cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Student Sent to Prison

Community Veteran

Student Sent to Prison

The student who threw a fire extinguisher off a roof during a student demo into tuition fees has been sentenced to 32 months in a young offenders prison.
Demo
The extinguisher fortunately missed anyone on the ground but could have killed if someone had been hit by it.
16 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Student Sent to Prison

Woops just updated your other thread Sad
nadger
Rising Star

@artmo - at least he won't be worrying about tuition fees for quite some time  Smiley
That had to be one of the most irresponsible acts anyone could do and could easily have killed someone.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Lucky he did not kill or injure someone otherwise he might have been looking at 12 years instead of 2.
Community Veteran

Hopefully it may make a few of the other protesters think before they engage in acts of violence in the future.
There was an interview on LBC this morning with a senior police officer and he said other charges will be brought against some of the troublemakers. 
Community Veteran

it's such a shame that the actions of a few determined troublemakers was sufficient to distract attention from the issue at hand.  frankly, were i a prospective student today, i would cynically take the loan with no intention of ever repaying, my government having demonstrated unequivocally the contempt they feel for the common man.
Community Veteran

But it's repaid via income tax isn't it? 
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Not sure if its directly via income tax or whether its arranged automatically by the tax man but yes its something like that. You can't simply not pay it. The only way you can avoid using PAYE is to be self employed but then you'd have to cook the books and if you got caught doing that you're busted and slammed up too.
Basically like motoring and a few other things there is no way to avoid it. The Gov have decided that its their new best way of forcing cash out of people legally.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 5

There is an easy way not to pay it.  Never earn over the threshold.  Shocked  That will show them!  Crazy
Phil
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just shown some more Video of some they want to interview on the BBC News
Community Veteran

Quote from: pjmarsh
There is an easy way not to pay it.   Never earn over the threshold.   Shocked  That will show them!  Crazy
Phil

Bit like cutting your nose off to spite your face Undecided
The loans are due for repayment once a student starts earning above £15,000. I wouldn't want to restrict my salary to this level after earning a degree.
How much you need to earn before repayments start
The repayment threshold for student loans, before deductions, is currently:
   * £15,000 a year
This is equivalent to:
   * £1,250 per month or
   * £288 per week
If your income exceeds these amounts, you will be required to make repayments. In most cases, these repayments are collected automatically through the tax system.
Superuser
Superuser

I was trying to be sarcastic!  Smiley  I have a feeling (though could be totally wrong) that the £15000 is going to be increased (or at least it has been proposed somewhere along the way).  I've been paying my Student loan off like that for just over 8 years, and am nearly at the end.  I've not really missed it, as it's out of my salary before it gets anywhere near me, and as it's been taken since I started work, I've never known anything different.  It will be a nice bonus when I stop paying it though!
Phil
Community Veteran

Sorry Phil missed your humour Sad  I think you are right about a new threshold.  In the recent debate in Parliament I seem to recall a figure of £22k being mentioned.
Superuser
Superuser

That rings a bell, but I wasn't confident enough with it to say!  I can remember one of my mates at uni saying he was going to not earn enough so he didn't have to pay off his student loan (it threshold was £10000 in those days).  Oh how we laughed!!!  Grin
Phil
pierre_pierre
Grafter

The police have released this video of one of the people who threw fire bombs
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12180191