cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strange Series of Events

Fixes: 47

Strange Series of Events

Last night I was watching the Blu-Ray film Super 8. I stopped it half way, switched everything off and went to bed.
My router has been syncing at 8128Kbs but last night at about 4 am it re-synced at 8064Kbs.
How do these two events fit together? Well at about 4 am this morning I was awoken by a loud noise downstairs.
I went down to find the TV and Blu-Ray on and Super 8 running.....everything had been turned off the night before.
Coincidentally I believe my Freesat box fires up around 4 am to check for updates.
The router log showed quite a bit of local network activity.
All very spooky.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
6 REPLIES
Fixes: 125

Re: Strange Series of Events

You sure you hadn't been watching Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocol? Wink

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 4

I've got my TV, DVD player etc hooked into an AV box which has a tendancy to turn things on when another item in the chain is turned on.  You got the same?  Perhaps the freesat box powered up, which turned the rest on Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Can I guess that you put the TV etc on stand-bye not off?
Turning the power off at the wall would guarantee that didn't happen again and save you money if that is what you do.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Fixes: 47

@Kelly Not like that but everything is networked and I've not noticed it happen before. Maybe it was a particular set of coincidences.
@jelv Yes the TV was on standby but in that state consumes <100mw so I'm not too concerned about electricity wastage Smiley
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I have a curious one of these events; In our living room we have a large ceiling fan with a built in light cluster (and very nice it is too in hot weather) it is controlled by a remote that selects 3 fan speed levels, lights on/off with a dimmer control.
A few times (not many) in the early morning I have come into the living room to find it bathed in bright light and the fan going at full speed. It was thought at one time that our cat had walked over the remote and pressed a button or two, but the remote has been left on a narrow shelf where she can't get to and it still occasionally happened.
It hasn't happened for a while now, we also noticed it would happen when a certain sequence of button presses for a DVD player remote were used. That particular player has been replaced. It was thought at one time it happened if that DVD recorder was left to timer record over night, but we're not sure.
The machines are fighting backl!!
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I dont know how far some of those remotes work, I had a reading light on a remote, as the main switch was difficult to reach.
I often did battle with one of the neighbours, their remote was on the same channel, asked the two immediate close ones, no it wasnt them.
switched mine to another channel, OK for several months then problem returned.  I had to get another set on a different frequency. no problem since