cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Street Lighting

Community Veteran

Street Lighting

In Essex all street lighting is being switched off at night between midnight and 5am to save £1m a year in costs. There are some exceptions where switching off the lights could be hazardous.
A device has been fitted to all lights in the county which allows them to be controlled remotely.
It will be interesting to see how this works as we've been used to all night lighting up until now.  Is this done in any other parts of the country?
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Street Lighting

Dunno...usually asleep at that time of night....
( actually, our street lighting has been changed.... the new lampstandards have been placed further away from the curb, ( road safety/accident hazard).... and the light heads now give a very bright white light, and the streets look like they are lit by bright moonlight... !... )...
Our street lights are on all night.. ! ( says my xyl)..
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Yeah it happens sometimes in my area but I've also been on stretches of the motorways at night when they've done it there too. It doesn't really worry me to be honest. Perhaps it will bring some form of normality back to the UK.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 47

A lot of street lights in our area were off 24 hours of the day.
I reported it and they came and fixed the problem.
Then for a few weeks they were on 24 hours a day.
I reported it again and they are now working correctly.
All street lighting in Sheffield is being replaced with new high efficiency low light pollution units so maybe when this is finished the savings achieved by switching some off late at night will be small enough to be reconsidered.
I haven't seen it applied anywhere in the city currently.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

One side effect of the new technology is that a faulty street light can be identified by the central control unit and repaired much quicker than at present.
TORPC
Grafter

Some hacker could potentially turn them off remotely for their cronies to get up to no good
On a more serious note:
This new street light technology, will it possibly cause broadband REIN ?Huh
anniesboy
Grafter

Im one of the lucky few, in my village we have no street lighting at all.
Its amazing you can see stars ,well you can when there is no cloud cover.
My wife and are just on the way out for a meal with friends,with no pavements a decent torch is needed.
Some of the younger generation would like street lights but many like myself do not.
Devonian
Grafter

It's been done in the whole of Torbay for 3 years now.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-12577312
They started by just switching off the lights in quieter areas, now they switch off the lot at midnight.
The only exceptions are a couple of busy junctions, where they leave on a light, and at pedestrian crossings.
Last months news letter from Torbay Police actually mentioned the drop in crime during the lights off hours.
When it's done in your area, you will be amazed by how many more stars you can see in the sky!
TORPC
Grafter

They tried that in a few problem areas around here, unfortunately it made matters worse and the lights went back on
Devonian
Grafter

LOL oops!
Community Veteran

Quote from: TORPC
Some hacker could potentially turn them off remotely for their cronies to get up to no good

Two areas of the county have been trialling the scheme since 2007 and the Police report no increase in crime during this time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: Devonian
When it's done in your area, you will be amazed by how many more stars you can see in the sky!

I wont, I used to live in the middle of nowhere and could see the stars very clearly - even the odd satellite on a very clear night (though very rarely). Moving back to an area with street lights was a bit of a shock..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Devonian
Grafter

My family home is in the middle of Dartmoor, not a neighbour for 3/4 mile, let alone street lights.
On a clear night, it's nearly as bright as day light with all the stars, it's amazing.
Where I live isn't in the middle of town, so it's not brightly lit in the evenings, but the glare still kills half the starlight.
TORPC
Grafter

Quote from: artmo
Quote from: TORPC

Two areas of the county have been trialling the scheme since 2007 and the Police report no increase in crime during this time.

Thats just 1 County
The word potentially in the context I meant is = to
Capable of being but not yet in existence; latent: a potential problem.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Have no street lights within 3 miles of our home.................