Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Subscription Traps

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Subscription Traps

Not before time, these guys are getting their wings clipped.

I was caught out by an Amazon subscription to Kindle books which was advertised as free. Half to blame I suppose but many of us have been there only to find our accounts have been debited so now I'm uber cautious of anything or anyone that asks for my bank details 'free' or otherwise. Crazy2  

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-39167860

PS. Got a full no quibbles refund from that Amazon hiccup of mine.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
10 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Subscription Traps

I purchased an expensive on-line reference e-book relating to Building Security. It was useful, but when I returned to it to check a detail a couple of years later I discovered the book had disappeared without trace. Amazon referred me to the "publisher", but they'd vanished into the ether. Unusually, I gave up at that point but the experience has made me cautious about buying on-line reference books which are not available as a full download.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Minivanman
Hero

It's an odd thing with those download books as you do not actually 'own' them. You only own access to them for the time they will allow it. A bit like a paid for online library I suppose although I have yet to lose access to any I have bought. 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

But what about the annoying automatic payments for things like insurance renewal etc.

It's tiresome to have to phone up to cancel an automatic payment for the renewal letter you've just received.

Just so you can go online and buy the save thing cheaper with the same company.

Minivanman
Hero

I used to think those direct debit payments and automatic payments were the best thing since sliced bread, but not now, although sometimes you have no other option. It's like having somebody's hand on your trouser pocket all the time even when they are hung over the bottom of the bed!

Handy for up to a point non variables like car tax, but caution needed otherwise. 

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

Minivanman wrote:

... you do not actually 'own' them. You only own access to them for the time they will allow it.

A bit like your operating system; you only own a licence to use it (and only on that one computer).  There is a story that someone, after a talk given by Bill Gates, asked the 'king of Windows' to sign his Windows OS box, but Mr Gates refused, saying, "It isn't yours, you only own the licence to use it."

Minivanman
Hero

I suppose that must extend to everything really, as I only own my home until I snuff it. No wonder the American Indians could not (apparently) get their heads around how anybody could own land and were happy to sell it to those colonists. 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

@Minivanman

Not entirly sure if that is correct, a lot of land was taken from the Indians and at some point the government admitted to that a paid the Indians millions for the land taken, that money remains untouched as the Indians still claim it is their land.

Many Indians were caught and transported to the everglades where they live to this day, selling beads to tourists.

The way the Indians were treated is appaling but you hear little about it.,

Minivanman
Hero

Indeed, but that was a question of shared resources rather than ownership - but an appalling and historical wrong all the same. This following is well worth a read if you've not already, as is 'The Fatal Shore' by Robert Hughes.   

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trail_of_Tears

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Minivanman wrote:

I suppose that must extend to everything really, as I only own my home until I snuff it.

A lot of people thought they would own their own homes until they snuff it, unfortunately for an increasing number of people that thought was misplaced as they ended up in a Rest/Nursing home and their home was either sold to pay for it or a charge put on the property by the local authority, payable when they did snuff it.

Moderator's note by Mike (Mav): Quote fixed.

Minivanman
Hero

Hopefully I have avoided that one by willing 'my' half of the house to my children should I predecease my wife or vis versa. How the local authority is going to be able to sell only half a house in order to pay for any care only time and events will tell.