Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange rules around here

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Strange rules around here

@RobPN

Just don't use the acronym HWMBO, otherwise you'll have the feminist Gestapo on your tail as well! Wink

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

For those those of you who like myself rather enjoy the satire and irreverence of Private Eye, it might be worth pointing out here that words that upset some from a certain quarter still find a home (thankfully) in contemporary usage.

The current edition for example which I have just about finished reading has amongst others a light-hearted article about Syria under the heading The Rev.J.C.Flannel (Corbyn of course) where reference is made to a Major-General Basher al-Bombah and health minister Imad al-Khillah.

Nothing wrong with any of that some might think - well neither do I. 

Free press, free thought, free expression and the right to offend the 'oh so easily offended'. Thumbs_Up

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Hero
Fixes: 30

@happihijabi wrote:

...racist made up place names...

Really? It's called humorous wordplay.

calling the author of the racist post out

By calling him a tosser? Now that is insulting. 

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman wrote:

Just don't use the acronym HWMBO, otherwise you'll have the feminist Gestapo on your tail ...

Ah yes, I remember that particular fiasco!

Hero

@Minivanman wrote:

For those those of you who like myself rather enjoy the satire and irreverence of Private Eye, it might be worth pointing out here that words that upset some from a certain quarter still find a home (thankfully) in contemporary usage.

I used to read/collect Private Eye years ago but didn't have space to keep them when I moved so had to dispose of them.

One particular issue which sticks in my mind is the 'Simmerland' (sic) edition ...

Grafter

@Minivanman wrote:

An article from twenty years ago and you accuse me of digging, really? Funny

Yep. Some people realised 20 years ago that what you wrote was racist, but you don't seem to have caught up...

Grafter

@RobPN @Minivanman

You two obviously have some private joke going on between you. I assume it is at my expense, but apart from that I have no idea what you are on about.

Maybe you should get a room together so you can carry on in private.

Hero

@happihijabi wrote:

@RobPN @Minivanman

You two obviously have some private joke going on between you.

Seriously, there's no joke.

@happihijabi wrote:

Maybe you should get a room together so you can carry on in private.

No need for a room thanks, how can you be sure we're not the same person using two different forum identities?

Hero
Fixes: 30

There is no private joke, and no one is having a go at you.

This is a very friendly and inclusive forum, and no one is intentionally out to cause offence.

We're maybe just a little jumpy and nervous at the moment, as in recent years the forum has been severely disrupted on two or three occasions when a new member has seemingly been determined to take deep offence at the slightest thing.

Incidentally, SWMBO means She Who Must Be Obeyed, an affectionate term of endearment for one's wife.

Who Flung Dung is an Australian biological fertiliser. Granted, it was a bad error of judgement to use it in a school exam, but that does not make it inherently racist or offensive.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Fixes: 423

Moderator's note:

Post removed and thread locked as, once again, it was becoming a vehicle for pointless insults to be banded about.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still