cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange things I/we think about

Community Veteran
Fixes: 20

Strange things I/we think about

While out walking the dog this morning, I got to cogitating on why I think in different ways.

I.e for distance I measure in feet/miles, for fuel I measure in gallons, but for other liquids I measure in (m)L.

So anybody else like this? I blame the education system, started me on imperial then switched to metric early on.

Mind you I still can't get my head round large distance measurements, like rods/furlongs etc.

51 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 18

Re: Strange things I/we think about

Yeah... I often wonder why, when you go to B&Q and timber merchants and ask them for some 2" x 2" deal they will only supply it in multiples of  "metre" lengths...

and if I want to replace the kitchen uints, they come in mm sizes  not feet and inches, as the kitche was built. !

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

HairyMcbiker wrote:

I.e for distance I measure in feet/miles, for fuel I measure in gallons, but for other liquids I measure in (m)L.

well that's not really a like-for-like comparson though, as feet/miles is a measure of distance and gallons is a measure of volume.

however, car industry does tend to use miles/gallon rather than miles/litre in the UK.
in europe do they use km/litre?

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 71

I do this with the price tag of expensive things - I measure them in terms of second hand cars (not very good ones though). For example, I look at high end PC hardware like a graphics card and think to myself... "£600 for a graphics card? Thats at least 1 second hand car!"

The advantages of thinking this way stops me from actually buying something as expensive as that and settling for something that costs less than a second hand car.

Frontend Web Developer | www.plus.net

If you have an idea to improve the community, create a new topic on our Community Feedback board to start a discussion about your idea.

beeceegee
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Untl 2005 in Ireland speed limits were in mph, but distance signs were in km

Community Veteran

HairyMcbiker wrote:

well that's not really a like-for-like comparson though, as feet/miles is a measure of distance and gallons is a measure of volume.

Well I did say fuel in gallons and liquids in L after it. Meaning mixed imperial and metric units.

When I lived in Biggin Hill (over 25 years ago) one of our neighbours used to measure her fuel in miles/L, used to cause me to have to think on changing it to compare for her. (from mpg/mpl). At the time I was working a lot in Eu so was used to buying fuel in L anyway (in what ever currency I was using that moment, could be French in the morning and German or Swiss in the afternoon, dependant on my visit route)

Community Veteran

fuel is a liquid though :p
what about milk? that's a liquid do you use gallons or litres for that?

we also buy fuel in litres in the UK?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 31

Can’t this be put down to nothing more than convenience, in that you’ll calculate or think about things like this in a default manner that your brain finds the easiest.

Community Veteran

for me, distance is miles (for really long distances), yards (for some distances) and feet (for short distances) solely because i drive and played golf.

however, for small measurements it'll be centimetres.
Community Veteran

I may BUY fuel by the L, but I still convert the cost to £/Gal (rather than Gal/£ as it was when I started buying petrol for my bike, in fact I believe it was actually cheaper by the gallon then than a L is now)
E.g. at the moment it is £5.31/gallon.
As to milk I use L, same as for water, as I said the ONLY thing I use gallons for is fuel. I brew in L, serve it from a 5Gal (US) container ;-)
Small distances only when you get down to under an inch will I switch to mm.

@Mook maybe, but my wife doesn't like using grams she prefers oz and is always asking to convert.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

Feet, inches, and gallons for me and afraid to use metric in case I get it wrong.

Blue passports, and a return to imperial for all units of measurements as this mix and match palaver is just plain bonkers. The EU has a lot to answer for. We gave them and inch and they gave us, well whatever an inch is now!  

I know where I am, I've been lost here before.
Fixes: 196

chenks76 wrote:
what about milk? that's a liquid do you use gallons or litres for that?

I buy my milk in pints - 1.76 pints to be more exactCheesy

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

chenks76 wrote:

in europe do they use km/litre?

Litres per 100 Kilometres, or L/100KM, where the lower the number, the more economical the vehicle is...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've never understood this 0-62mph for a cars acceleration.

I mean I understand the 62 bit it just doesn't make sense not estimating / converting to a proper recognised 60mph.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

62mph is a few decimal places short of 100KM/h (62mph=99.779328KM/h), so it's just 0-100KM/h written in imperial measures...