cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strikes

Community Veteran
Posts: 7,912
Thanks: 594
Fixes: 8
Registered: 02-08-2007

Strikes

Seems that teachers will be having a day of protest on Thursday regarding pay & conditions and other groups of public sector workers have similar plans in mind.
The Conservatives have said that if they get in power strikes in the public sector would be banned but would this work or would it lead to even more problems ? The sight of strikers being jailed might well lead to some degree of public sympathy.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: Strikes

Quote from: gleneagles
The Conservatives have said that if they get in power strikes in the public sector would be banned

They haven't said this and it is not something they can do. I assume you read this in the Daily Mail?
They are considering tougher rules on ballots, where there has to be a minimum turnout of members for strike action to be legal. Most public sector strike ballots do not achieve the support of more than 50% of the workforce, but this is because most people do not respond to the ballot.
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,912
Thanks: 594
Fixes: 8
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: Strikes

I Stand corrected, what you say is correct.
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: Strikes

In theory though, their proposed plan would have the effect of stopping public sector strikes because of the normal ballot turnout percentages.
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Posts: 4,906
Thanks: 179
Fixes: 4
Registered: 04-04-2007

Re: Strikes

Quote from: AndyH
They are considering tougher rules on ballots, where there has to be a minimum turnout of members for strike action to be legal. Most public sector strike ballots do not achieve the support of more than 50% of the workforce, but this is because most people do not respond to the ballot.

If they do it, they should link that % to the % voter turnout in the general election.  That would be fairer......
WTF
Grafter
Posts: 673
Thanks: 1
Registered: 14-09-2012

Re: Strikes

A win-win for the Tories as it's a disincentive for union members to vote in the general election  Grin
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: Strikes

Quote from: Kelly
If they do it, they should link that % to the % voter turnout in the general election.  That would be fairer......

It's not really an issue though as the Tories are very unlikely to win the next election Cheesy
St3
All Star
Posts: 2,404
Thanks: 389
Fixes: 2
Registered: 13-07-2012

Re: Strikes

vote labour Wink
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,149
Thanks: 51
Fixes: 2
Registered: 30-08-2007

Re: Strikes

What is wrong is that strikes can be called that interfere with the general public in a  huge way by a minority of union membership. See the London Underground stoppages for a case in point. So far what have they achieved?
Maybe votes by union members on disruptive strike issues should be made compulsory.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Posts: 7,912
Thanks: 594
Fixes: 8
Registered: 02-08-2007

Re: Strikes

Quote from: ukste20
vote labour Wink
When you look at the things politicians of all parties have done both in the past and at the present time it's a wonder anybody bothers to vote at all, despite their record millions still vote for them.
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17,250
Thanks: 904
Fixes: 104
Registered: 11-01-2008

Re: Strikes

a lot of teachers are in unions for the protection it offers from what I can gather and aren't interested in the militancy side and don't want to lose a days pay.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Posts: 18,545
Thanks: 191
Registered: 12-08-2007

Re: Strikes

This strike does not involve all teachers. It is just one union that is calling its members out.
nanotm
Pro
Posts: 5,671
Thanks: 108
Fixes: 1
Registered: 11-02-2013

Re: Strikes

it makes no difference which union calls for a strike, the fact of the matter is they could easily text all there members a yes/no message or have them all log in and vote online if not present at some local meeting point, with the technology available today there is no excuse for using a ballot of less than 1% of your membership to call out strike action on the remaining 99% (which has been done in the past even if not this particular time).
as to being union members for protection and not loosing a days pay, there union dues equate to a lot more than 1 days pay each year so there paying for the privilege of loosing a days pay .....
and that's all totally ignoring the fact that they fine parents £50 if the child doesn't show up to school for a day (more if its a repeat offence) because "everyday is precious" yet think nothing of having multiple strike days that adversely affect the children and the parents.....
never mind any unruliness (which doesn't seem to have happened much since the miners strikes) the strike's are effectively holding employers to ransom until you get what you want (except it would be funny if more did what grangemouth did and just say sod it your all sacked were closing down)
this sort of behaviour doesn't belong in modern society unless there is a serious safety issue in the workplace, complaints over pay terms or pension terms are something for boardrooms or courtrooms not for placard wavers to be demanding ever increasing packages for doing the same or less year on year particularly when they already get inflation linked rises year on year and are already better off with a secure job than a lot of other people! 
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,824
Registered: 27-10-2012

Re: Strikes

Quote from: nanotm
it makes no difference which union calls for a strike, the fact of the matter is they could easily text all there members a yes/no message or have them all log in and vote online if not present at some local meeting point, with the technology available today there is no excuse for using a ballot of less than 1% of your membership to call out strike action on the remaining 99% (which has been done in the past even if not this particular time).

For strike action by a union to be legal, it has to follow strict rules and procedures - http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1992/52/part/V/crossheading/requirement-of-ballot-before-action-...
The ballot must be a postal ballot.
Quote from: nanotm
as to being union members for protection and not loosing a days pay, there union dues equate to a lot more than 1 days pay each year so there paying for the privilege of loosing a days pay .....

Again, not correct.
Most trade union fees equal around one day's pay. It's a tax deductible expense, so the actual cost is further reduced.
Edit: I should add, that I think one of the main benefits of being a trade union member, is that advice and legal support you get in the event of an employment dispute, discrimination at work etc. Trade unions do stand up for their members and there have been many positive examples of this.
Roberto0151
Grafter
Posts: 241
Registered: 18-05-2010

Re: Strikes

Quote from: ukste20
vote labour Wink

What, risk getting Mr. and Mrs Balls on the government front bench?  No way!
Normally I always take every opportunity to vote, just as a matter of principal, but I think next time I shall probably abstain as the whole lot seem totally hopeless at the moment  Angry