cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Sugar Tax

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sugar Tax

Here we go again! Another unelected self selected pressure group calling for taxation to modify public behaviour. This time it is for a tax on sugar on the grounds it might stop kids eating sweet things.
The impact will be to increase the cost of living rather than discourage eating sugar laced products. These unwanted busybodies should focus their efforts on the manufacturers who put unnecessary sugar in food to increase profits rather than use the crude tool of tax penalties on the general public. While their aims may be meritorious in wanting to tackle obesity, their methods are dumb.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
33 REPLIES
Fixes: 104

Re: Sugar Tax

The crusade against fat after flawed research meant companies started using sugar which turns out could actually be worse now the same type of people crusade against sugar... They just don't seem to learn.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

We shall be having a Window Tax, soon,  to save the sunlight  for future generations... or better still,.... a Bedroom Tax... so we don`t have a room for making future generations ! ! ! ....
Community Veteran

The amount we pay for water must already be encouraging someone to see if they can charge for air as well.
itsme
Grafter

Are you referring to the price of bottle water or through the tap?
My combined water and sewage chargers cost me 1.5p per litre, I would not say this is excessive.
Edit: Got my figures wrong what I use a month and what I pay. The combined cost is 0.5p per litre for water and sewage. Anglian Water charge per cubic metre £1.9795 for water and £2.9921 for sewage and there is no standing charge
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: shutter
We shall be having a Window Tax, soon,  to save the sunlight  for future generations... or better still,.... a Bedroom Tax... so we don`t have a room for making future generations ! ! ! ....
A Window tax was tried centuries ago but it didn't work as people bricked up some windows in their properties, in some very old properties the evidence is still there to be seen,
Almost anything that is likely to bring more money in for the Government is likely to get  approved and sugar is just the latest in a long line of things, they would be better looking at ways to save money rather than  more ideas on how to spend it.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
A Window tax was tried centuries ago but it didn't work as people bricked up some windows in their properties, in some very old properties the evidence is still there to be seen,

It's not just on old properties they build new house with bricked up windows. I can understand this if they are in a street with old houses so they blend in but they do it on new estates.
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Quote from: shutter

Why not both?
Although it wouldn't be a bedroom if it didn't have a window...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Being a diabetic I can't say it would bother me.  Grin
As I HAVE to check labels to see how much sugar is in a thing before I buy it, putting the price up would only make me less likely to buy it anyway,
Community Veteran

Increasing tax would not solve the sugar problem. You have to tackle it at source and go to the manufacturers.
Community Veteran

Next they'll be proposing putting pictures of obese children on sweets to deter children from buying them.
F9 member since 4 Sep 1999
F9 ADSL customer since 27 Aug 2004
DLM manages your line the same way DRM manages your rights.
Look at all the pretty graphs! (now with uptime logging!)
TORPC
Grafter

I agree with artmo
If the food manufacturers, use less sugar / chemicals in their lower end priced products, aimed towards children, the children had more exercise etc, then their would be less obesity
However it is not just down to sugar
It is also caused by eating the wrong type of foods on a long term basis, IE: Pastries / Take - outs /  Dairy products etc
from my own personal experience & since giving up smoking, my diet had increased of the above listed & I had gained @ least 1 -2 stone in weight & went from a 30 waist to a 34 waist
Since recently balancing my diet out in moderation with salads / pasta / healthy non fattening foods, I am starting to loose the weight & the belly that goes with it
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
I would not say this is excessive.

Anything can seem a bargain if you divide it up enough. Even the water companies play that game.
You forgot to include:-
Surface water drainage
Highway drainage
Community Veteran

Quote from: itsme
The combined cost is 0.5p per litre for water and sewage. Anglian Water charge per cubic metre £1.9795 for water and £2.9921 for sewage and there is no standing charge

I agree with you, the charge for your water and sewage seems reasonable. I really don't know my costs but I will have to look it up.
Community Veteran

It's all relative anyway.
I'm sure there's many that would waltz into a restaurant and say cripes that Bollinger is a bargain. Smiley
So I should make that to personally I think water is a steal. At those prices they are stealing from me.