cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange number plate??

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Strange number plate??

Saw a Lexus today, with a strange number plate. I can't recall exact numbers but the format was one letter, followed by six numbers.
                                                                      Y 183XXX. (the X's being the numbers I can't remember).
None of the numbers were 'altered'. with a space only between the single letter Y and the first number.
Done a trawl on the web, can't find anything like it.
Ideas anyone? Huh
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Strange number plate??

Polish diplomatic plates perhaps Undecided
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Poland
or Australia (NSW) more than likely (black on yellow, could be Alpha followed by 5/6 numeric)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Diplomatic plates usually take the form of six numbers divided by the letter D: example 123D789 the first three numbers relate to the embassy owning the car.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

Thanks journeys, had a look but nothing looks right. It was black on yellow, as per UK too.No euro stars or slogans either.
Devonian
Grafter

It sounds to me like a Jersey/Guernsey number plate/
These tend to be 1 letter, then 5 or 6 numbers, some times with a letter at the end, but not always.
It could also be Gibraltar, but I would imagine the Channel Isles being more likely.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Nope! Jersey plates are prefixed J and may be from three to six numbers, Guernsey plates, I'm not sure but I think they prefix G but may be confused with Gibraltar plates.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Possibly Norwegian plate as used on vehicles older than 1971 and from the  Finnmark region but how that got onto a Lexus I have no idea
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle_registration_plates_of_Norway
Vintage vehicles
Before 31 March 1971 there was only one letter on Norwegian registration plates.(later style Oslo plates had two digits in place of the letter)There was mostly between 3–6 digits but one and two digit plates exist.(e.g. the Royal House still use A-1, A2 and other similar numbers, and T-1 is the first "bus" or scheduled transport vehicle in Norway, a 1907 Unic. The car still exists and resides at Romsdalsmuseet in Molde, its home town.) The one-letter plates followed the owner and not the vehicle as per today, and the registration number could be re-used. Before 1913 registration plates did not have a letter.