cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suitcases - whats happened to the REAL ones?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Suitcases - whats happened to the REAL ones?

Moons ago there used to be suit cases with wheels. These wheels were however different. They had two wheels at the back, and two swivels at the front and you could simply drag them along behind you.

screenshot-1109 screenshot-1109

The front wheels swivelling allowed it to follow while the rear ones kept it from going in any random direction like a shopping trolley does.

Then came the same style of suit case with just two non directional wheels. You'd have to lift it up at the dragging end and if it  is / was heavy you suffer.

screenshot-1109screenshot-1109

Now we've gone back to 4 wheels but this time they're swivel wheels, the suit case is stood on it's end and has a telescopic handle.

screenshot-1109

You can pull it behind you on two wheels (again not ideal if heavy) or you can pull it along next to you on all 4 but it will put strain on your wrist trying to keep it moving straight if its heavy (the handle is on one side and so the suitcase wants to counter that - especially on tarmac such as car parks). Also with these evil cretins if you have multiple suitcases (like we did last year) you can't easily chain them together and pull them along like a train of cases - which can be done successfully with older cases..

So whats happened to the older style that you could simply drag along with minimal fuss?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
5 REPLIES 5
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Suitcases - whats happened to the REAL ones?

Trendy ( international ) Travellers..... think they "look good"  pushing a filing cabinet alongside of them...

if they are seen "dragging" one`s case behind, then they could be mistaken for crew....

note... Trendy (international)  Travellers, only NEED one case... more than that, you would be classed as a holiday maker...

7up
Community Veteran

Trendy isn't good though. Practical is.

The draggable cases were practical. I need practical..

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@7up Cases are no problem whatever the design to me.........I have a wife. (ducks flying plates) Just kiddingFunnyEvil

7up
Community Veteran

I'm very tempted by one of those.. however i was hoping it would still be possible to find them new? - but i'm amazed you found those!