cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange order...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Strange order...

Watching a poor "B" stop some crank blowing up the Earth for cash type movie, Some of the "action" takes place on/in a submarine. An order is given "all head flank" Would one of you naval types out there care to explain this? To my uninitiated way of thinking, "ahead" means forward, "flank" means one of the sides.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
20 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Strange order...

Never been on a sub, let alone a U.S. sub..... it seems to be an american navy term.... (certainly isn`t used in the R.N.)
so , you will have to "ask a Yank....... to explain Flank"....  Cheesy
Don`t forget..... the yanks have weird names for part of cars (automobiles)    Hood...... bonnet    ... ... ... ... ..
Trunk.... boot.........
Fender ..... wing
Etc.>!>!
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

"all head flank" is the top speed of the boat, and yes a submarine is a boat.
Community Veteran

Well yes it was a US sub I think. You were my best hope shutter for this.
At face value, it just seems to me an impossible manoeuvre to go forwards and sideways at the same time.
But then as you say the Yanks use some strange language at times.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Ok thanks Gary, in what way does "flank" refer to speed?

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

As shutter said it is just one of them weird ways that the Americans say things.  We say top speed and the Americans say all head flank, well that is the nutty Americans for you.
Community Veteran

I've also heard American films talk about flank speed.  Don't know the etymology.
Community Veteran

Community Veteran

Yay!.... the R.N. equivalent of " Full Ahead Both".... (assuming two props were in use !)..... Or just "Full Ahead".....
Community Veteran

Ah! thanks guy's.
To be added to my fund of useless information...

pierre_pierre
Grafter

Community Veteran

FWIW
Historically faster than full speed (the most a vessel can sustain without excessive engine wear or risk of damage), now frequently used interchangeably. Typically used in an emergency or during an attack (All ahead flank!). Implies both flanks (sides) of the boat are moving at the same speed, so the boat is moving in a straight line (zero rudder), where as 'full speed'  may imply some degree of rudder.
Thought I remembered the order being given in the movie The battle of the river Plate by Anthony Quayle as Cdre. Harwood on HMS Ajax. ............................Hopefully somebody has a better memory
Community Veteran

have seen the Battle of the River Plate, several times,..... must have missed that...!  Undecided
Community Veteran

Funnily enough, by dredging the memory banks somewhat, I suspect Cpt James T Kirk of the starship Enterprise may have ordered "flank speed" at times...
Any dedicated Trekkies to confirm?
Maybe an order, but not as we know it.
Petlew stands by for reams of Star Trek puns...

Community Veteran

Quote from: shutter
Battle of the River Plate..... must have missed that...! 

If there's nothing else on the box this evening, I know which of my DVD's will be on. will confirm tomorrow.
Unusually, I felt Anthony Quayle over-acted his part to the point of hamming it up completely. Shame, as the rest were excellent.