Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summer Holidays

jab1
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

Summer Holidays

Now, I know this subject, like the on about food and the opposite season, comes up every year, but I'm still going to ask:-

What's everyone doing for their Summer holidays?

Me, I'm planning various day trips between now and October, with a nice three-week stay in the Brighton area at the end of July(where, incidentally, I will also be spending the 'Christmas' holiday).

John
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

Re: Summer Holidays

I`m going to buy an old Routemaster bus.... convert it into a mobile campervan, and then get my mates to join me on a tour of the southern european countries, where the sun shines all day and every day,.... may pick up a couple of girl hitchhikers along the way, and have some dancing on the beach.... gonna take a highly trained camera crew along  ( they will be in their own Ford Transit, so should be able to keep up with the old routemaster) ! ! ! . and me and my mates might write a few songs, and when we come back we will all be sunburnt, and in love with the most beautiful girls you could ever wish for, and we all live on the proceeds of the film ... now,... let`s think up a really good name for it, and then I can write a catchy tune to go with it  ! ..

Highlighted
jab1
Aspiring Champion

Hiya, Cliff.SmileyWink

Think my plans are tiny bit more achievable, though.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@jab1 wrote:
What's everyone doing for their Summer holidays?

As little as possible.

Something I seem to be able to manage quite successfully.

Let me tell you it takes a fair bit of effort and planning to do nothing.Smiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Holidays? What are those? Funny

jab1
Aspiring Champion

I understand what you mean @billnotben, I used to find that, but now I seem to find it takes more effort to do nothing.Smiley

@twocvbloke they're the things I never seemed to have time for when I was working.Crazy2

John
harrym1byt
Rising Star

We usually have four weeks away taking our tourer caravan along with us, a week up in the north east, a couple of weeks further afield (Wales), then a final week in the north east. We are a little late this year having our first trip out, due to circumstances, but we have it planned to get away next weekend.

We have two border collies, one of which is rather 'lively', so we tend to having to gravitate to less busy sites with easy access to long walks.

198kHz
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 11

We like the West Country and Scotland. It was Cornwall last year, so maybe Orkney or Shetland this year.

Remember you are unique - just like everyone else
Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

Nothing planned till June 15th, then 4 days on River Trent. 1 minute past midnight on 15th/16th and 'Plop'  feeders hitting the river for those barbel and chub. Cool smiley Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
salmo
Rising Star

I'm being greedy this year and having a holiday in The Canaries and then a fishing holiday in Kamchatka. My retirement lump sum will then have been eaten up so next year it will my usual (and enjoyable) week fishing in Scotland providing I'm still physically able to wade down a river at night trying to catch sea trout. 

jab1
Aspiring Champion

Went on my first 'day out for summer' trip on Thursday - Leeds to Whitby on the 840 route - currently ranked the #1 scenic route in the UK - and I must say it's deserved.  The views were spectacular over the moors, and some of the route was, to put it mildly, a bit 'interesting' - double hairpin on a 1-in-4 drop being the one that sticks in my mind.

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 19

@jab1 wrote:

a bit 'interesting' - double hairpin on a 1-in-4 drop being the one that sticks in my mind.

That sounds like it is "blue bank"   just before you get to Whitby.....    as you say... a lovely route, and the prize at the end of it all, Whitby... What a gem... talking of which... don`t forget to go across the swing bridge....  turn left, and enjoy the cobble street atmosphere of the shops, and visit the Whitby jet shops... then come back across the bridge... turn right and get some really fresh cod & chips opposite the fish market ! .. Mmmmm yum yum ! .Smiley6600

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

We'll be working keeping the holiday cottages in repair after the depredations of the guests and their pets. Our last "proper" holiday was 10 years ago, though living retired in Derbyshire is like a full time holiday. Our dogs and bees need someone around to look after them.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 9

Holidays ?

I have been on holiday since the day I retired !

Even those odd jobs around the house give me a degree of pleasure as there is no urgency to do them.

Fully agree whitby. is a lovely place and just down the road is robin hoods bay, well worth a visit.

Amazing what can be on your own doorstep, since retiring I have visited many places.in the country side within a 1 to 2 hour drive of where I live and been well impressed with the scenery.

jab1
Aspiring Champion

@gleneagles I seem to have less time since I retired, but some of that is due to family situations.

Robin Hoods Bay is on my 'to do' list next time I go in that direction, but I have to plan carefully as I don't drive, and public transport in some places can be a bit challenging, to say the least.Smiley Having said that, part of the fun for me is the planning.

John