Did you mean: 

Stress

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Stress

@Jonpe 

"...and there will be a day called International School Refusal Day"

Does that mean the parents (or grandparents in my case) will not have to attend either! 

All complete bonkers of course. :crazy2:

ffox
Pro

@Minivanman wrote:

@Jonpe 

Does that mean the parents (or grandparents in my case) will not have to attend either! 

All complete bonkers of course. :crazy2:

At last you admit it!  Have you contacted Mind Cymru? :laugh:

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@ffox 

"At last you admit it!  Have you contacted Mind Cymru"

I'm sure they will be delighted to learn that you think their clients are bonkers. :huh:

Minesapint
Pro

TO answer the OP, it has to be at least partly due to younger people living their lives online, always being "connected" and also possibly due to being younger, they lack cynicism as the what they read online.

The sky has, apparently, been falling in for long before anyone alive today was worried about it. My grandmother, who was born in the latter part of the 19thC told me that even when she was a girl, there were dire forecast about disasters, both man made and natural. A favourite was that the Russians would invade us from what I remember.

Now if people living 120-ish years ago, in a rural Midlands place, with no telephones for most people, very few (if any) cars, no radio or TV, and very bad 5G reception, were worried about bad stuff happening, what hope have we got today when we're bombarded with bad news 24/7?

I like the internet. I've had a great deal of fun from it one way and another, and indeed make part of my living by means of it, but I walk away from it as well.

I don't have a smart phone, don't use FB very much, use Twitter rarely, and generally treat most of what I read online as being opinion, and eat it with a long handled spoon.

I can remember as a teenager the simple joy of going off for a day on my motorbike. Nobody knew where I was, who I was, and I wasn't worried about anything much. Whether the bike was using more oil perhaps!

When I stopped for a look around, I didn't furiously burrow into my jacket pocket to find my phone to see if someone had liked an earlier FB post or something. I still don't when I go out.

You go looking for stress and it'll find you. Too much media of any sort, FB, and for that matter forums, and it's there waiting.

As my OH says "Give your brain a rest"

wotsup
Champion

The information overload caused by internet and smart phones is in no small way to blame for 'perceived stress' people suffer from nowadays,  even with welfare state and no real worries about starving to death etc. a lot of people will find something to worry about.  Maybe not being allowed to fail at school ( or anything ) any more has weakened peoples resistance to stress -  because lets face it most people learn more from failure than from constant ( perceived ) success.

There is a very true saying that        'a man* who never made a mistake probably never made anything'

( note *  if you want to be PC you can substitute woman, transgender, lesbian etc. for man )

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

"A person who never.... " would have done there @wotsup :thumbsup:

Me, I refuse to buy into or apologise for not using the right pronoun after all, I was here first and if the new generation want to ponce about with the language between themselves and even into the future, then fine by me.

I'll be long gone.

And a life without stress would be no life at all, it's 'what we need feed' and sure it gets on top of some folks, but some of it?

*shakes head* 

Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

Saw a program on tv the other night about a couple of young men who managed to escape from Auschwitz. They gave details of what was going on there and those reports were passed to various officials, with up to 11,000 people being killed every day the general view was the camps and railways should be bombed.

It did not happen as men and military hardware was needed to drive German forces back and there was concern Hitler might use it as propaganda.

The point is, imagine the stress those men must have been under to know whatever decision they made would cost the lives of thousands of innocent people......Few things can be more stressful than that.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Would they have been stressed though?

That's not to say there did not care but from what I recall (and I did not watch it) Churchill got round this by refusing the believe these camps even existed. You have to pretty hard nosed to take these sorts of decisions and like bomber Harris I doubt if they even gave it a second thought other than one of expediency.

Might try and find time later to watch it although I tend to avoid those sort of programs. Was it the one that was on last night?

Minesapint
Pro

At least part of the trouble is the mental equivalent of "The Devil finds work for idle hands"

If you really have little to worry about, your mind will find something, and blow the smallest thing up into a crisis.

I quite seriously think that the vast majority of people have never had it so good in this country.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Worry about nothing as my old Mum used to say... along with "have you actually had a wash today" and "when did you last change your underpants?"

:2funny:

Minesapint
Pro

Mums were all the same back then Minivanman.

They all had that inbuilt mothering instinct!

One mate's mum would always try to feed us.

"I'm OK thanks Mrs X. I had something at home"

"Ah well just have a sandwich then"

I was as thin as a rake then though, despite my own mum's best efforts!

RobPN
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 4

For a reduced-stress life there's always the mantra DILLIGAF.  :wink:

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

A consultant psychiatrist told a story once about a patient who was referred to him for stress.  The patient said that the stress was brought about by his job.  The doctor naturally asked what his job was, expecting to find that the man was some high-flying businessman with tight deadlines and targets to meet.  "I work at a greengrocer's" the patient said.  In the psychiatrist's mind this didn't seem very high on the list of stressful occupations, so he asked for more details.  "Well," said the patient, "I have to separate the large apples/potatoes etc. from the small apples/potatoes etc. and it's very difficult to get this absolutely right and it's very stressful."

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Stress is good, but needs to know it's place.