Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subtitles and sign language.

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Subtitles and sign language.

I'm hard of hearing and often put the subtitles up especially if the sound is a bit muffled, but the one Horizon programme I tried to watch earlier had a guy using sign language - which is fine and to be applauded if you are deaf and can follow it, but rather distracting if you are not. Checked a couple of the others in the series and there was no signing.

Any ideas on how I can bypass it?

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
2 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Subtitles and sign language.

Same here.... I think it is a BBC2 "thing".... on the original programme, it is not there... but when BBC2 show it as a repeat,( say 24 hours later )... then signing is attached.   so really, I suppose,  the answer is to watch the "original" transmission..

As for subtitles.... The news is the worst programme for them... strangely.... the news readers use an "auto prompt"  and are reading the news... why can`t they put that up as subtitles...

Many a time I have switched on to the start of the news, and miss the whole "front page storyline"  as it is not subtitled, until they cross for the "local" news headlines... then when reverting back to the main news.. the storyline is lagging on screen... and you get subtitles for the end of the previous story, whilst the next story is on screen...  to "catch up"... often there is a "Hold" on the subtitles, mid sentence, and then  you miss the whole point of the news item...

goes something like this...." Putin has put his troops on alert and will move them forward unless...................

yesterday they walked out, and the government minister for education is now trying to solve the crisis....."

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Re: Subtitles and sign language.

I did consider that but it's not always possible to watch the "original". Rather puzzled that it was just the one out of the series that had the guy using sign language. BBC news does it sometimes but then if you switch from the dedicated news channel and back to the mainstream transmission it changes.

As for those subtitles they are so out of sync as to be useless unless you are totally deaf and unable to notice. What were I think the automatic ones used to get the words so wrong it was a joy to watch! 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.