cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunday Lunch

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Sunday Lunch

The "traditional" Sunday Lunch, is a roast meat, roast potatoes and two (or more) and for the past 4 or 5 years, we have been going to our local pub, or a garden centre, for it...

Only the two of us, so it was becoming a BIG effort for the missus to produce such a feast... going to a pub or garden centre... all the cooking is done... all the washing up is done, and the food is pretty good too...

However.. we  have recently, changed our traditional food for something a little different.

Last week we found a nice little restaurant in a garden centre, that does a nice line in   "Fish FInger Sandwiches"... so that`s for me this week.... missus is having a chicken korma panini

What will you be having  ? ? ? ?

12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Sunday Lunch

shutter wrote:
What will you be having  ? ? ? ?

Having looked in the freezer, it's a toss up between chicken wings or pepperoni pizza, but only after 8 or so hours of sleep cos I'm off to bed now... Grin

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

What will we be having for lunch this Sunday ?........... Nothing....Other than cups of tea and a Apple.

We had a couple of friends around last night and swmbo made a 3 course meal add to that the drink ++ and cheese and biscuits we simply could not face eating anything today.

We also realised how daft it was to make a meal at home when it's much easier to to go out as mentioned by shutter, no washing up or hassle in preparing food, only reason we did it was in return for them having us around for a meal but the lesson is learned.....never again.

Local pub does a excellent carvery £5.99 and you can return for extra veg at no additional cost, no way could you make that at home for the same money.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Just finished off two mini pork pies followed by apple pie and ice cream. Smiley

PS. Would have had another two but the grandchildren scoffed them first!

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Agree you cant beat a sunday Pub lunch Thumbs Up

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Minivanman
Hero

Nice enough I guess but we find those 'Sunday Lunch' meals are far too large and the beer far to pricey.... and don't get me started on the cost of pub wines Crazy2

Used to hate Sunday lunches/dinner as a kid. Mum would always cook breast of lamb as it was so cheap (3/6d) and I'd just push it around the plate before leaving it. Too much like hard work trying to coax out those little bits of meat - and I hated the fatty bits!  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Today I had faggots, peas, and boiled potatoes.

With a bit of crispy hot garlic bread.

randpwar
Grafter

We have a roast with veg, chicken today, but we don't normally sit down until the evening, maybe 7ish. Our 17 year old son is working as a kayak coach at a local boat centre until 6 so it should fit in nicely 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We actually go for the carvery... in both places.. usually there is a choice of 3 meats (turkey, beef & pork)   can have one of each or just choose one, whatever, you get plenty... If we go to the pub... my missus has a Bitter Lemon, with Ice, and I have a half pint of tap water with ice.... ( not too expensive, you see ! ! ).. at the garden centre(s) we usually find that half a bottle of Fentiman`s Ginger beer, is just enough to wash down..... So, again,  not expensive on the drinks side.

The advantage of carvery is that you get your food ( almost ) instantly ( depending on how big the queue is, and we go early to avoid ! !)...

as opposed to "odering off the wall menu".. where you are forced to wait at least 30 mins ( sometimes longer when the pub is busy)... and therefore they expect you to buy their expensive booze to while away the waiting time...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I need three meals a day for my diabetes, we have a Tesco's roast chicken meal for two but have just decided to have that tomorrow and have a salad for tea as we have the ingredients in the fridge. I had chicken soup for lunch because it was nearly out of date!

We are foodies on the quiet and our favourite meal out is at a local Michalin Starred restaurant http://www.lanterna-ristorante.co.uk/menu.html but we know Gerogio and his wife because their son goes to the same school as our grandkids

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Fixes: 123

Long gone are the days we have a Sunday roast. We do still sometimes have a roast on a Sunday but we tend to just have what ever we fancy with frequently having a full roast midweek.

Love a Toby carvery but haven't tried any of the other local pubs even though we have a pub just two doors away. Lived here 6 years and still never been in thereCheesy

As we don't drink then a meal should be relatively cheapCool

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

All these pub & carvery-goers, such extravagance!! I only go to the local one about once or twice a year, couldn't afford to go every week or two, no matter how convenient... Grin

Last time I cooked a lump of cowmeat (last year, couple days after christmas day), I did it low & slow, turned out amazing, a lot left over too (considering it was post-christmas with lots of other leftovers that had to be eaten first!!) so froze it and later made a pulled beef type thing with it with mashed potato, was just delicious the second time round as the first... Cool

Community Veteran

Cauliflower cheese with fresh fruit salad for desert. Sunday is vegetarian day for us.

Never gone in for Sunday Lunches, supper was smoked salmon on rye.