cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Substitute Ink Jet Cartridges that do not work.

Pancho
Grafter

Substitute Ink Jet Cartridges that do not work.

I have been helping a lady and we bought some cartridges for her Lexmark X2480 (all-in-one) from an on-line supplier. I have bought from this supplier before and the XPrint (chipped) cartridges work fine in my Canon iP5300 although the quality is not as good as the Canon ones. The printer does not recognise the 'new' cartridge and does not print out the alignment page; there is also a message saying the cartridge is out of ink. The box of the 'new' cartridge says it is for this printer + others.
About a week later I had a call from a person saying he had a computer problem, which turned out to be a printer problem. The person stated it should be fine as he had just put a 'new' cartridge into it that he had bought from Tesco. He had got the same problem as the lady - an XP Test Print would only print a bit of yellow. His printer, also an all-in-one, was a HP but don't remember the Model No. Unfortunately, for him, he had thrown the receipt away so could not take it back.
It may be that both these printers will only work with genuine cartridges. I did read that Lexmark look to see if the cartridge is a Genuine No. 2, which is why the 'new' one does not work.
As we all know the cost of the Lexmark Cartridge (there is only one) is about the same as buying the 'cheap' printer. I have advised the lady to get a Canon printer as it would not be much more that buying a Lexmark No. 2 cartridge.
I left the HP person with an understanding of the problem but the emails to the supplier of the Lexmark one go on and on; we have even been told that we are the problem due to ordering the wrong ones and they will only credit unopened ones. How you find out it does not work without opening it I have no idea. They (two) are back in the post so we wait and see as an 'advisor' will contact us when they arrive - recorded delivery of course.
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Substitute Ink Jet Cartridges that do not work.

I have an Epson all-in-one and only buy genuine Epson cartridges.  I have found a cheap place to buy them and wouldn't take a risk of using a compatible for the difference in price. 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Well I have had no problems with replacement carts for my Canon IP4000 (until the head died after about 5 years of medium use) but always tended to use JetTec ones, Although I have been given a Canon MP190 that had replacement carts in it and it doesn't want to print or says cart empty!
Pancho
Grafter

Yep - may Canon ones work fine as I said.
Lurker
Grafter

I just do my printing at work - its far cheaper...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@ James G.... I do hope you have an "arrangement" to pay for materials used, when you "do my printing at work"  otherwise what you are doing is stealing from your employer !  Shocked
I have a HP Deskjet 5940 and I use "re-manufactured" cartridges, from several on line suppliers, (Depends on who is cheapest/fastes/including delivery costs) whenever I have had a problem with them not being 100% satisfactory, I have emailed the supplier, and arranged for return and replacements.... I usually send a copy of the test prints . Yes, the HP DJ5940 does ask me if I believe I have bought a genuine HP cartridge, and I answer yes, and it gets on with the printing ! ! ..
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
I have an Epson all-in-one and only buy genuine Epson cartridges.  I have found a cheap place to buy them and wouldn't take a risk of using a compatible for the difference in price. 

Out of interest, where's that? I too use an Epson and rely only on genuine cartridges.
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
@ James G.... I do hope you have an "arrangement" to pay for materials used, when you "do my printing at work"  otherwise what you are doing is stealing from your employer !  Shocked

I have an arrangement.
Between 50 and 60hrs per week gets you a fair bit of 'flexibility'. Wink
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

If the cartridge supplier claimed that the cartridges would work with a particular printer and they don't then a refund is due as they are not fit for purpose. See the Sale Of Goods Act.
Not sure what happens if the supplier is outside the UK.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Be3G

Out of interest, where's that? I too use an Epson and rely only on genuine cartridges.

The company I have used in the past is:  http://www.valueshop.co.uk/cartridges-ink.asp
Recently I paid £24 for a full set of 4 cartridges from them and at PC World they were £36.
Sometimes they come shrink wrapped without a box but they are genuine and I've always been pleased with them.
Community Veteran

Thanks – alas, they're no help for my printer. For what it's worth, I tend to find www.oyyy.co.uk are the cheapest for my inks – might be worth you having a look there if you haven't already. Only caveat is that they charge for delivery.
Community Veteran

Thanks Thomas.  They're a little dearer for my cartridges but still much better than PC World.
barky
Grafter

I have an Epson all-in-one and only buy genuine Epson cartridges.  I have found a cheap place to buy them and wouldn't take a risk of using a compatible for the difference in price.  
have an epson all in one as well -- but wouldn't bother wasting money on the genuine cartridges AND would never consider refills either -- I go for the other option brand new compatibles made by jettec -- costs  double the price of refills, are are higher capacity then originals .. but still under £10 for a full set brand new -- never had a problem with them!
Community Veteran

Thanks Thomas.  They're a little dearer for my cartridges but still much better than PC World.

Ah well, worth a try anyway. It's such a pain isn't it? Takes ages to try and find the cheapest shop for certain cartridges, then if you want paper as well you have to start the process all over again. Plus, I don't know about you but Epson have put the RRP of my cartridges up by a significant amount (I reckon 30-40%) over the past couple of years which was not welcome. Angry
Fixes: 125

I've only tried compatible inks once (with an Epson) after doing a fair bit of research (reviews and recommendations) but they still clogged up the heads. Epson were helpful and simply replacing with genuinne ink solved it issue.
Doubt if I would ever try that again.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still