Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stubborn tap, advice needed !

rja66
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Stubborn tap, advice needed !

The kitchen tap (a Franke) has been dripping for a few weeks now and so I decided changing the washer would be one of this morning jobs. 3 hours later and I still can't shift the brass valve from the tap housing. I've been applying WD40 liberally all morning to try and free it up but no joy so far. It is a tall tap and difficult to grip to apply any leverage when using the wrench on the valve, all I succeed in doing is turning the base of the tap unit on the sink. It's been in place for approx 14 years.
Has anyone any tips on how to shift one of these?
17 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Stubborn tap, advice needed !

Make or get something to slip over the spout to get extra leverage!
And, prepare for a cock-up by buying replacement taps before you start!
Geoff,
York.
rja66
Rising Star

The spout is one of the tall type that swings across two sinks so is virtually impossible to grip
Community Veteran

Ahhh! Have you tried a strap wrench around the body?
Geoff,
York.
rja66
Rising Star

Update: Old fashioned brute force shifted it in the end, maybe the penetrating oil finally worked I'm not really sure. Problem now is the washer looks fine and I was expecting it to have disintegrated. Cleaned it up and popped it back in and it seems a little better. Think a replacement valve may be required instead.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Get hold of a tap seating tool <quite cheap from Homebase and the like> and clean up the seating where the washer fits onto, it could just be coated with lime scale. A lot cheaper than replacements taps etc.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I'll second that, and change the washer anyway!
Geoff,
York.
rja66
Rising Star

Yeah, I was thinking about getting a seating tool, thanks for the advice. Looking at the valve it doesn't appear I can change the washer anyway as it doesn't have a screw or nut to retain it. Probably a 'Franke' ploy to get you to change the whole valve.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Parts for many models available here: http://www.central-servicesuk.co.uk/shop/section.php?xSec=4&jssCart=43c51b4d2682a840e8e5a66635aa9af8
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: rja66
I've been applying WD40 liberally all morning

You realise that there is a reason that the water companies are not allowed to use that stuff on the domestic water supply don't you? - They have seized nuts and bolts all the time underground but they're not allowed to use anything that may pollute the water supply.
Unfortunately you'll now probably have the stuff inside your taps and it doesn't wash away easily and as it's so thin it can hang around for a long time while seeping into the water again. Let the thing run for at least 10 minutes before drinking from it and even then you should fill a glass of water and see if a coloured film settles on the top of the water before drinking it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shalom2010
Grafter

@Sprite I think the OP is now going to have nightmares Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

lol
No need for that but I wouldn't want them to go drinking from it too quickly if I was able to warn them first! Mt old mate has a pal that works for the waterboard and they're not allowed to use anything that could pollute the water supply - things like WD40 for instance.
We had to do the bathroom taps a while back and they were really stubborn too. My missus wanted the WD40 but I refused and got out the vortex socket set instead which instantly got the valves out. I must admit though taps are a pain in the grass.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
shalom2010
Grafter

So that's why the plumber charges so much to change a washer!
Community Veteran

I take the easy way out and call my friendly neighbourhood plumber Wink
rja66
Rising Star

Quote from: Sprite
You realise that there is a reason that the water companies are not allowed to use that stuff on the domestic water supply don't you? - They have seized nuts and bolts all the time underground but they're not allowed to use anything that may pollute the water supply.

Considering the valve was so tight I doubt any WD40 could seriously of entered the water supply anyway, especially as water poured out as soon as the valve was released and the water was flowing out of the tap at full mains pressure when the supply was re-connected.
I suspect it would be different if working on underground pipes as if any did seep in it would then be directly in the mains supply, even then it would be so diluted I doubt it would cause any issues, of course used all the time on every pipe might be different, but I understand the caution.
Anyway I've had my stomach pumped this afternoon as a precaution  !  Cheesy