cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sugar

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Sugar

The medical and dental profession make a strong case that sugar is the cause of a number of health problems such as obesity and loss of teeth in young children which is costing the health service billions of pounds to deal with yet the government refuses to increase the tax on sugar.
Why ?
I can think of no logical reason.
61 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Sugar

Quote from: gleneagles
I can think of no logical reason.

I can, the conservatories only care about the old folk, so they don't care if the young 'uns die of health problems relating to sugar intake... Grin
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Not so long ago the Establishment were saying add the toxin called Fluoride into our water as a mass medication and it will solve the tooth decay problem in kids. Now the great thing is the demon sugar.
It should be down to parents to educate their kids about avoiding extra sugar in their diets and treats. Sugar doesn't cause obesity or tooth decay, it is excessive consumption of sugar and a bone idle lack of teeth brushing which is a personal choice which causes the problems.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 47

Quote from: twocvbloke
the conservatories......don't care if the young 'uns die of health problems relating to sugar intake... Grin

Of course they care about the young otherwise they would run out of oldies to care for Tongue
Oh...sorry. I just noticed, you hadn't realised that most of the young eventually grow old.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Nah, they only care about the present oldies, the they don't care about the future ones, after all, the fewer young people who survive today, the fewer state pensions that have to be paid in later years... Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagels IMHO the doctors do not have a strong  case, what about making fruit/veg/good food cheaper? what about cutting the cost of a gym membership? Its just another tax. And since when was sweeteners sugar? and do they still put fluoride in tap water to combat tooth decay?
Community Veteran

Quote from: M
what about making fruit/veg/good food cheaper?

Fruit and veg contain a lot of sugar in them aswell (fructose mainly, which only the liver can process and when consumed in quantity (such as with High-Fructose Corn Syrup, or HFCS, which is a popular sugar replacement in the US) can cause fatty liver disease), with people feeding their kids dried fruit as snacks, they're basically doing the same as other parents who pour coca cola down their kids necks, despite their good intentions of feeding more fruit and veg...
what about cutting the cost of a gym membership?

Open your front door, the whole world is your gym, you can walk, jog, run, cycle, climb, dig, build and play in it, all of which are free (or cheaper than a gym) to do...
And since when was sweeteners sugar?

Not everyone can consume sweeteners such as aspartame, such as myself, in my case it causes severe and painful digestive troubles leaving me somewhat incapacitated and requiring there be a toilet within 5 seconds running distance...
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: AlaricAdair
mass medication
Which I thought was illegal.
Community Veteran

Quote from: twocvbloke
Nah, they only care about the present oldies, the they don't care about the future ones, after all, the fewer young people who survive today, the fewer state pensions that have to be paid in later years... Grin
Are you sure there will be a state pension by then ? or at least a state pension that's worth having ?
Smiley
Community Veteran

I use Sweetex sweeteners which do not have the side effects compared with those containing aspartame. it's available in powder form as well for sprinkling on fruit and cereal.
what about cutting the cost of a gym membership? Its just another tax.

How is a gym membership another tax?  If you want to use a gym go and use one but why should this be subsidised by others? I belong to a gym and would be annoyed if other members were getting discounts.
Community Veteran

Quote from: gleneagles
Are you sure there will be a state pension by then ? or at least a state pension that's worth having ?
Smiley

I'm sure they'll have it deleted by then, after all, screw today's generation by ruining them tomorrow, that's the conservatories way... Grin
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@artmo I meant cut gym memberships and sugar tax is just another tax. Not everyone wants to workout outdoors in the pouring rain or a cold harsh winter.
Community Veteran

@gleneagels IMHO the doctors do not have a strong  case, what about making fruit/veg/good food cheaper? what about cutting the cost of a gym membership? Its just another tax. And since when was sweeteners sugar? and do they still put fluoride in tap water to combat tooth decay?
There seems to be a fair amount of current research that backs up the medical/dental professions claim, by increasing a tax on sugar the money could be used to reduce the cost of good food & gym membership although I would be the first to accept that money raised in this way would not be used to reduce such costs.
Steve
Seasoned Pro

@gleneagles Tax hasn't stopped other evils though has it?
Fixes: 47

The TV mini series about teeth the other week was interesting....http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b05p5v5f/broadcasts/2015/07
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation