cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stringing along

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Stringing along

To continue the occasional stringed instrument threads we have here. Does anybody remember the Russian Red Army Ensemble that toured here some years ago? It featured a virtuoso of the three stringed Balalaika who solo'd with a superb rendition of what we know as "Midnight in Moscow" and others. Indeed I saw them at the Royal Festival Hall (or it may have been the Albert Hall, I've forgotten which) a truly wonderful musical experience. One of Russia's better exports.
Does anybody know if they still perform, or if any recordings are available?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Stringing along

Just found this on Youtube.

Community Veteran

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Or there's always this if you fancy putting your feet up of an afternoon!

alanb
Grafter

Look out for a film/DVD called Total Balalaika Show. It is a documentary of a spoof rock band called the 'Leningrad Cowboys' in concert with the Alexandrov Red Army Choir.
The Leningrad Coyboys (who are supposed to be the worst rock band in the world) were created by the Finnish film director Aki Kaurismaki for a couple of his earlier films, but they are real musicians, and the concert did actually happen in Helsinki in 1993. The band ham things up most of the time, however the choir plays it totally straight, and sing or play their instruments with absolute competence, to the point where the band sometimes seems to be so in awe they stop playing their own instruments to listen to choir.
The DVD is absolutely brilliant, though anybody that really likes traditional Russian music might think it is absolutely awful. I love it, I reckon that you haven't lived until you hear the Alexandrov Red Army Choir singing the Allman Brothers' song Sweet Home Alabama.