cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange things I/we think about

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Strange things I/we think about

While out walking the dog this morning, I got to cogitating on why I think in different ways.

I.e for distance I measure in feet/miles, for fuel I measure in gallons, but for other liquids I measure in (m)L.

So anybody else like this? I blame the education system, started me on imperial then switched to metric early on.

Mind you I still can't get my head round large distance measurements, like rods/furlongs etc.

51 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Strange things I/we think about

Yeah... I often wonder why, when you go to B&Q and timber merchants and ask them for some 2" x 2" deal they will only supply it in multiples of  "metre" lengths...

and if I want to replace the kitchen uints, they come in mm sizes  not feet and inches, as the kitche was built. !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

HairyMcbiker wrote:

I.e for distance I measure in feet/miles, for fuel I measure in gallons, but for other liquids I measure in (m)L.

well that's not really a like-for-like comparson though, as feet/miles is a measure of distance and gallons is a measure of volume.

however, car industry does tend to use miles/gallon rather than miles/litre in the UK.
in europe do they use km/litre?

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 62

I do this with the price tag of expensive things - I measure them in terms of second hand cars (not very good ones though). For example, I look at high end PC hardware like a graphics card and think to myself... "£600 for a graphics card? Thats at least 1 second hand car!"

The advantages of thinking this way stops me from actually buying something as expensive as that and settling for something that costs less than a second hand car.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

beeceegee
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Untl 2005 in Ireland speed limits were in mph, but distance signs were in km

Community Veteran

HairyMcbiker wrote:

well that's not really a like-for-like comparson though, as feet/miles is a measure of distance and gallons is a measure of volume.

Well I did say fuel in gallons and liquids in L after it. Meaning mixed imperial and metric units.

When I lived in Biggin Hill (over 25 years ago) one of our neighbours used to measure her fuel in miles/L, used to cause me to have to think on changing it to compare for her. (from mpg/mpl). At the time I was working a lot in Eu so was used to buying fuel in L anyway (in what ever currency I was using that moment, could be French in the morning and German or Swiss in the afternoon, dependant on my visit route)

Community Veteran

fuel is a liquid though :p
what about milk? that's a liquid do you use gallons or litres for that?

we also buy fuel in litres in the UK?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

Can’t this be put down to nothing more than convenience, in that you’ll calculate or think about things like this in a default manner that your brain finds the easiest.

Community Veteran

for me, distance is miles (for really long distances), yards (for some distances) and feet (for short distances) solely because i drive and played golf.

however, for small measurements it'll be centimetres.
Community Veteran

I may BUY fuel by the L, but I still convert the cost to £/Gal (rather than Gal/£ as it was when I started buying petrol for my bike, in fact I believe it was actually cheaper by the gallon then than a L is now)
E.g. at the moment it is £5.31/gallon.
As to milk I use L, same as for water, as I said the ONLY thing I use gallons for is fuel. I brew in L, serve it from a 5Gal (US) container ;-)
Small distances only when you get down to under an inch will I switch to mm.

@Mook maybe, but my wife doesn't like using grams she prefers oz and is always asking to convert.
Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Feet, inches, and gallons for me and afraid to use metric in case I get it wrong.

Blue passports, and a return to imperial for all units of measurements as this mix and match palaver is just plain bonkers. The EU has a lot to answer for. We gave them and inch and they gave us, well whatever an inch is now!  

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Fixes: 125

chenks76 wrote:
what about milk? that's a liquid do you use gallons or litres for that?

I buy my milk in pints - 1.76 pints to be more exactCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

chenks76 wrote:

in europe do they use km/litre?

Litres per 100 Kilometres, or L/100KM, where the lower the number, the more economical the vehicle is...

Community Veteran

I've never understood this 0-62mph for a cars acceleration.

I mean I understand the 62 bit it just doesn't make sense not estimating / converting to a proper recognised 60mph.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

62mph is a few decimal places short of 100KM/h (62mph=99.779328KM/h), so it's just 0-100KM/h written in imperial measures...