cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange e-mail from DHL

penneck
Grafter

Strange e-mail from DHL

I've had two strange e-mails, one supposedly from DHL, the other from 'e-pay@e-hbs.net' whoever they are. I haven't opened either. I use Mailwasher so Mailwasher tells me they are still with PlusNet.
From what I can see of it on Mailwasher, the DHL e-mail says:-
"Through a delivery service DHL 13.03.2015 You have been sent a parcel, parcel weight 2k4 1.2 kg

The information and contents of the packages you can find in the file setting.zip (the password to the file: Z8FaMR).

Number for online tracking is in the file.
have a nice day!

Online delivery service DHL United Kingdom LTD."
The other e-mail says:-
"We recorded a payment request from ''www.HostGator.com'' to enable the charge of $2.95/month on your account.

Because the order was made from an European internet address, we put an Exception Payment.

THE PAYMENT IS PENDING FOR THE MOMENT.
The transaction will be shown on your monthly statement as "Web Hosting - www.HostGator.com".

If you didn't make this action and would like to decline the $2.95 billing to your card, please click here [links to ecoledcollection.com/fa/index.htm] and complete the process to cancel. "
The DHL e-mail is worded strangely. I cannot contact DHL to query it either. The DHL web-site 'Contact Us' page is only set up for businesses to contact them to discuss new work.
I've no idea what account they will be charging the monthly fee to
I don't want to open either of these in case it is a new way of getting nasties on my pc.
Have any of you seen this type of e-mail before, and did it turn out okay or bad news?
Thanks
8 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Strange e-mail from DHL

the first one is trying to mimic an  Australian banking site https://www.heritage.com.au/Online-Banking.aspx so the whole thing is obviously a scam unless you actually have an account with them and even if you do you should check via your normal login method
Kremmen
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I've seen those, as above never open the attachment be it zip xls or whatever, it'll contain a virus or trojan.
Let's be careful out there !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Two things come to mind, immediately........
1.  who would send you a parcel via DHL... without letting you know they were sending it. (for you to expect a deliveryof XXXX item)... and have you ordered anything, with a delivery by DHL ?
2. Similar to above... did you order anything to suggest a monthly debit to "your account" ?  AND . the payment expected is in $ ... so have you ordered anything from a  U.S.  website, that requires such a payment....  /
Probably answer... NO... to both...
therefore... disregard them... but... keep and eye on your bank account... just in case 
penneck
Grafter

Your thoughts were as mine.
Before I delete them, should I report these e-mails, and if so, who to?
cyrilclark1
Rising Star

Hello penneck, the UK DHL website www.dhl.co.uk has an article on its home page, under the subject; Important information, entitled, 'Fraudulent Email Alert.'

Fixes: 123

Even if I was expecting a delivery I never click on a link in an email and always enter the address manually or from a previously manually-entered bookmark.
I think that's good habit to get into.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Quite a few warning signs there:
"Through a delivery service DHL 13.03.2015 You have been sent a parcel, parcel weight 2k4 1.2 kg

A parcel you probably weren't expecting.

The information and contents of the packages you can find in the file setting.zip (the password to the file: Z8FaMR)
Oh dear, the old run a virus on your PC routine. If this were true, why can not this information be contained within an e-mail?
Number for online tracking is in the file.

To reinforce the need to run above virus, to get a random number for a fictitious package.
We recorded a payment request from ''www.HostGator.com'' to enable the charge of $2.95/month on your account.

Now you get a threat of a non-existent charge against your account details (which they don't know) to scare you even more into doing something which isn't a problem.
Ignore that shit and only take action if your card gets billed (it won't). Then take it up with them as an unauthorised transaction.
Community Veteran

I had a suspicious looking email yesterday from kristi.a36@business.telecomitalia.it - I deleted it.