cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Streaming Media Player Advice

Fixes: 47

Streaming Media Player Advice

Up until recently I haven't really had the need for a dedicated streaming media player.
However things change and I am now looking for one and top of my list at the moment is this one from Western Digital which gets lots of good review.
Any suggestions for an alternative in a similar price range gratefully received bearing in mind it needs to play as many different formats as possible and output 1080p.
It's a relatively new area for me I'm delving into so all help and advice appreciated.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
9 REPLIES
pnf
Grafter

Re: Streaming Media Player Advice

The following links might be of help regarding UPnP and DLNA.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_UPnP_AV_media_servers_and_clients
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UPnP
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DLNA
Note that the WD TV Live Streaming Media Player is not DLNA compliant and therefore I believe it can only stream over a PC or MAC network.
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/homeentertainment/mediaplayers/
I am a bit of a novice on this too, but got to know some things when attempting to stream media from my TG582n router to an iPod Touch.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

It depends on a few things:-
1. your network connection wifi or wired
2. your content hd or sd or mixed
3. where your media is
1. wired is to be preferred if you want to stream to 1080p  You need a network streaming rate of about 20-40MBs so 100Mb networking required.
2. for sd/mixed content you want something that will upscale nicely, For hd see 1
3. ideally you want it either locally on the box or streamed from a server/nas box
For years I used an xbox 1 with xbmc streaming from a pc share with no problems - sd only though. Then I bought a Sumvision MKV great little box but a bit old now (I've has mine for about 4 years now) although Maplin were selling them, this will play virtually anything thrown at it, However if you want iplayer/itvplayer etc don't get it.
You options on 3 are put stuff on a hdd and plug it into the media player - this negates 1 as it is local, leave your pc on with the stuff in a share/use dlna/M$ media server/why to serve the content, or get a cheap nas box that does it.
There are lots of Android tv units coming on the market now that will play hd content, but watch for upscaling some don't very well.

@pnf good point about the DLNA compatibility. I might have to raise my sights a little.
@Hairy Biker
I have wired available to connect the box.
A mix of SD and HD.
If I go with my revised option (see above) the media will be onboard.
BryanP
Grafter

I would think hard and fast - Do you really need one
I though I did and bought an LG box and was so disappointed, fortunately for me the box broke after about 6 weeks and I could'nt get any sound out of it, I took it back to the place I bought it from who did'nt have another in stock, they offerered my money back and I jumped at it.
One thing I do miss about it was BBC I player and HD. the rest was not very good
I've replaced it by an old laptop I had and so I can now get all the streaming I want but only on PC RGB vision and sound quality which is not great but OK

Quote from: BryanP
I would think hard and fast - Do you really need one

I'm not very good at that I'm afraid Embarrassed I'm currently reading the manual for the WD TV Live Hub which isn't a good sign.
It's the convenience of having all my media in one place and easily output to TV or Home Cinema with a small portion of geek thrown in the mix. Plus the ability to play most video files to my TV most of which it natively fails to recognise.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

You could also look at a blu-ray player some of them have dlna clients built in.

Thanks HB but I spotted a deal on Amazon for the WD Live Hub this morning and did a 'one click' buy. Embarrassed
I will see how this goes when it arrives.

Well my WD TV Live Hub has arrived and is connected up.
It announced a firmware update was available which I let it install....which failed.
I repeated the process and it seemed to work.
It asked me to register the device online which I did...failed...but an email arrived thanking me for registering Undecided
When my grandson leaves this evening I will have a go at configuring it and loading it with media.
If anyone has had personal experience with this device your comments would be appreciated.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
You could also look at a blu-ray player ...

Yep agreed, for many people this is a good option and fulfills most streaming TV needs. And you get a Bluray player into the deal for about the same money as some of those media players.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed