Did you mean: 

Sugar in Food... The MILK with Cereals is a big culprit‏

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Sugar in Food... The MILK with Cereals is a big culprit‏

For example
A  3 pieces portion of Weetabix is 2.4 grams of Sugar
Add Milk and that goes up to 14.7 grams of sugar per portion !!
That's more than two slices of Toast, with Margarine & thinly spread Marmalade, at 11.3 grams of Sugar per portion

(Though, I have heard it said that because the Sugar in Milk is Lactose rather than Glucose or Fructose, it doesn't really count ?)

One surprising fact, is that a Banana contains the equivalent of 7 teaspoons of Sugar !!
And I like my Bananas as street food whilst wandering around the Village !

And of course, the Daily Mail has an article on this....
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/article-2573986/People-HALVE-sugar-eat-want-improve-health-World-H...
40 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Sugar in Food... The MILK with Cereals is a big culprit‏

It would simpler if we all gave up eating and drinking entirely, that way we wouldn't ingest any nasties at all. But wouldn't put some of the researchers out of work.
Seems to me hardly a week goes by that we find we're poisoning ourselves with something we've been eating or drinking since the dawn of our time.
Within reason and not taken to access the human body is capable of dealing with most things swallowed into it. We are by design omnivorous, you only need to look at our teeth which are designed for chewing meat and grinding vegetable matter, and have been for a long time.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

there talking about refined cane sugar that gets added into food stuffs during the processing phase, 99% of sugar listed on everyday items is naturally occurring and is nothing to worry about (lactose /fructose) even cane sugar is actually good for you in small amounts
in fact the whole thing is a shambles that some economist group came up with as a way to tax the country out of debt unfortunately taxing everything with sugar would be rather counter productive to all the "good food/healthy eating" stuff they are trying to get everyone to adhere too, as you pointed out a single portion of fruit is loaded with sugar, yet far from being added sugar that stuff is naturally occurring .....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Infinity
Pro

There was an extremely interesting Documentary recently on British TV, about Sugar as opposed to Fat, being the baddy.
They interviewed, amongst others, an ex Coca Cola boss, and how the introduction of Fructose showed a correlating rise in obesity in the US.
I think it was on BBC2, or Channel 4 Despatches, and will no doubt now be repeated soon.

And as mentioned many times elsewhere, Low Fat tends to mean High Sugar.
Best advice, stay away from processed foods, and cook from scratch with fresh produce.
itsme
Grafter

Was that the programme that had twin doctors one on a high fat diet and the other on a high sugar diet? There were problems with the diets but what they found was they did not put weight on. The conclusion it was food that contained both high fats and sugars that cause weight gain and cheesecake was used as an example.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool Do not be tricked by this stage managed histeria campaign. It could be part of a PR con to enable the Government to impose VAT on food under the auspice of the nanny state knows best - and the paranoid populus demand [on Twitter] that the government does something against this evil substance abuse... and it just so happens there's already a green paper written by an advisory think-tank.
And what doesn't contain sugar? Even those fair trade organic sun dried apricots that lefties only let their children take to [private] school, are crammed full of terrifying words like dextrose and hexose. Obesity epidemic? The only obese thing in the UK is a public sector that gourges itself on the candy floss of public money. A public sector stuffed with cronies whose job it is to coat with sucrose those things you would not want to tread in.
Once sugar was a luxury only the wealthy could afford, so common people ate apples and bread, all containing natural sugar. Maybe there will soon be a time when legislation railroads soccer moms into buying Carbohydrate Credits from their school so they can sprinkle icing sugar on the birthday cupcakes?
btw I should point out that Lord Sugar has nothing to do with this low-carbohydrate economy. So being anit-sugar is not being anti-semitic.
Now time for a sugar rush....  Cheesy
nanotm
Pro

rather disturbing was the tv doctor on day break spouting utter shoite, "sugar has no nutritional value"  there's plebeians out there who drink up every word of these so called experts no matter what utter B.S. they spout
without the requisite calories from sugar your body cannot function and you die of exposure (not a pretty thing to witness) even in such a mild climate that we are having currently, the body is like a furnace and calories are the fuel, if you don't feed it enough it stops working effectively, if you over feed it, it stops working effectively, the trick is all about balance
it would be far better if they provided accurate education rather than the scaremongering crap that litters all the health and education industry after almost 2 decades of hysteria, educating the not so bright that if its processed its a bad idea to consume it more than once a week and you need to walk at least a mile a day (especially important for the under 18's)
but this will be a new super tax and a huge number of people will suffer from poor dietary conditions that are far more costly to society than a few million a year treating type 2 diabetes
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
educating the not so bright that if its processed its a bad idea to consume it more than once a week and you need to walk at least a mile a day (especially important for the under 18's)

I agree with everything you say. But on your point above, how many kids have even ever walked to school? Just kick your kids out the SUV!!
You are right, tt's about balance, not guilt avoidance. Eating is not a disorder but, there's always some person willing to tell even a complete stranger that the fruit they are eating is, forbidden fruit.
We live in a society where it's not cool to remind someone that they are gay, or black, or a woman, but you can tell any black, gay, woman, or man, they are fat. Meanwhile, schools keep databases on the fat-kids. It's no wonder little girls think anorexic is an aspirational lifestyle choice.
Cool Spin Spin Sugar
nanotm
Pro

well indeed fortunately though my kids get plenty of exercise, its a mile each way to primary and its just under a mile and a half each way to the secondary, my kids either walk or they don't go and its a similar situation for a lot of others round here Smiley
there are a few time wasters who would rather shove the brood into a motor but most see the stupidity there (it takes 5 minutes longer even when theres no parking problems) but I think the radical changes are based more on the price of fuel than the health benefits........
beeceegee
Rising Star

Quote from: PlusComUK
For example

...with all the sugar I then load on top it's no wonder I feel invincible straight after brekkie  Cheesy  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
How much milk, it's only 5% sugar (lactose)!
That suggests you put half a pint in your cereal bowl.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I actually exceed the recommended amount every day excluding any snacking
Fresh orange juice 6 teaspoons - one of my 5 a day
Cereals (shreaded wheat plus semi skimmed milk and a few raisins) 4 teaspoons - raisins one of my 5 a day
Two apples 6 teaspoons - one of my 5 a day
Wholemeal bread 1 teaspoon
Fruit for desert (example blackberries) 2 teaspoons - one of my five a day
Total 19 teaspoons so something is really wrong
To add I used to have a banana a day as well - another 7 teaspoons
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

If milk is bad then why do ALL mammals use it for their young?
I've never heard such a load of nonsense.  Yes, milk is 5% carbohydrate, of which 5% is 'sugars' i.e. lactose, hardly the same thing as 5% refined sucrose.
Milk is only bad for you if you are lactose intolerant or similar, heck, you even get to choose how much fat you want in the stuff - 2%, 1% or hardly any.
Pretty much all dieticians will recommend consuming milk (skimmed if you need to loose weight) whereas no dietician would recommend consuming cola.
Weetabix contains 25.7g of carbohydrate per serving (37.5g), of which 1.7g is 'sugar' but our bodies break down much of the starchy carbohydrates into sugars (maltose & glucose) anyway so while the milk may contain more 'sugar' than the weetabix there are 134 kcal in the weetabix, (pretty much all of which come from carbohydrates) and (semi skimmed) milk only has 42 kcal per 100g.
If politicians want to tax 'obesity' then they should be very careful, perhaps simply taxing the obvious 'obesity promoting foods' like cream cakes, doughnuts and fizzy drinks would be more acceptable.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
<snip>
That suggests you put half a pint in your cereal bowl.  Crazy

Got to drown then sons of the cereal killers Roll eyes Cheesy
If milk is bad then why do ALL mammals use it for their young?

That would be species to same species specific
Not species to other species I suppose
Community Veteran

I've just spent 90 mins splitting logs by hand with a maul. Give me carbs and sugar quickly.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.