Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles on T.V. programmes

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Subtitles on T.V. programmes

Being "hard of hearing"... means that I can only watch tv programmes that have subtitles... at present. those provided by the news services are diabolical, as they often miss long parts of interviews. and usually this occurs at a "crucial" point in the responses back  from the person being interviewed... when the subtitles start again, there is a huge "loss of information" from the previous part, and the contiuation usually starts "midway" into the next question or answer,.

While I appreciate that this is a "voice actuated " system... one would expect, with modern electronics that this could be either eliminated or corrected .An alternative way would be to provide full subtitiglin on a "news + 1 " channel that could be accessed on FREE TO AIR broadcast stations to enable those, like me with hearing difficulties, to "catch up " with an edited and fully subtitled replay. (other FREEVIEW Channels already have this "as a normal" channel, to enable shift workers to "catch up" on programmes. )

Of the 60 or so channels available on FREEVIEW  (a lot of them are shopping or not available , from the 100 predicted)  only 4 or 5  actually produce programmes with subtitles, which limits the entertainment value of the service.

Blind people or people with diminished eyesight can get a reduced TV licence fee,  why not the same for people with hearing loss ?

Alternatively... isn`t it about time that ALL public broadcast channels be Subtitle Enabled, no matter what the content is.... after all most of it is already "pre-recorded" so adding subtitles should be part of the process of producing these programmes by law....

And for those who think it`s funny to respond with   TURN THE VOLUME UP... that is not an option when other people,.. aka my missus... also watch the programme.... also it does not necessarily follow that turning the volume up... or using earphones is practicable or comfortable.   Using earphones tends to "isolate" the viewer from the rest of the company in the same room.  which is not a good thing.

On the subject of "volume"... yes I do have hearing aids.. but again... turning the volume up on them, is not a good idea, and can increase the damage that is already present, making hearing difficult, under "normal" circumstances.  It can also increase the volume of  already permanent "tinnitus" limiting the action even further.

35 REPLIES 35
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

Re: Subtitles on T.V. programmes

@shutter wrote:

On the subject of "volume"... yes I do have hearing aids.. but again... turning the volume up on them, is not a good idea, and can increase the damage that is already present, making hearing difficult, under "normal" circumstances.  It can also increase the volume of  already permanent "tinnitus" limiting the action even further.

Turn the vol...  What about some sort of induction loop system @shutter , connected to the TVs audio output, which would then feed a signal directly into your hearing aids?

I think they are fitted in some cinemas, council offices, etc.

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN What about it ?  GIve me the money, and I`ll do some research.... it may solve my problem...but won`t help thousands of others with the same hearing loss problem.

No... the simple solution is for broadcasters to provide the service .....

Defective hearing, is another health problem, that can cause isolation. and depression, due to it excluding the sufferer from inter-action with others or the t.v. programmes ( as I can vouch for ) ...

It should not cost a great deal to be incorporated on current pre-recorded programmes or films, as the technology is already available... it just needs to be made available to those who need it ... 

TTman
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 1

@shutter  I have the same problem but probably not as bad. My hearing aid have blue tooth on them and you can get a sender to fit to the tv to send the sound directly to the hearing aids. Not got that so dont know how effective it is and dont know whether it is worth the extra money. Not cheap.

By the way my favorite subtitle was a on a nature program. They were talking about puffins and said it was dangerous to put your hand down a puffin hole,,,,subtitles said it was dangerous to put your hands into a PUB IN HULL!!Funny🤣 

shutter
Community Veteran

@TTman  Pub in Hull.... Of course... who would want to put their hand in a pub in hull ?????    ( Hull residents are exempt from responding ! ! ! )

Yeah... lots of them subtitle gaff`s ... and quite funny too . !

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@shutter 

Having the same problem myself so fully agree with you and I think there are thousands of others who also agree with you, some having contacted the BBC to point this out but with no results.

Considering the number of channels in use I cannot see why a couple of additional channels could not be made available to broadcast the exact same programs but with subtitles added.

There is no doubt that the vast majority of people find their hearing deteriorates as they get older so there is no excuse for broadcasting companies to ignore the problem.

We watch All4 a lot, simply because it includes subtitles, even the English spoken series include subtitles.

There is a facility on our tv to turn on subtitles but it seems limited to a few programs and doesn’t include films.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
shutter
Community Veteran

Perhaps someone should start a petition on the government site or wherever...  if there was enough support on there, it might get discussed in parliament...   ? ? ?   

I`m not on facebook twitter or any other place. so I would not be able to garner any support on those platforms to go to the gov site to add their name to any petition..

idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@shutter I suffer much the same (to a degree) but I tend to watch a lot of stuff on Netflix now. Everything seems to have subtitles in English - even the Far East / Korean films I watch.

