Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sunburn

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Sunburn

@wotsup wrote:

We have a Weber and I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't make the grill out of stainless steel,  they go rusty in no time and food sticks to them - I have looked for SS ones but no joy so far.

Mine's not gone rusty, has dulled from the original shine, but no rust, and as for food sticking, that's more down to technique as when food is sticking, it means it's not quite ready for flipping as it's developing a nice char, which once it has, it'll release and be free to flip, also oiling some foods can help too, but overall it's not been much of an issue for me... Smiley

Would love to have a cast iron grill on my Weber though, but it's just a lowly "Compact 47" rather than one of the bigger proper kettle grills...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

No rust on the ones we have got.......

Yes we have several...........

Being a cheapskate I buy them from the Pound shop.....

Use them then chuck them away......

No Cleaning, no mess, no storage problems.......and........certainly no one saying we will come around to your house for a barbie.

:wink:

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

and........certainly no one saying we will come around to your house for a barbie.

I've a better solution for that; just be an introverted autistic* hermit and have no real-life friends, that way I can cook for one without people bothering me for some free food... :grin:

But that said, when I cook on my barbecue, it's proper barbecuing, not the burning of sausages and singeing of chicken drumsticks that are pink in the middle that cause the rocketplops the next day, most of what I've cooked has been done indirect, with the charcoal over one side of the barbecue and the food on the other, basically treating it like an oven that adds a smokey charcoaly flavour, because that's a good flavour... :cool:

And, to prevent sunburn, I have everything set up in a shady hollow I've made for myself in the garden, so no need to worry about that... :grin:

(*and no, that's not an insult to anyone, I am actually autistic, found that out last september!!)

ffox
Pro

@wotsup wrote:

We have a Weber and I cannot for the life of me understand why they don't make the grill out of stainless steel,  they go rusty in no time and food sticks to them - I have looked for SS ones but no joy so far.

If you don't over-clean the grill it doesn't rust.  We treat ours like a seasoned frying pan - wipe the surplus fat and dirt off and leave it. (I use a bit of 2x1 to remove any stuck-on lumps.)   No worry about germs, the heat while the next barbecue is getting going will sterilise it.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Quite right of course, and nothing wrong with a bit of rust and muck.

None of them are really made to last anyway except maybe those mega £1000 stainless steel jobs, and who'd be bonkers enough to buy one of those?

Oh hang on, I know who. :smiley:

Community Veteran

Quite likely owns the company ?

Community Veteran

Before I cook on mine, as it's usually set up for indirect cooking, I roast one side of the grill over the coals (thus burning off any leftovers from the last cook), scrub it with my wire brush, spin the grill round, repeat on the other side, and once it's all nice and clean I put the lid on to heat everything up to sterilise it all, and finally it's time to cook... Smiley

May sound like a PITA to some, but it's not really, it's just proper barbecue etiquette... :grin:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@gleneagles wrote:

Blimey, I thought he was back already ... until I read your username.  :wink:

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:

...  except maybe those mega £1000 stainless steel jobs, and who'd be bonkers enough to buy one of those?

Oh hang on, I know who. :smiley:

He probably has several, one for each of his lawns.  :cheesy:

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

:2funny:

Community Veteran

Now now children, if you haven't got anything to say or do, don't bother!! :knuppel2:

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@gleneagles wrote:

I was just about to ask if you know anyone famous and have a Learjet... then i noticed who actually posted that lol.

On another note guys, what did the old timers here (60+ years) do when young regarding the sun in summer? - Did sun lotion exist back then?

Only reason I ask is that over the years there has been lots of publicity about using it and yet more and more cases of skin cancer are being detected. Oddly i knew an Ozzie guys moons ago who said he'd never used it his entire life..

So those here who are 60+ years, whats your opinion on it?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
TTman
Seasoned Pro

@7up  No never used it..When I was younger can remember some putting on olive oil to get a better tan!:smiley:

Highlighted
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@7up 

Same here and good point. :thumbsup:

Never used it and never have, so what is it with using sun cream or whatever in a temperate zone.

I can understand why in places like Australia as reports of skin cancer numbers and it's impact on the majority non indigenous population is evidence enough, but here in the UK, really? Just seems odd that on one hand we are advised to take vitamin D supplements, yet on the other we need to protect ourselves against to much sun.

Market manipulation at work methinks... or maybe not and it's all down to global warming. 

Community Veteran

The wife uses it a lot but me I never bother and so far have had no problems as far as I know.

It might depend on your skin type ? The lighter the greater risk but that's just an assumption on my part and could be inaccurate.

Perhaps the increasing number of cases is down to more accurate diagnosis ?