cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Tennis - Queen's and Wimbledon

artmo
Community Veteran

Summer Tennis - Queen's and Wimbledon

The best of British tennis starts today at the Queen's Club and moves on to Wimbledon in a few weeks. Hopefully the weather will be kind to us.

Andy Murray returns to competitive tennis at Queen's. He is to play in the doubles and will decide on his plans for Wimbledon once he sees how his body hold up after his hip surgery.

26 REPLIES 26
randpwar
Grafter

Re: Summer Tennis - Queen's and Wimbledon

Great start to the grass season for Dan Evans, he's won the two Challenger events, Nottingham and Surbiton. Tough draws for the Brits: Edmund has the #1 seed, Norrie has drawn the #2 seed, Evans has three times Grand Slam winner Stan Warwrinka and inexperienced wildcard Clarke has picked out the very talented top 30 ranked Frenchman Pouille....Don't expect too many of them to be in the second round, however, I reckon Evans is worth an upset 

randpwar
Grafter

I won't use the old 'I told you so...' but, they're all out in the first round, though they did all have very tough draws.

On a brighter side, Paul Jubb, a 19 year old and (I think) still an amateur, who has been winning a few rounds on the Challengers, has been given a wildcard for Wimbledon. I know the granting of wc's can be a touchy subject as they always seem to be given to experienced players who just aren't good enough to qualify so it's great to see a youngster get one; a much more deserving cause than James Ward and Heather Watson

artmo
Community Veteran

Yes it's good to see the likes of Paul Jubb being given a chance to compete at the top level. The LTA, however, needs to hang its head in shame. They can take no credit for Jubb's success. He studies and trains at the University of South Carolina. Good luck to him!

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

Just finished watching the final at Queens...not a great tenis fan.....but a great final really enjoyed it.

artmo
Community Veteran

@TTman  Yes it was a great day of tennis at Queen's today. A fantastic mens singles. Lopez and Simon both played very well and congratulations to Lopez for his win.

Lopez then went on to play his heart out with Andy Murray in the doubles to beat Salisbury and Ram in an exciting match.

Lopez said he will make up his mind tonight if he will play Eastbourne this week or rest ahead of Wimbledon. It was good to see that Paul Jubb won in the Eastbourne qualifiers. I look forward to seeing him play.

randpwar
Grafter

Interesting game in prospect at Eastbourne today: British #1 Kyle Edmund v British #3 Dan Evans, likely to be on live on the BBC. Evans has had a great grass season so far winning two Challengers; I sense an upset

Anonymous
Not applicable

We have a gay friend of the family, a tennis player, albeit at amateur level.

He is in Seventh Heaven today.

Kylie yesterday, Mens Tennis, and Cliff coming out & speaking about anonymity today.

(He hasn't come out as gay to the local community yet, just waiting for his mum to pass away)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

You have a gay friend? Roll_eyes

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, I don't...

You never seem to read fully what is written, putting your own incorrect spin.

@Anonymous wrote:

We have a gay friend of the family, a tennis player, albeit at amateur level.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Anonymous 

Not putting a spin on anything but OK....

You have a gay friend of the family?

Just surprised that in this day and age it's an issue and one that needs to be mentioned along with having to "come out" - or was it Queens and Wimbledon we are all supposed to have a snigger at?

Not looking to cross swords here, just thought we'd moved on from having to mention such things.

artmo
Community Veteran

@Minivanman I assumed he was able to offer support to the individual from his own experiences.

Seems strange to introduce the subject into a thread clearly discussing tennis.

And back on subject we have had a good day's play today at Wimbledon.

Kyle Edmund had a good start with a straight sets win.

Heather Watson also started well with a 2 set win.

Although not British it was also good to see Cori Gauff have a great day in beating Venus Williams.

randpwar
Grafter

Yes, I agree, a nice win for Edmund. He, Norrie and Evans have got pretty good draws; would be nice to get three of them into the 3rd round at least. When do you go @artmo ?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@artmo 

I did not introduce the subject, I only commented.

artmo
Community Veteran

@randpwar wrote:
Yes, I agree, a nice win for Edmund. He, Norrie and Evans have got pretty good draws; would be nice to get three of them into the 3rd round at least. When do you go @artmo ?

Well your wish has been granted with Evans. Unfortunately Ward is out in 5 sets but Norrie has taken the first set.