Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suncream, cold remedies and gluten-free food

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Suncream, cold remedies and gluten-free food

Have to say, I was totally gobsmacked to learn such things were available on the NHS  in England, along with such things as omega 3 and fish oils, travel vaccines and blimey, a saving of £400m? - that's must be enough to build four hospitals. I have a daughter who is gluten intolerant and y'know what, she just buys the gluten free bread instead of the normal stuff. 

Preventative medicine is one thing but this is crazy. No wonder the NHS is going down the bed pan.

More here

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Suncream, cold remedies and gluten-free food

I learned I was Lactose intolerant last year and asked my doc if there was something available via prescription for such an ailment, as the cost of lactose-free products is extortionate, sadly there isn't, so lactose-intolerant people must continue to suffer (either the extortion or the expulsions), but with my tenacity, I found some Lactase enzyme liquid online from company called Biocare, and per pint, it works out to be a craptonne cheaper than the off-the-shelf lactose-free produce, I only use it for milk, but could also be put into yoghurt I'm sure... Smiley

http://www.superfooduk.com/biocare-lactase-enzyme-15ml-5071-p.asp

Other sites and Lactase enzyme products are available, cos not sponsored to promote that stuff, I'm just a happy buyer with a happy digestive tract... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Sorry to hear than, but are such products really "extortionate"?

Because  we have a breadmaker and it's easy, Mrs Minivanman often makes gluten free bread for our daughter at very little if any extra cost. With regards to lactose free products Asda seems to have a fair range at a fair price added to which, some people buy goat and coconut milks for example as a sort of lifestyle choice?

Maybe I'm just lucky in that no foods as far as I know (other than and over enthusiastic vindaloo) ever give me the wobbles!    

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Minivanman wrote:

Sorry to hear than, but are such products really "extortionate"?

Yes, they are, take "LactoFree" milk for example, 1 Litre of the stuff (just short of 2 Pints by 136ml) from my local expensiveco store, £1.35, regular 2 Pint (1.136L) milk, 75p, 60 pence more for something that has had lactose removed...

Now, the BioCare enzyme I have, £11.83 (that site above applies a discount reducing the price), makes up to 78 Pints of lactose-free milk, that's 15p more per pint, so a 2pt bottle of milk would cost only 30p more, not 60, considering that a manufacturer of lactose-free milk could cut that cost down to 2p per pint, then there's no excuse to charge 60p more, other than because it's a captive audience and they can charge what they like, aka, extortion... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

I see what you mean. Sad

Community Veteran

I wonder if the Establishment has looked at the financial impact of not issuing a prescription for something which is cheaper if purchased "off-prescription"?   All that prescription tax (£8.60 in April) not paid on things like paracetamol.  I know most of the daytime correspondents on here are of a golden age and don't pay such taxes, but those of working age sometimes insist on a prescription when they don't need to. 

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

I've seen people in our local Chemist taken aside and had a cheap, off the shelf alternative pointed out to them having handed their prescription in.

Are Chemists not supposed to do this?

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Fixes: 104

I'll miss getting my suncream on the NHS Sad
Will Moderate For Thanks
Minivanman
Hero

@Strat

"Are Chemists not supposed to do this?"

Well you could say why not. They are a business after all plus, they would saving both the NHS and the customer money. I was checking out a product earlier as it so happens and it cost the same to buy direct as the cost of a prescription - although here in Wales those are still free. When we did pay for them our chemist would often offer us a generic product cheaper.

Not the same I know but the biggest scam it seems to me is the amount vets charge for medication.  

Community Veteran

In the past, my doctor has said that all he needed to prescribe was off-the-shelf meds, and that it would be cheaper just to use those instead, so, it's not just chemists, honest doctors do it too... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

Good to hear, but in their interest also?

Too many of those Pharmaceutical Companies are ready with excuses and ready with price hikes when it comes to ripping of the NHS. Bunch of pee taking bandits some of 'em.

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

People who get free prescriptions sometimes demand everything on prescription.  If you have to pay the prescription charge, it's often cheaper to get something that isn't a POM (prescription only medication) without a prescription.

Last time I bought supermarket paracetamol it cost 16p for 16 tablets.  If I'd wanted a pretty box I could have paid several pounds.  Interestingly when a medication becomes available without prescription the price often magically drops to just below the prescription charge.