What I do find amazing is not only the news but the weather suffers from wrong spelling ec. Hang on though, these are, in the main, already typed up prior to being broadcast. Why isn't there a direct link to the script. And even stranger, in Look North, sometimes the weather subtitles tend to run about 10 seconds or so in front of the presenter. Go figure.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@idonno 

Yes, if Netflix can do it then why not the BBC, after all we pay more in the licence fee that all goes to the BBC than what you would pay for Netflix in a year.

True Netflix does not have the same selection as the BBC such as the news etc but much of these things can be found on the internet.

Another annoyance for me is that to use iplayer on my tv I have to enter a code each time which either means a phone call or logging in to a BBC account to obtain the code....I pay for a (censored) television licence why should I have to faff around to watch iplayer......no code required to watch all4.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Same here with the poor hearing.

Subtitles are also handy when you hear (sort of) but cannot understand what is being said. 

I have a small pair of bluetooth headphones which work rather well and for those with decent enough hearing that do not like or can't cope with subtitles, well you are missing out on some really good films, although having said that I settled down to watch what looked like a really good one on YouTube and they were in Spanish!

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
RobPN
Hero

@shutter wrote:

@RobPN What about it ? 

@shutter 

I wasn't addressing the 'subtitles' issue, just your last paragraph about 'volume' as per my edited quote.

OK, perhaps I missed a word out, so ... "What about trying some sort of induction loop system ... ?" ...      

... it may solve my problem...

It certainly might!  Thumbs_Up

...but won`t help thousands of others with the same hearing loss problem.

Shocked

How do you know?  It could well help many people if they knew about it and were willing to try it (provided it was affordable to them).

I can honestly say if I were in a similar position I'd be very eager and willing to try such a system!

Don't knock it if you haven't tried it!

And if you can hear the dialogue, the subtitles (or lack thereof) are less likely to be an issue.  Wink  Cool

Here's an example of a home system for TV listening   https://www.hear4you.com/hearing-loop-home-tv/

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN  Well, as I said..... Why should I have to pay for something that the broadcast stations can do for freee ? 

They have the technology, as is already showing on "some" channels...  including the BBC and ITV...

RobPN
Hero

@shutter wrote:

... Why should I have to pay for something that the broadcast stations can do for freee ? 

They have the technology, as is already showing on "some" channels...  including the BBC and ITV...

But @shutter , you wouldn't be paying for subtitles, you'd be paying to for not have having to watch subtitles!  Huh

I know I'd rather be able to hear than have to rely on keeping up with text on the screen!

shutter
Community Veteran

@RobPN   I think you are missing the point here.... 

As a "disabled" person....  i.e  disabled hearing... hearing difficulties are part of my life.... I am quite adept at reading subtitles.. and .. indeed. I watch Russian and Spanish and German and French TV drama/films on YouTube.. and use my phones to hear the voices so I know who is speaking...  with the subtitles I can enjoy those.   without any investment in a single use product... In other words... thousands like me, or worse off than me, can also enjoy the same programmes/videos/films...  because the subtitles are embedded...

why should broadcasters not do the same thing... 

You make the point that I would not be paying for subtitles.... true... but I would be paying for NOT having subtitles... HUH  ? ?   why should I have to pay to NOT have something that the some broadcasters are providing free ? ? ? ?   and suffer poor quality voice/sound which I have to pay for...with your system you mentioned....

example... As I already said....  I have hearing aids.... ( before covid confined us to barracks)  used to go out to cafe`s with friends.... all sitting around a table... conversation hum all around...yet I could not hear those friends talking to me, across the table,  ..  Sorry... yes, I could hear them talking... but I could not make out what they were saying.....apart from the odd word. Wouldn`t it be lovely if they had a screen on their clothes, with subtitles !  !    .... ah Bliss  ! ! ! ..

It`s not as simple as it appears to those who are not suffering the problems. i.e. amplify the tv sound and all problems disappear... doesn`t work that way ...... If it was that simple, there would be no need for anyone to provide subtitles on any film or tv programme.   just give out free headsets and wifi  ....

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

What I knew but didn't appreciate until my hearing started deteriorating, is that age-related hearing loss isn't like the volume being turned down.  What happens is that we lose the ability to hear certain frequencies, starting with the higher ones.  The sound becomes less rich and therefore more difficult to understand.  That's probably why so many old people accuse younger people of mumbling.

I often leave the subtitles turned on so that I can double check certain words or sentences but not on live programmes since the delay is too great.  One thing I've noticed is that on C4 and E4 the subtitles for the next part of a programme come up during the last commercial, then synchronises soon after the programme resumes.  Very annoying!  On another channel recently, possibly ITV, the subtitles came up too long after the lines had been said, also annoying.  My hearing is still quite good but someone totally reliant on subtitles might get confused if the subtitles didn't match the actor/presenter on screen.