cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange phone call. scam?

Porksley
Dabbler

Strange phone call. scam?

I've just had a strange phone call. An automated message from someone purporting to be offcom telling me that my broadband has been compromised and will be cut off in the next 24 hours. I checked the number and it's the code for Barnsley (I'm in Barnsley), so I can't see it being from offcom! Has anyone got any clues as to what is going off? The full number was 01226735565. I don't intend ringing it back in case it's a scam.

9 REPLIES 9
jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

Re: Strange phone call. scam?

It's a long-running scam, @Porksley, with minor variations in the content. OFCOM, BT et al would never call you -if there were issues with your service, the call would come from your ISP. See http://uk.whocalledme.net/ for the rest of the scam calls - or at least those that people can be bothered to report.

John
Porksley
Dabbler

I entered the number into  the computer (which usually directs me to "whocalledme"). This didn't show anything at all for this number. Thats why I considered it strange.

jab1
Hero
Fixes: 19

These scam-artists did use to have a habit of using the same invalid number for a lot of their calls, but some of them have now caught on to sites such as the one you mention (and the one I mentioned), so they use random numbers that they hope haven't been reported.

John
Luzern
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 5

It's an unused number; a spoof.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
obbig

Just had the same thing.  Recorded message saying from "Your Internet provider" saying my connection would be closed within 24 hours unless I responded to the call.  I ignored it of course.

1471 gave a number 01733 091467

Luzern
Seasoned Champion

01733 0 series not allocated according to Magenta Code Look- a spoof.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

How about this one read earlier in Private Eye.

"As far as bank scams go, this is the worst we have ever seen, and it will take some beating", a police spokesman told reporters in Cheshire. "It's hard to believe anyone would fall for this letter from 'Mr Smith at 'Barclays', asking for the public to return their faulty debit cards, but just in case, we are issuing this warning."

The error strewn letter, sent randomly to homeowners, warns "Many of our bank costumers have reported have reported that their debit cards have caught fire while they are in wallets and purses, and so as a precushion we are issuing an URGENT safety recall. This is a matter of uppermost urgency as your card could create a pocket fire at any given moment, burning your legs and stomach terribly. This is because of a fault in the factory process at our debit card factory in Molten Keynes. Therefore, for your own safety and verification, please complete the bottom of this form, and return it with your debit card to the safety manager in Bangalore"

Manchester Evening News, 26/6/2019. 

Jonpe
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 9

If nothing else, I think the Post Office take a dim view of debit cards susceptible to spontaneous combustion being sent through the post.  Surely the 'Molten' Keynes factory would be obliged under consumer legislation to recall their faulty cards, presumably through the bank's local branch network.  In the meantime the customer can just rest his weary head on the precushion and dream of Bangalore.

Highlighted
Luzern
Seasoned Champion

"Molten Keynes" is that because the factory melted in the fire caused by those cards?Crazy