cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer starts 1st May!

Devonian
Grafter

Summer starts 1st May!

Well, here is the proof that I, as a local, get ripped off for living in Torbay.
Every year, on the 1st of May, the shops, and parking put their prices sky high to rip off the tourists.
There used to be a locals card, where anybody living in the post code areas could get a card from the council, and all the shops, and car parks would adjust the prices, so the locals wouldn't be charged extra when the prices rise.
This year, the council have scraped the card, whilst rather conveniently introducing more paid on street parking, and employing more parking enforcement officers.
Granted it's not nice to rip anybody off, by when you go on your hols, it is kind of expected that you pay a little more.
But when you live in the area, and you are the bread and butter of the businesses and council, you expect a little loyalty.
It works both ways.
Currently parking in Torbay costs £2 for the day.
From the 1st of May, it will be £8.  Angry
Bread, milk, you know the essentials, they all go up 10p to. 
Combine that with low wages, seasonal employment, high utility bills, and the highest water rates in the country.. At least I have more from Monday to pay for it! 
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: Summer starts 1st May!

So you're happy for us to visit you and be ripped off and not give a monkeys but when you get ripped off like us because you live there you suddenly give a damn?
Welcome.. to the real world Wink
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

Quote from: Devonian
Granted it's not nice to rip anybody off, by when you go on your hols, it is kind of expected that you pay a little more.
But when you live in the area, and you are the bread and butter of the businesses and council, you expect a little loyalty.
It works both ways.

itsme
Grafter

Normally any extra money raised from tourists help the locals in someway. So I assume the locals do benefit if not then you have the ballot paper.
I'm use to paying a daily tourist tax in French and Swiss ski resorts which slightly irritate me.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

In similar vein to 7up reply.... if you can`t stand the heat.... get out of the kitchen....  i.e.  go and live somewhere else... not near the seaside, and not on the Cornish Riviera....  I expect it is the same in Nice, and St. Tropez... so avoid those areas.. as well as Blackpool, Bournemouth, Portsmouth and Southsea, and just about anywhere the grockels go .  Cheesy
Community Veteran

Is there anywhere where government/councils don't overcharge and rip the taxpayer off (again)?
You just pay and pay again, layer upon layer like a gigantic onion.
Whatevers in the centre stinks to high heaven.
Devonian
Grafter

I didn't say it is unique to this area, and I certainly didn't say it's right!
However, tourists choose to come here... where as I LIVE here.
I live through the crap winter, with all the shops boarded up for 6 months, the beaches covered in sea weed and litter, because the council only sweep the beaches in the summer.
I also live through the summers when traffic is some 8 times higher than winter, causing a 10 minute trip to take an hour.
When the population is 5 times higher than it is during the winter, which causes real problems for a lot of people going about their daily lives, then there is the litter, the air pollution, the over crowded buses, so being local, I already pay a steep price for living here, without the prices going through the roof too.
Just like any other tourist spot.  Just to make that point clear.  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: billnotben
Is there anywhere where government/councils don't overcharge and rip the taxpayer off (again)?

Yes, a little place called Portchester, just between Fareham and Portsmouth..... FREE parking, right behind the shops... in a BIG carpark... great little shops there,... good Wednesday market. and a really super Boulangerie ...
Community Veteran

But generally the overall picture is bleak.
Totton also has a nice free car park at the back of the shops.
They used to close the car park and have a good market here on Wednesdays but that was priced out. Drove away most of the market traders until it reached the point where half the car park stayed open as well as the market.
Then the council said there was no longer a demand and so it finally disappeared.
Fixes: 125

I used to love staying in Torquay and was there in 2012 (took my aged mother, too) and last year but was disappointed. Admittedly it was early May both times but I noticed there was even less attractions and energy last year than the previous year.
I also used to think Torquay was the better of the Riviera towns but I actually think Paignton is now.
Got a lot of family history South Devon (holidays, girlfriends, etc) but will give it a miss for a few years.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Devonian
Grafter

That's my point exactly Mav.. out of season, and it's a completely different place.
And if you ask anybody that lives here, even the Torquinians, they all say Paignton is the best of the 3 towns.
The thing is, the council, and other businesses (mainly the likes of Tesco) up the prices, thinking 'woohoo lets rip everybody off for a few months and cash in on the tourists'
What they don't seem to notice is the towns losing more and more local shops, because people are deserting the high streets because of the raised prices.
And once people leave, they will think twice before coming back.