?) charge for bike parking in their car parks, now when you put your ticket in your car no one can remove it, but there is nowhere to attach it on a bike that can't be removed. How they can prove that a biker hasn't bought a ticket, and had it stolen is beyond me, I just refuse to use pay car parks.
I also know that in Sweden several places used to charge for parking overnight & 7 days a week. CCTV was used to patrol it (20+ years ago)
shalom2010
Grafter

I'm the same as you Hairy Biker. I very rarely use car parks, I'd rather have a half mile walk than pay in a car park!
There is one exception I must admit. I have parked at the expensive car park at Lulworth Cove Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
I know York (used to?) charge for bike parking in their car parks, now when you put your ticket in your car no one can remove it, but there is nowhere to attach it on a bike that can't be removed. How they can prove that a biker hasn't bought a ticket, and had it stolen is beyond me

Put it inside the tax disc holder. Many councils will use registration numbers on their machines / tickets so if you have a ticket nicked they can download the details and check for your digits to see if you purchased one if you appeal the PCN. I think you can also get lockable ticket holders too for motorbikes - I seem to recall seeing one once somewhere but no idea where you get them from.
Community Veteran

These days (in York) you can pay by mobile phone so no ticket is needed! Parking attendants will have your reg on their tablets.
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

All parking is free in my council area on Sundays.  Also on Saturdays about a third of the car parks are free to encourage shoppers into the High Streets.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

In our village the parish council has resisted all parking charges or meters. All parking is free. As a result the shops are regularly full of shoppers.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Quote from: NedLudd
These days (in York) you can pay by mobile phone so no ticket is needed! Parking attendants will have your reg on their tablets.

Trouble there is that it doesn't always work like that - I know one council that operates a ringo system and their handhelds are NOT connected to the council servers as they have no mobile connection.
Fixes: 124

I seem to remember when I lived in London parking in the Woolwich car parks was free on Saturdays.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Edinburgh has had phone parking for a while, however they do offer FREE bike parking. As to putting it in the tax disk, what if you don't remove it then you get done for not having a tax disk displayed - catch 22. Also my tax disk holder is a screw job, so not easy to remove the cover.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As you can imagine a holiday area like Scarborough has always relied on car parking charges for council funds seven days a week and all year round. And the fines are just more revenue. The minimum charge is  two pounds and up to six pounds for the day..  Lips are sealed
Imagine my surprise when I went to mid Wales on holiday. It was like going back thirty years. Lampeter free or 40p for two hours - pds1.20 for the day. Crazy
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

There are always places to park that you don't have to pay the exrordinate charges some of these councils charge. I would rather walk a good distance than pay £1 to park for an hour or so. In Scarborough & Darlington (for instance) I usually park in the Sainsburys (or other supermarket carpark) and walk into the town (2 hours free) 5 min walk.
Fixes: 47

Some shop car parks in Sheffield centre have a time limit on them and an enforcement patrol.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation