Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Time is on it`s way ! !

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Summer Time is on it`s way ! !

Clocks go forward ONE hour....

Daylight saving time     2019 in United Kingdom will begin at 01:00 on Sunday 31 March.

I thought we had British Summer Time .... Undecided

17 REPLIES 17
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Summer Time is on it`s way ! !

@shutter 

Make the most of what we have, the EU is about to ditch it in 2021... at least they can get something right! 

Next up, the banning of warm beer on those rare sunny evenings. Tongue 

https://www.theverge.com/2019/3/26/18282170/european-parliament-end-daylight-saving-time-end-2021

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

@shutter We do have BST, but in this 'inclusive' world we seem to live in, that is an unacceptable term - you aren't allowed to label anything with a specific name.Crazy3

I do hope we have some summer in the UK.

John
Highlighted
Anonymous
Not applicable

Why have BST when we never really have a Summer worth timing!

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

@Minivanman wrote:. at least they can get something right!

I don't know. It's not going to make a blind bit of difference to me in the winter. It'll still be dark when I get up and it'll still be dark when I come home! Currently, mid winter, it gets light at about 8am and starts getting dark around 4pm. So it'll still be dark at 9am and dark again come 5pm. I do know when I worked out doors, we used to start at 8am and start wrapping up at 4pm, which tied in with the hours of natural daylight in winter.

Still the kids will be happy, going off to school later and coming home later. All to do with safety! Can't have them walking around in the dark.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

For some years in the 60s and early 70s BST stood for British Standard Time which applied throughout the year.

I'd like to see Double Summer Time, as applied during the war, but for the entire year.  Does anyone gain much from having sunrise before 5 a.m.?

And if the Scottish farmers (the usual excuse for keeping the current system) want to be in a different time zone, why not?  The USA, Canada, Russia etc. manage perfectly well without the entire Country being in the same time zone.

However, I suspect there are some who would insist that Greenwich should at least adhere to Greenwich Mean Time for part of the year.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@Jonpe 

With Scotland being on virtually the same longitude how would that work, and what determines the width of latitude in order to determine those different time zones. 

Over to those that know about such things.

Me, I'm off to wind up my carriage clock clock and I've horses to change and a stagecoach to catch. First stop, the Dog and Duck in Putney!

Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

@Jonpe 

... and what determines the width of latitude in order to determine those different time zones. 

Over to those that know about such things.

I'm not someone who knows about these things, but I was aware that certain places have half-hour time zones which seems strange to say the least.

I Googled to check and was even more surprised that apparently there are even 45-minute time zones!

Highlighted
Rising Star

Hello Everyone

In the UK, Daylight saving time (DST) or British Summer Time (BST) starts at 1.00am on 31/March (last Sunday in March) until Sunday 27/October (last Sunday in October) So we move from 1am to 2am in March (skip an hour) and at the end of October we return to Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) from 2am (gaining back the hour).

My wife was a kid growing up in Scotland in the 60's when they experimented ending the (GMT) and on March/1968 the clocks went forward and didn't return back until October/1971. The results seem to suggest that more people were killed or injured in the darker mornings, than in the lighter afternoons, sadly that didn't work, love to know who in goverment did a risk assessment before hand, and if so did they use their own kids in the darkness on dangerous roads as part of the test period. Since then a number of MPs have tried (and failed) to change the clocks through private members bills, with much of the resistance coming from Scottish politicians. However farmers in Scotland seem more open to the idea of the change, not sure about the chicken or egg, but kid or goat, you decide.

My summertime starts on 17/March every year for planting my potatoes and veg.

Good luck

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

@Jonpe wrote:I'd like to see Double Summer Time, <>but for the entire year.  Does anyone gain much from having sunrise before 5 a.m.?

I do, come summer. I usually get up at 5am and out on the road come 5.45am. It really does make a difference driving in daylight. Coupled with an early finish get about 6 hours of daylight to play with after work. However you work it, the sun determines how much light you get.

But like you say other countries manage. I've lived in countries though where no change of clocks happened. It was light around 6am and dark come 6.30pm, all year long. Didn't stop me staying out until the early hours though but that was only because it was very warm all year - min of 23°C.

I'd go for Summer time all year but double means it would still be light at 11pm. I'd have to go buy blackout curtains! I'll leave the cap out for donations.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Highlighted
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

The early sunrise wakes a lot of people up before they need to get up.

Brussels is further south than London, but sunset is about 40 minutes later at the height of summer simply because it's only 4 degrees 21' east of London (Greenwich).  With time zones matching national borders there will always be anomalies.

I don't know where you lived, idonno, but hot countries can be quite nippy at night.

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro

South Vietnam. I seem to recall it went down to 18°C one evening but around 23°C was much more normal. Go North Vietnam though and during the winter months cows have been known to die. In 2011, 10,000 cows died. Strange to say, at temperatures slightly above freezing. Just not used to the cold.

Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 27

Who or what pinched my Summer? It's gone back to cold,wet & windy!Smiley

John
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 35

Yeah.... Darn Sarf, yesterday, we had 8.5c on the car thermometer reading..... and it was hailstoning summat rotten... today,... we have 5.5c... heavy rain squalls, with strong winds, making the temp feel more like freezing.

Not a nice day...

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Same out west @shutter 

Sleet, snow and shivering.Sad