Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Summat odd must've 'append to my photty

Luzern
Pro
Fixes: 2

Summat odd must've 'append to my photty

rsz_s&o_final_075_2.jpg did not look like this when taken, else I'd have thrown it out. It would have looked much like

skara.jpg which was taken from publicity.

I'm puzzling my self how the black splodge has introduced itself. Are there digital ink pots to fall over, or fountain pens to leak?

Comments, some sensible, are welcomed. As to any salvage, that would seem remote. Sad

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
30 REPLIES
Browni
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 35

Re: Summat odd must've 'append to my photty

Finger in front of the lens?
I must have been really bad in a previous life. This is my 3rd ISP in a row that uses lithium.
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Insect on lens?...or something/someone casting a shadow?

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Certainly a "weird" effect... .. don`t think it would be a "lens" problem... like something on the lens, or it would appear on other pics

Luzern
Pro

@Browni@Pete11 I don't think so; the shape is so peculiar. That is unless the Loch Ness monster had decided to take a land bound holiday.

@shutter Weird it is indeed. A dream would be to be able to add quality to that publicity shot (cheat),so it enlarges better.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
wisty
Aspiring Pro

Sorry my eyes must be getting old, but all I can see in the first picture is heavy shadow top left. The second was taken with much flatter (overcast?) lighting. Look at the shadow just to the right of the central feature. It matches the direction of the sun shown in the bigger shadow area.

The camera can't cope with the contrast in the first picture and has exposed for the central area which is brightly lit. As a consequence the shadow areas have come out very black. The eyes and the brain are much better at dealing with high contrast images than a camera sensor, which is why you don't perceive the contrast as much.

Something like Photoshop in the hands of a good user should be able to selectively lighten the shadow area.

Community Veteran

@Luzern 

Luzern wrote:

Comments, some sensible, are welcomed. As to any salvage, that would seem remote. Sad

Go back and take another one,... or maybe more... at different time of day... the suggestion that it may be a shadow cast seems to be the most obvious, doing some careful analysis visually, as to how the shadow is formed... without knowing the actual site, it is difficult to be certain.

Don`t think you will be able to improve the low quality publicity image.. however, you may be able to borrow one from google images ! ! ..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

It's either an Anti-matter spacecraft shining an Anti-light spotlight on the scene. Or, it's shadow you'd not previously registered.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Luzern
Pro

shutter wrote:

@Luzern 

Luzern wrote:

Go back and take another one,... or maybe more... at different time of day... the suggestion that it may be a shadow cast seems to be the most obvious, doing some careful analysis visually, as to how the shadow is formed... without knowing the actual site, it is difficult to be certain.

Don`t think you will be able to improve the low quality publicity image.. however, you may be able to borrow one from google images ! ! ..

Going back is not likely, with my being on the south coast and the photo taken in the Orkneys. offers to pay hotel and travel costs, please.Grin

Community Veteran

@Luzern  You`d better set up a "crowd funding site" for that.... or ... as mentioned previously... scour the pics on Google Images...  !  Cheesy

Luzern
Pro

@shutter Does one constitute a crowd?Undecided

When I got my Windows 10  computer a few months back, it didn't reinstall my PhotoPlus editing application as a priority, simp;e editing being easily dealt with.

I wonder what I could use in PhotoPlus to deal with (partially perhaps) the splodges.

BTW the Google images found were of same quality, as that from publicity .

Pete11
Pro

@Luzern

There is a little trick you could try to improve the size of said photty (assuming you have a camera and/or lens with Macro).

That is to photograph the photo, and I'm assuming also the original is a bit small. Get the very best print of it you can then with the camera set to macro, go in real close and take a photo of it.

This has worked for me in the past, with good results. Once you have got the copy, you should be able to resize/edit to your requirements. Thumbs Up

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran

Luzern wrote:

When I got my Windows 10  computer a few months back, it didn't reinstall my PhotoPlus editing application as a priority, simp;e editing being easily dealt with.

I wonder what I could use in PhotoPlus to deal with (partially perhaps) the splodges.

@Luzern nope !... one is one...... two is company.... and  "Three is a crowd"...  !...

I tried windows 10  and dumped it, as soon as I realised that when downloading my pics from the camera, the Win7 version of downloading provided a dated folded and the pics were downloaded to that folder in a sensible 001.jpg series of numbering... all without further ado... but Win10.. needed three apps to get to that state... also some other apps that I used quite often were missing from Win10..

I use Irfanview for my processing... cropping adjusting contrast etc.. ( as you call it  "simple editing"..-)  .  but if I want to do some "serious" stuff I have a great FREE program called PhotPosPro4... which works similar to Photoshop... I also have a couple of other "fun" type progs that can be used..for some special effects..

You could have a look on "FLICKR" to see if there is a similar pic to yours...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Luzern

I cannot add any additional information to that already given by others on how you might rescue your photograph, however it is important to identify what the cause might be, if you get on that world cruise the last thing you need is a batch of poor photos.

Smiley

At what time of day did you take the photograph ? was it in full Sun, part shade or cloudy ? Have you ever taken other photos with this camera that displayed the same or similar problems, some cameras allow the Auto Focus point to be set, depending on the setting this might have caused anything in shade to be even darker.

Next time you are in the local town call into one of those shops selling photo equiptment and ask them for their opinion, if they suggest a new camera.....walk out.

Wink

Luzern
Pro

shutter wrote:

Luzern wrote:

@Luzern nope !... one is one...... two is company.... and  "Three is a crowd"...  !...

I tried windows 10  and dumped it, as soon as I realised that when downloading my pics from the camera, the Win7 version of downloading provided a dated folded and the pics were downloaded to that folder in a sensible 001.jpg series of numbering... all without further ado... but Win10.. needed three apps to get to that state... also some other apps that I used quite often were missing from Win10..

I use Irfanview for my processing... cropping adjusting contrast etc.. ( as you call it  "simple editing"..-)  .  but if I want to do some "serious" stuff I have a great FREE program called PhotPosPro4... which works similar to Photoshop... I also have a couple of other "fun" type progs that can be used..for some special effects..

You could have a look on "FLICKR" to see if there is a similar pic to yours...

Iwonder what 4. 5, 6, 7 etc could be cllaed.

Serif PhotoPlus is not too dissimilar to Photoshop, but now repalced by Affinity Photo. At my vintage I'll stick with what I have. 

Flicr.. hhmmm.