cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange phone calls

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strange phone calls

We get quite a lot of threads here about odd phone calls, anyone else experienced this one.
Every day for about a week, twice a day the land-line will ring; the screen will say "International (out of area)" I used to answer these (expecting maybe a call from our daughter in New Zealand) on answering the line goes dead. checking back in the call log doesn't even show the call let alone the cli.
As I said this will happen twice daily for about a week or so (fortunately not overnight) then will stop for a month before restarting for another week.
When I pick up the phone and see the information on screen  I now simply press the red-button without answering, unfortunately Mrs P presses the green button without looking at the screen when she answers.
My concern is that this is some sort of charge scam where we are charged simply by answering the call, if left to its own devices the call will go to the answering machine and remain open for sometime if nobody is home or doesn't deal with the call immediately.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
8 REPLIES
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Re: Strange phone calls

Can't offer any clue about the nature of the calls, except to speculate that they're machine generated.  Undecided
The good news, though, is that there's no way you'll be charged for an incoming call.  Smiley
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Do you have a VOIP  (Internet) phone or just a normal land line phone?  One of my phones is VOIP (through sipgate.co.uk) and it is not unusual to have hackers poking around and causing the phone to ring.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Quote from: 4C
The good news, though, is that there's no way you'll be charged for an incoming call.   Smiley

It could be a different story if you press any of the buttons on your phone Wink
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

Nope - press any buttons you like - if you're on an incoming call you can't be charged.
The only exception is if you press the 'Recall' button, get dial tone, and make a separate call.
Not young enough to know everything
Community Veteran

Some time ago it was reported that scammers would attempt to get you to press a button on the phone and it redirected you to a premium call line.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

A oft repeated myth I think. Though there is a scam involving allowing someone to route expensive calls through a company switchboard.
http://www.snopes.com/fraud/telephone/jailcall.asp
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: AlaricAdair
Do you have a VOIP  (Internet) phone or just a normal land line phone?   One of my phones is VOIP (through sipgate.co.uk) and it is not unusual to have hackers poking around and causing the phone to ring.

Thanks all for your comments. Especially those about the "myth" of being charged for incoming calls.
@AlaricAdair, no, I'm not using a VOIP phone, just an ordinary BT line.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks alanf. I think this is what I was trying to recall.