cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sun Roof

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sun Roof

Bit worried the other day when the sun roof on my car failed to close, fortunately it's possible to close it manually but do all cars with electric sun roofs that slide back have this facility.
I often wondered what would happen if a window failed to close on your car, not a big problem if has a handle but few have such things these days.
19 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Sun Roof

Personally, I think a "sun roof" is the daftest thing they put in cars..... let`s face it,... when you are driving along on a sunny day,... do you really want the sun beating down on your head.? ? ?  and what about when you get stuck in a traffic hold up for hours on end... and the sun is beating down...?  not nice... of course, they do sometimes leak, and who needs a hole in the roof letting rainwater drip all down your face or neck, as you are driving along... the idea of being in a car, is to keep dry...
Nah... sun roof ... not a good accessory... just a "trendy gimmick"...
If you want to drive with an open top... get a proper "convertible"... ( or a very brave girlfriend ! ! )...  Shocked
PowerLee
Rising Star

The only cars I seem to see with electric window failures these day's are VW / Audi car's, its such a problem that main dealers even sell repair kits  Grin

sjptd
Grafter

The only cars I seem to see with electric window failures these day's are VW / Audi car's,
You can add Skoda to that (but of course just another part of VW).
Fixes: 122

I've often wondered what would happen if the electric windows got stuck in the down position. I have RAC membership but would they be able to get the window raised till it can be looked at properly?

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: gleneagles
Bit worried the other day when the sun roof on my car failed to close, fortunately it's possible to close it manually but do all cars with electric sun roofs that slide back have this facility.

I always wondered what that removable plastic panel up there was for - now I know! The motor has a slot in it and it never occurred to me that the removable panel might be for emergency sun roof closing..  Roll eyes
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

With the 2CV, 2 clips and fold the roof back, instant sunroof, undo a couple of pop-studs and roll the roof all the way back, convertible, take off the roof entirely, slide off the bootlid & remove the back seats, it's a pickup... Grin
Can't do that with modern cars... Cool
Fixes: 47

I passed 3 or 4 convertibles today and thought 'do convertibles have extra/different security features to other cars'.
I mean you don't have to break in for a start.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

I'd guess they'd have immobilisers to stop them being driven, and alarms to annoy everyone when a bird flaps it's wings 47 metres away and set it off, so, I think they're covered, but as for the contents, well, it's at their own risk really, leave things on show and oiks will 'alf inch them in no time... Grin
Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Personally, I think a "sun roof" is the daftest thing they put in cars

That's true enough.
If it's a roasting hot day the main thing mine gets used for is leaving it tilted up a bit while parked. Hoping it lets some of the heat out.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Specially on mine which has climate control and a sun roof
I have no idea if it works or not but I suspect the seals have seized up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've had cars with and without sun-roofs the current Toyota doesn't (they charmingly call it a moon-roof) I used to like keeping the inner slide cover back in the winter to let in more light, SWMBO used to habitually shut it when she got in the car. But the roof was only rarely opened, again SWMBO found it too draughty.
But those I've had when electric have had a manual winding option in the event of failure. The owners manual for the current car suggests if a moon-roof is fitted there is a manual closing option.
As far as rag-tops are concerned, no thanks, give me air-con any day.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I had a factory fitted electric sunroof on my last car and it was rarely opened (not sure if it had manual control)
My current car doesn't have one and it's not missed.
Edit: Just checked and it could be moved manually with an Allen key in the motor spindle requiring removal of the overhead console.
Not something needed during a Summer downpour.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

When I've had company cars the options list included aircon or sunroof not both. I'm not aware whether that was a manufacturers stipulation or something decided by the leasing company.  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: 7up
Quote from: gleneagles

I always wondered what that removable plastic panel up there was for - now I know! The motor has a slot in it and it never occurred to me that the removable panel might be for emergency sun roof closing..  Roll eyes
To be honest I never knew either until I looked in the drivers manual that came with the car.
@shutter,
Personally I like sun roofs as they let more light into the car but if it's really hot there is another panel that can be pulled across to keep the light out.
Air conditioning on when it's really hot and you have the perfect environment.
The car is over 10 years old so I am not sure if the channels in the sun roof are rusting or if the motor is packing up, must investigate if I get the time.
Smiley